PDA

View Full Version : FREE Live Uke Lessons with Aldrine

rayan
09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
That's right. We're giving away some of the best ukulele instruction in the WORLD!

Originally we were planning to charge for this service, but we realize that money is tight right now for the most of us. Heck, the 3 of us are struggling too, and we wouldn't be able to afford to pay for something like this. With that being said, we're going to do the live streaming lessons with Aldrine every week for FREE starting this Wednesday at 2pm HST (5 pm PST, 8pm EST)

Here's the page you all need to be on Wednesday.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/live-lessons-with-aldrine/

We'll see how this goes, we'll decide to continue with the service depending on the response. Please let any and all of you friends know about this Wednesday if they are interested in learning the uke!

JoeyJr858
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
5pm? I'm still getting off work bros...

is there such thing as DVR or TiVo for computers? LOL j/k

but seriously, is it possible to repost the lesson on mogulus for those who might miss it? :D

dnewton2
09-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Very cool guys. I will definatly be there.:music:

rayan
09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
5pm? I'm still getting off work bros...

is there such thing as DVR or TiVo for computers? LOL j/k

but seriously, is it possible to repost the lesson on mogulus for those who might miss it? :D

You a pro already Joey! No need Aldrine's instruction. You should be teaching the classes. Oh wait, you already do!

Rod
09-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Ryan,

This is really awesome of you guys. Another check mark why UU is this best, and most giving, Ukulele forum on the net.

rayan
09-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Very cool guys. I will definatly be there.:music:

Nice! Come armed with your uke and questions!

deach
09-15-2008, 11:19 AM
This sounds like punk kid thing to do. :D

experimentjon
09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Wednesday, perfect, I wont be in class at that time. I just hope I remember, since two of my best friends leave for college that day, so my sorrows may be overwhelming my memory. XD I'll try to make it though. :)

Tim
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I like it..:D

haole
09-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Y'know, the fact that this is free actually makes me MORE willing to support UU financially. Can't wait to check it out! :D

Tim
09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Nothing wrong with donations either.

sukie
09-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I will definitely check it out. What a great opportunity for ukulele players.

freedive135
09-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Awesome thing for UU to do for US..
To bad thats when I am in my Uke 2 lessons, well only 5 more weeks till I can join you all, that is unless I get signed up for Uke 3 classes...

Will you be taping any of these for the site to watch later???

rayan
09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Awesome thing for UU to do for US..
To bad thats when I am in my Uke 2 lessons, well only 5 more weeks till I can join you all, that is unless I get signed up for Uke 3 classes...

Will you be taping any of these for the site to watch later???

We will be recording each session but the real fun is in the live chat. Ask anyone who has attended any UU stream, being there live is more than half the fun!

ke leo
09-15-2008, 07:16 PM
This is super cool of you guys!!! I can't make it this Wed., but I'll mark my calendar for the next one! Hana Hou!!!

redsedge
09-15-2008, 10:20 PM
We will be recording each session but the real fun is in the live chat. Ask anyone who has attended any UU stream, being there live is more than half the fun!

That's good to know - 5pm PST is 1am here in the UK, so even if I'm still up, I'm usually in no fit state to learn anything ...

david98116
09-15-2008, 10:52 PM
IPhone alarm set !! Sweet !!

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-15-2008, 11:01 PM
we, meaning australia are 20 hours ahead... so it will be 10am thursday... and i cant make it... -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

will it be saved??

Sayyadina
09-16-2008, 02:24 AM
That's good to know - 5pm PST is 1am here in the UK, so even if I'm still up, I'm usually in no fit state to learn anything ...

Same problem here in Germany. I'm glad you guys will be recording the lessons! That's an awesome thing of you to do btw! I'm really looking forward to it.

grappler
09-16-2008, 03:04 AM
we, meaning australia are 20 hours ahead... so it will be 10am thursday... and i cant make it... -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

will it be saved??

10am thursday? done deal!!

e10rice
09-16-2008, 04:06 AM
sweet i'll be there with my uke and questions!

Tonya
09-16-2008, 05:17 AM
I'll be there--and in future years I'll be able to say I was at the first one!

Do I just plan on clicking in and watching it via a fast connection--or is there something else we need to participate?

May I put this out in an e-mail to the people in our little ukulele group here in the wilds of rural Northern California?

rayan
09-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I'll be there--and in future years I'll be able to say I was at the first one!

Do I just plan on clicking in and watching it via a fast connection--or is there something else we need to participate?

May I put this out in an e-mail to the people in our little ukulele group here in the wilds of rural Northern California?

Hi Tonya! Please tell everyone you know! These lessons are going to be an incredible opportunity.

tripl3thr33
09-16-2008, 10:08 AM

haha, the epic chat. that was hilarious. you guys never cease to amaze me in your efforts for the UU community. just outta curiosity though, how long are the lessons gonna be?

rayan
09-16-2008, 10:39 AM
haha, the epic chat. that was hilarious. you guys never cease to amaze me in your efforts for the UU community. just outta curiosity though, how long are the lessons gonna be?

Maybe an hour to hour half. Not too. I have a feeling what will probably end up happening if a lot of people tune in, is we'll start having separate classes for beginning / intermediate / and advanced.

Poi Dog
09-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Maybe an hour to hour half. Not too. I have a feeling what will probably end up happening if a lot of people tune in, is we'll start having separate classes for beginning / intermediate / and advanced.

...and den two hours latahz... we could STILL be on chattin' & stuffs! :D

Never know - might end up like a couple of the Open Mic Days BS'ing with Aldrine while he's waiting for a ride and Rayan packin' up da furniture. BWAHAHAHAHAHAH! :rock:

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-16-2008, 11:04 PM
10am thursday? done deal!!

nooo!!
dont u have studies?

grappler
09-16-2008, 11:17 PM
nooo!!
dont u have studies?

Na i dont, ive graduated from uni. i start work at 2 2m so ill be tuning in!!

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-17-2008, 12:56 AM
ooh what u do?
graduated uni?
bro u look 17 haha!

grappler
09-17-2008, 01:24 AM
HAha no way?
im 22
HAHA.. seriously? do i look like a kid?

upskydowncloud
09-17-2008, 05:37 AM
This is really good of you guys, thank you! I'll try and be there but I think I may be in bed at that time (UK time).

julie
09-17-2008, 06:40 AM
I just posted this as a news item on my site :D

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

rayan
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I just posted this as a news item on my site :D

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

Nice! Thanks Julie!

Valerie
09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey! I just wanted to say that the chat box thingy uses IRC commands- so to change your handle from a long number to your name use the command

/nick yourname

To put in a *Thought* use
/me thought

And that is the extent of my knowledge of IRC commands...

rayan
09-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I hope everybody is in on this! It's going on right now.

dnewton2
09-17-2008, 02:33 PM
I hope everybody is in on this! It's going on right now.

I am there but unfortunaly I am on the road for work and there is a bad wireless connection at my hotel so I am missing out on alot of stuff, the video keeps freezing up. Guess I will have to check out recording when it is up. Should be home next week to see a live lesson in entirety. Thanks agian UU.;)

I requested Theme from Sanford and Son. Still a request if it wasn't covered in the lesson.:D

grappler
09-17-2008, 03:16 PM
awesome awseom
thanks aldrine

rayan
09-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for tuning in guys. Check back next week, same time, same place.

dinkadink
09-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey! I just wanted to say that the chat box thingy uses IRC commands- so to change your handle from a long number to your name use the command

/nick yourname

To put in a *Thought* use
/me thought

And that is the extent of my knowledge of IRC commands...

Thanks Valerie! Could you elaborate on that? I know nothing of IRC commands. Where do you put the "/nick yourname" thing?

haole
09-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks again, Aldrine! Anyone who can teach well AND put up with 52 screaming chat participants is a hero in my book.

dinkadink
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks Aldrine!! I'm gonna practice those strums until my fingers bleed! It was really kind of you to share your time with us!! See you next week!-Heather

rayan
09-17-2008, 03:31 PM
heres the recording for people who missed it.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/719836

Poi Dog
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
That was friggin' EPIC! Can't wait for next weeks lesson!

BTW- Rayan, you got mail! Times were in EST (since I'm on the East Coast obviously). LOL

deach
09-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Great show/lesson Aldrine!

kyle
09-17-2008, 04:16 PM
gahhhh i missed it.. but at least you guys recorded it. its nothing without the chat though!

Dominator
09-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Shucks! I was really slammed with the day job today and had to work late. Didn't even know about this until right now. Will check out the vid later. I'm sure it is the usual great stuff.

Dilphat
09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
i just caught a glimpse. it was still awesome! thanks for sharing the uke enlightenment with us. hahaha. hopefully i can catch more next time before going into class. or maybe, be slick in class and watch :cool:
sweet, there's a recording. yay :D

Tim
09-17-2008, 05:24 PM
:DCool man....missed the live..but the recording got me there.

rayan
09-17-2008, 05:51 PM
It would help us if you guys suggested topics for next week's lesson. Aldrine always has a hard time thinking of stuff to teach. And also if you think it's a good idea to do a beginners class and a separate advanced class.

Tim
09-17-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm definitely a beginner. Todays lesson was pretty easy though...and with practice...very cool.

As far a suggestions...I'll defer to the more experienced folks around here.

I was kinda tiered with where I'm at, but the lesson today fired me up and got me motivated...:rock:

JoeyJr858
09-17-2008, 09:30 PM
heres the recording for people who missed it.

Can't wait to watch it... AT WORK! haha

thanks for recording the sesh cuz!

choots!:D

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-17-2008, 11:41 PM
watch recording now.. thanks :D :D
had exams instead

i failed lmfao... it was out of 85 and i didnt attempt 2 20 marks questions.... so unless i get 100% on everything else... i will pass

but my one word answers dont help

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-18-2008, 12:30 AM
just finished watching it... meanest tutorial yet haha..
wanted to learn your way how to play it and i like it, i tried gutings but i cant do it :D
so this is how i will play it from now on.. thanks aldrine.

e10rice
09-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Man the Live lesson was great. Nice to get to be able to ask questions at will and i cant wait till next week.

freedive135
09-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks!!!! This was great like everything else you guys put up for us, glad you recorded it.
The strum lesson was the best, I'll be mixin that stuff up into some other songs too.
Way better than my lesson last night, what a train wreck that was!!!!

Aldrine would you do a version of the Crater Boy's song "Surf"? I know its a fairly easy song as far as chords but I bet you can KICK it up a few notches!!!!!

UkeNinja
09-20-2008, 04:28 AM
This was pretty successful if you ask me. Video was great here in Japan, sound cracked a bit at the end though. I feel sorry for posting useless comments, hope it didn't offend anyone. (edit: ah yes, and Aldrine, respect for staying so cool with all of us cackling together. Your experience teaching really showed.)

As for beginner / advanced, in my opinion you could leave it at one lesson and do the basics first and give a few tips / licks to make it more complicated afterwards. That way you keep the online lessons focused and everyone can be happy.

Now if I could only remember where I copy-pasted the chords Poi Dog was typing the whole time... that was really handy, +1 for you, man. Better watch the video again.

uke been to australia?
09-21-2008, 09:03 PM
hey guys im from sydney australia and i got no clue what time that would be for me.. does any1 have any idea?? thanks

grappler
09-21-2008, 09:27 PM
hey guys im from sydney australia and i got no clue what time that would be for me.. does any1 have any idea?? thanks

heyy! you missed it by a couple of days! =[
but its ok..
Its been recorded so heres the link of it so people that were busy can still check it out.

btw, it was aired on thursday 10am our(australian) time!
which is wednesday 1pm Hawaii Honolulu.

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-22-2008, 12:52 AM

20 hrs behind us bro... .. i swear it was 20 hrs behind us...
i thoguht it was 10am us and 2pm you, which makes 20 hrs whooo

Latinleaders
09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting the video. I wont bbe able to participate in many, if any of the live lessons since it'll 1am GMT here in London and I usually have work the next day. It means a lot that I'll be able to watch the video in my own time

Luckily for Me I have Thursday next week off so I'll try my best to stay up for that one.

Thanks again :):)

anaka
09-23-2008, 07:23 PM
*Don't Forget!*

Tomorrow (Wed. Sept 24) - Be sure to check back (@ 2pm HST, 5pm PST, 8pm EST) for another FREE LIVE lesson!

Right here: Aldrine's Live Lessons (http://ukuleleunderground.com/live-lessons-with-aldrine/)

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-23-2008, 10:15 PM
i cant watch it... miss it again, going beach...

ah well - as long as i can watch afterwards.. all good.

14twelve
09-24-2008, 12:54 AM
I can't wait!! This will probably be the first and only time I get to see it live. Usually I'd be at work, but am on holidays for another week. Looking forward to tomorrow!! :D

Jack
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
why is it i get home from school at 6 and it starts at 5? lol i need to manage my time :p

freedive135
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM
How was the lesson???
I was at my lessons and we worked on Jack Johnsons "Breakdown"!!!!

Kaneohe til the end
09-24-2008, 08:20 PM
you can watch it for yourself, but mainly, he answered alot of questions. it was like uke got mail times over 9000

davoomac
09-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Man I wish I could tune in for this! Aldrine's wednesday 2pm lessons start during school hours..

Can someone post up the notes from the lessons? :)

rayan
09-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Heres the link to the yesterday's live lesson. For those who missed it, after the lesson, the Q&A from the chat quickly escalated into a barrage of questions. It was quite epic. Over 100 uke players tuning in yesterday, hopefully you all can make it next week because the chats are not to be missed.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/737583

polynesianpop
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Heres the link to the yesterday's live lesson. For those who missed it, after the lesson, the Q&A from the chat quickly escalated into a barrage of questions. It was quite epic. Over 100 uke players tuning in yesterday, hopefully you all can make it next week because the chats are not to be missed.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/737583

Apparantly, I was the only one who didn't know how to submit a question! I think there was something wrong with my computer or something. :confused:

Dilphat
09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Apparantly, I was the only one who didn't know how to submit a question! I think there was something wrong with my computer or something. :confused:

even though i tuned in for a bit (10 minutes), for some reason the chat box or anything doesn't show up for me. all i get is the video. idk why. you getting same thing? :confused:

KoloheBoy
09-25-2008, 04:52 PM
please Teach
Drop
Baby
Drop :d:d

KoloheBoy
09-25-2008, 04:53 PM
please Teach
Drop
Baby
Drop :D:D

KoloheBoy
09-25-2008, 04:54 PM
teach It!!!!!!

KoloheBoy
09-25-2008, 04:55 PM
aldrine Guerrero Is theeemannnnn

KoloheBoy
09-25-2008, 04:55 PM
thankyou!!!

Teach Drop Baby Drop!!! Your Awesome !!! :d:d We Love You Aldrine!!!!!! :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-25-2008, 06:10 PM
^ wow...

good lesson, had to gap it though

watch it later.

polynesianpop
09-25-2008, 07:24 PM
even though i tuned in for a bit (10 minutes), for some reason the chat box or anything doesn't show up for me. all i get is the video. idk why. you getting same thing? :confused:

Same thing for me. During the whole lesson there was a little text at the top of a big white area that says "chat loading" or something like that... :(

dinkadink
09-25-2008, 07:50 PM

The same thing happened to me in the beginning. After I closed and then re-opened the page, it worked for me. I think it could have been a traffic issue, a lot of people logging on at the same time.

upskydowncloud
09-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I caught the first 10 minutes of the lesson but had to be up for college the next day, it started at 1am for me in England! It was really good though, he's a very patient chap.

Is there any chance Aldrine could teach the Zelda overworld tune from his Zelda Medley on youtube? It's the second song he plays and starts at 0:38, I've worked out the first 9 notes but get stuck from there and would appreciate a super quick lesson on it.

Janita K
09-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Hey Aldrine...firstly, thanks for the video lessons. I cant be online for the live version, so accessing the lesson afterwards online is fantastic.
Really enjoyed learning a different kind of strum / pick with (I'm guessing) a Bosa Nova type rhythm to it.
Suggestions for future lessons?
You mentioned in the lesson that you have 6 ukes. Could you show us them all, and describe what you like about each one?
I am guessing again that uke players start out with a soprano. Where will/should/can that lead me? To a tenor? Why?
What can you get out of a tenor or concert or baritone that you cant get out of a soprano? What will you never learn if you only ever play a soprano? What would I be missing?
Also...I think you are an excellent teacher...very positive, upbeat and dont rush it.
For the live lessons, must admit I find all the silly questions a bit irritating. But I suppose eventually people will run out of silly questions and we can just stick to learning the uke.
Another point...on the subject of books etc you mentioned that you learnt by mostly jamming with others and I agree this would be the best and most fun way to learn any instrument...but..for a lot of uke players (me included), I dont have anyone else to jam with, and so your lessons and others on the net are my only chance of playing with others (until a uke club starts up in my town), so for that reason alone, your lessons are reallly really really valuable.
So thanks for all your efforts, I enjoy them heaps, and try and nail down Ryan to stay close by for your next lesson. Did you know he was raiding your fridge during the vid???:eek:
How bout teaching us the song that you were first taught...Something about surfing?
Till next Wednesday.
Janita
(Oz Member of the Order of the Uke):bowdown:

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM
pretty good... 5 lessons a month.. or techniques + uke minutes..

im so grateful (sp? "/)

rayan
10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Don't forget, live lessons with Aldrine today. Starting in about 25 minutes.

dnewton2
10-08-2008, 01:48 PM
About 12 min till they start time to check them out

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-09-2008, 06:24 AM
bro Aldrine loving u mroe everyday..

encouraging me to play more and better

these bob marley songs... loving them!

HaileISela
10-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm just wondering why there are no recordings of the last live lessons... I'm not able to watch them live, since it's about 2am when you do them, so I was glad there were recordings... but now there are no new...

Selah
HaileISela

rayan
10-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm just wondering why there are no recordings of the last live lessons... I'm not able to watch them live, since it's about 2am when you do them, so I was glad there were recordings... but now there are no new...

Selah
HaileISela

They were both recorded, i just didn't update the page yet. let me do that now.

HaileISela
10-11-2008, 02:02 PM
They were both recorded, i just didn't update the page yet. let me do that now.

Thanks a lot! The UU definitely improved my life... It's amazing to have a source to learn Uke like that, you do a great job

Selah
HaileISela

HaileISela
10-12-2008, 06:46 AM
uhm, I think you did something with the links, both links refer to the older recording...

puremarkska
10-12-2008, 09:10 AM
If you go to the UStream page, there should be four icons below the main video where you can view the older lessons.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ukulele-lessons-with-aldrine

HaileISela
10-12-2008, 09:40 AM
well, yeah, I figured that out myself, but it would be nice if the links would be correct though...

Sayyadina
10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Those videos work just fine... no idea why they wouldn't work for you.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-26-2008, 01:29 AM
can i suggest

"ill be here a while"

i have been listening to it a lot lately and i want to learn the 1st part.. the 1st 20seconds or whatever..

i cud prob get the chords down if watching it a few times and the strumming.

but yeh, just an option.

rayan
11-19-2008, 12:37 PM
After a one week hiatus, live lessons are back and starting in 20 minutes!

http://ukuleleunderground.com/live-lessons-with-aldrine/

rayan
11-26-2008, 01:13 PM
It's wednesday, live lesson on right now! We might play mystery door today.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ukulele-lessons-with-aldrine

Aldrine Guerrero
11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
This weeks live lesson was hella fun hahaha

Kaneohe til the end
11-26-2008, 07:35 PM

that damned orange cone. so elusive

Kateri
11-27-2008, 12:18 AM

We should play pictionary after EVERY live lesson. lol

Who caught the pictionary?

Kaneohe til the end
11-27-2008, 10:54 AM

i caught it on twitter too late

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-27-2008, 07:03 PM

haha as we should!

i've never caught it live, but i was only out by 6 minutes this week!!!

getting closer!

Heelohawaiian
10-18-2009, 12:32 PM
What eva you guys decide to do keep us posted. See u on Wednesday.