PDA

View Full Version : Strumming Finger Acrylic Nail

cartman
11-14-2011, 07:50 AM
This is my first post. Hello everyone. I am happy to be here and excited about the prospects.

I am posting to share what I have learned about acrylic nails. I learned strumming with the index finger of my right hand, and I practice a lot. I finally wore down the nail at the corner until the flesh was exposed and it hurt too much to play. I read about hard-as-nails, but that didn't seem like it would work, so I walked down to the neighborhood nail salon to check out getting an acrylic nail.

The ladies there were very friendly and had no problem putting on only one nail. She first smoothed my nail down some with a dremmel tool and then she painted on some clear material that looked like glue. Well, that was to be my nail. I had the idea she was going to glue a fake nail onto my finger, but I was wrong. This is way better than that. She had me hold it under a lamp til it dried, and then she filed it and took the dremmel to it until I liked the length. That was it.

I am very happy with it. It is perfectly clear, and I can totally see my damaged nail underneath. It is also hard, and I get a great sound from my uke using it. I was surprised how easy it was to get done and how well it turned out. She charged me $3.00. I gave her a five and told her to keep the change.

It has been three days, and so far I have no regrets. If anyone is considering this fix I can recommend it wholeheartedly.

sukie
11-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Good for you. However, I will tell you -- once you take off that fake nail your real nail will be very weak. And you will also have to be going in to get it freshened up. Net time you might want to try the nail hardeners. They do work. Another great way to get harder nails is to get the tool that lets you file down the ridges of the nail and shine the nails. Usually a 4-sided tool. Available at most drugstores or discount beauty supply stores. I don't understand how buffing my nails makes them harder, but it does.

cartman
11-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Good for you. However, I will tell you -- once you take off that fake nail your real nail will be very weak. And you will also have to be going in to get it freshened up. Net time you might want to try the nail hardeners. They do work. Another great way to get harder nails is to get the tool that lets you file down the ridges of the nail and shine the nails. Usually a 4-sided tool. Available at most drugstores or discount beauty supply stores. I don't understand how buffing my nails makes them harder, but it does.

Thanks for the advice. That sounds good. In my case my nail was beyond the hardener stage. It had gotten pretty wrecked. I hadn't been paying attention, and it was worn down to the quick. There are nail hardeners at RiteAid, and I read about one called which is a little more pricey. Do you have any opinions about these?

NoahOathKeeper
11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
is peoples nails not being hard enough to play ukulele really a common issue ?

australe
11-26-2011, 03:28 AM
Kudos on coming up with that idea!

This seems to be a thread that needs a female opinion, so I'll lay it out there for you. The nice thing about getting a coating like that instead of a full acrylic nail is you wont have to worry about it popping off, I still HATE how they file your nail down with a dremel tool though and it will over a long period of time injure your nails. And as your nail grows out you are going to have to go back and get the untreated nail touched up. I still like the idea of getting an acrylic coating WAY better than an actual acrylic nail though.

If you want harder nails the first step you should take it taking a good quality multivitamin, I have nice nails and sometimes I get out of the habit of taking my vitamin every day, I will actually see a ridge in my nail thats thinner as it grows out and can tell thats where I didn't take my vitamin.

I personally also use Nail Magic, its a nice thin clear coat that I've had really good results from, its super quick drying too which is nice. http://www.nailmagic.com/page1.aspx it can be gotten at Sally's for a few bucks, and is worth the small investment. Expect a few weeks though before you notice a huge difference with nail hardeners.

sukie
11-26-2011, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE=cartman;803009]Thanks for the advice. That sounds good. In my case my nail was beyond the hardener stage. It had gotten pretty wrecked. I hadn't been paying attention, and it was worn down to the quick. There are nail hardeners at RiteAid, and I read about one called which is a little more pricey. Do you have any opinions about these?[/QUOTE

I think they all pretty much work. "Nailtiques" was recommended to me by a Walgreen's employee as one of the best. She was right. Sally Hansen nail hardener isn't too bad either.

cartman
11-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Kudos on coming up with that idea!

This seems to be a thread that needs a female opinion, so I'll lay it out there for you. The nice thing about getting a coating like that instead of a full acrylic nail is you wont have to worry about it popping off, I still HATE how they file your nail down with a dremel tool though and it will over a long period of time injure your nails. And as your nail grows out you are going to have to go back and get the untreated nail touched up. I still like the idea of getting an acrylic coating WAY better than an actual acrylic nail though.

If you want harder nails the first step you should take it taking a good quality multivitamin, I have nice nails and sometimes I get out of the habit of taking my vitamin every day, I will actually see a ridge in my nail thats thinner as it grows out and can tell thats where I didn't take my vitamin.

I personally also use Nail Magic, its a nice thin clear coat that I've had really good results from, its super quick drying too which is nice. http://www.nailmagic.com/page1.aspx it can be gotten at Sally's for a few bucks, and is worth the small investment. Expect a few weeks though before you notice a huge difference with nail hardeners.

Thanks for the note, Australe. My nail is growing out, and I see where I would need a "fill" if I had a beautifully colored nail. Since the coating nail is almost clear, I don't think I will bother. The nail salon lady said I don't need to remove the acrylic coating; just let it grow out. My nails aren't really weak. My nail just wore down at the corner until it was down to raw flesh. Once I am back to my natual nail I think using something like nail magic will do the trick. I got some Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Diamond Shine after seeing it recommended online. I think it will do the trick. I do wish it wasn't quite so shiny though. Still, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Gmoney
11-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Here's a "how-to" by none other than James Taylor on how he does it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqISqpMRo8

Possibly overkill w/uke strings, but its great to watch a true master musician talk about this aspect of his craft.

Mahalo!

Lori
11-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Here's a "how-to" by none other than James Taylor on how he does it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqISqpMRo8

Possibly overkill w/uke strings, but its great to watch a true master musician talk about this aspect of his craft.

Mahalo!
I ended up trying the James Taylor method last month. The winter makes my fingernails especially brittle, and they start to tear. I ordered some supplies, mesh/ resin/ hardener kit and repaired a nail a week before a performance. The method worked well, and with occasional superglue touch ups, got me through the week. Eventually, the whole thing fell off by itself, (it disappeared in my sleep) and the nail underneath looked very healthy. By that time the nail had grown out enough to use it for fingerpicking again. If I started to get a small tear again, I would make a small mesh patch and repair it before it gets too bad.

I didn't feel that SH Hard as Nails helped me much.

–Lori

mm stan
11-26-2011, 06:52 AM
yes water does soften the nails... washing dishes and bathing cannot be avoided I guess...gloves...
and your nails need to breathe I guess, the get soft and thinner when you put those fake nails on...try the finger picks...you gotta get used to those however..