No more guts

Just picked up my first (and last for a while it looks like) set of Aquila gut strings from Elderly. Whew.

I tried these on my vintage Martin. They sounded amazing for about 6 weeks, and then "died".

does this mean no more nylgut?

I tried these on my vintage Martin. They sounded amazing for about 6 weeks, and then "died".

I tried these on my vintage Martin, too. They sounded amazing for about 6 weeks (or less), and then "died".

I really hope gut doesn't disappear. It has some unique qualities that Nylgut can't quite duplicate.

I don't know if their sources will dry up as well, but for the time being, LaBella still has them in their Historical Strings:

https://www.labella.com/laplaza/ind_strings/default.asp

Anybody know what laws this cr@p is based on? and who in the EU bureaucracy is responsible for it?
Might make sense to contact some EU politicians 'representing' your country.

Cheers,
Noldi

It doesn't bother me to be honest. They're still making nylgut and that's the only type I've tried. I've never heard actual gut strings being highly recommended by anyone (aquila nylgut and worth brown are the two I see people recommend the most).

Besides, the idea of playing cattle intestines is kind of gross (yeah I know, it's probably highly processed to the point that nobody could tell what it is, like eating hot dogs) and I imagine synthetic strings last longer and are designed to have a more consistent sound.

Top Bottom