PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a name

ukebuilder
11-14-2011, 11:27 AM
I am wanting to make a name for my new ukes, and not sure what to call it. I made many three stringers and used the name copper indian guitars because I inlaid a old indian head penny in the fret board. For this new uke venture I thought it might be better to find a better name, something to fit the Hawaiian style uke. I have tried to rearrange my name to make it sound Hawaiian but nothing sounds good to me. So I thought maybe you guys would have cool names that I could pick from to use as my business name, Just to make it interesting I am going to make the winner, or the one I use one of my old style cigar box ukes. It has to be something I can use and not something already in use. Thanks.

Tudorp
11-14-2011, 11:56 AM
for names, I like to use something that pertains to the uke, or maybe yourself since it will be a "logo" sort of speak. I love to make "plays" on words, names that someone might not understand until it is explained to them, and then they slap their forehead and say "Ooohh... Ok, now I get it..." hahhah.. Having a hawaiian sound to me wouldn't be that important, unless of course you are from Hawaii, or building your ukes in Hawaii. For that matter, might be missleading, or "fake". Just my opinion... I am a retired "advertising" type guy. I used to do graphics design, and designed logos, company names, and other signage and stuff like that for a living. I had a small graphics shop, and have had pretty cool success coming up with names, or "images" for companies. But, I contribute that success to knowing the customers (business owners), their business, and their target audience. PM me if you would like some more help, because I would like to know more about you, what you build, and how you started etc, and we might be able to come up with something cool for ya..

BashfulPuppet
11-14-2011, 12:43 PM
You mentioned making the name a play on your name. Would you be willing to share your name for those of us who don't know it?

mm stan
11-14-2011, 12:58 PM
The uke is from Hawaii...so I thought of.. Nanea
Means relax, enjoyable, have fun and fascinating....

molokinirum
11-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Do a search on the net for female or male Hawaiian names. You will get the names and the meaning behind each name. Then pick the name that has a special meaning to you.

PhilUSAFRet
11-14-2011, 03:13 PM
How about "Vancouver Island Ukuleles" and your headstock logo could be VI, or perhaps just a fancy V

coriandre
11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
How about "Vanuke" ?

ukebuilder
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys,
You have all given me something to think about. I was just thinking that using a Hawaiian name would be cool but your right it would be misleading to someone that did not know. I was only thinking about a local company that has a Hawaiian sounding name and they are here is Washington like me. Just so most of you know I live in Vancouver Washington not Canada. I am still willing to make a cigarbox uke for the person that either gives me the insight or idea that leads to a name. I suck at it and want something that is cool. My name is Kevin Lee Morgan for the ones that asked. I am from the Portland Oregon area but have lived in Washington sense 1997. I have been into working with wood all my life and I am a machinist by trade. My instruments have all been top notch. I have made cigar box everything and also made a number of fan tail type three string dulcimers. I have played with bent side bodies a little with steaming but never like a uke. I feel a calling to stick with one type of instrument and I feel strongly that it is a uke. I am on my way with my first and will post pics as soon as I can. I just know from past experience that one sells more then more and I want a new name due to changing to a complete different style. I am also wanting to stop using the indian head penny as my stash is really low. I had collected them for years and now I am down to the ones I don't want to loose. Anyway thanks for the help and I hope I find the name soon.

Trinimon
11-14-2011, 04:06 PM
How about

Ku'i Kaula - beat/hit strings
Kaula - the name of the strings on a ukulele or guitar
Le'ale'a - playful
'Alohi - bright, shine, sparkle, brilliant

Just verify the translation just to be sure. :p

ukebuilder
11-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Funny story, I was mixing up my name to make a cool sounding word and the wife said I need to make sure it is not offensive or means something weird. She laughed and said my luck it will end up meaning like, "DEAD CHICKEN UKES" or something. LOL Had to share.

coriandre
11-14-2011, 05:19 PM
You could simply use your name "Morgan" sounds good to me. You could use your initials "KLM". A variation from your name "Kevlee" or "KL Morgan". You can use geographical features from your region "Columbia river" or " Mount Vista". If you want more of an island flare, you could use an animal like "Gecko" with the animal as a logo.

zac987
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I think you could still use something with "Indian" in the name. It certainly sounds more mainland-y, which I think mainland builders should embrace more often. It also sounds cryptic and cool.

Copper Indian Ukuleles. You could use a feather as your headstock logo.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Cascadia Ukuleles---headstock logo could be the proud silhouette of Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Hood.

Columbia Ukueles---a stars & stripes logo would be cool for this, or a salmon leaping up stream

Trinimon
11-14-2011, 06:07 PM
I looked up some Chinook words since they were supposedly native to Vancouver, found a few:

Kalakala - bird
Sopen Inapoo - Jumping flea
Melakwa - mosquito

arturo7
11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Bill

kamaka_4_life
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
I would name my Uke after someone very special to me :)

MisterRios
11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Maybe it's the influence of living in Germany and its often strange words, but I would go with "Morganland" which is a play on your name and "Morgenland" which means literally "Tomorrow Land" but is, in this sense the "Orient". See:http://www.dict.cc/?s=Morgenland

Dict.cc also translates it as "Levant" which is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levant

Of course, it might be a stretch for you, and it might also be really weird to create a land based on your name, so to speak, especially one that has no uke connection.

SuzukHammer
11-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Northern Star
Chanook

mm stan
11-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys,
You have all given me something to think about. I was just thinking that using a Hawaiian name would be cool but your right it would be misleading to someone that did not know. I was only thinking about a local company that has a Hawaiian sounding name and they are here is Washington like me. Just so most of you know I live in Vancouver Washington not Canada. I am still willing to make a cigarbox uke for the person that either gives me the insight or idea that leads to a name. I suck at it and want something that is cool. My name is Kevin Lee Morgan for the ones that asked. I am from the Portland Oregon area but have lived in Washington sense 1997. I have been into working with wood all my life and I am a machinist by trade. My instruments have all been top notch. I have made cigar box everything and also made a number of fan tail type three string dulcimers. I have played with bent side bodies a little with steaming but never like a uke. I feel a calling to stick with one type of instrument and I feel strongly that it is a uke. I am on my way with my first and will post pics as soon as I can. I just know from past experience that one sells more then more and I want a new name due to changing to a complete different style. I am also wanting to stop using the indian head penny as my stash is really low. I had collected them for years and now I am down to the ones I don't want to loose. Anyway thanks for the help and I hope I find the name soon.

How about Evergreen Ukes...as Evergreen is Washington State's nickname...

Tudorp
11-15-2011, 01:04 AM
"Goldfinch Ukes", Uke the Carduelis tristis (bird) as a logo.

You might know this is the Washington State bird.. ;)

Some version of this would be a cool logo..
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1310877031353&id=a2362fc02e64cee8728f9452830dd68c

The state bird with the state flower..

metricfuture
11-15-2011, 01:56 AM
I would keep with the currency theme and find another coin to take the place of the ones you've been using (I think I saw a link of yours on another thread and it looked pretty sharp).

Kem
11-15-2011, 02:06 AM
Re. the currency: you could just simplify it to Lucky Penny Ukes, which is memorable and gives you the option of using ANY pretty penny.

metricfuture
11-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Lucky Penny is already an instrument manufacturer that makes ukes, unfortunately.

Maybe not the easiest currency to get your hands on, but this would be right up your alley:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Morgan_silver_dollar.jpg

That way you could use your name and keep your original theme. Can't find scads of the original? You could always buy one and cast it (as long as you're not planning on spending it, that should be perfectly legal).

Kem
11-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Lucky Penny is already an instrument manufacturer that makes ukes, unfortunately.

Maybe not the easiest currency to get your hands on, but this would be right up your alley:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Morgan_silver_dollar.jpg

That way you could use your name and keep your original theme. Can't find scads of the original? You could always buy one and cast it (as long as you're not planning on spending it, that should be perfectly legal).

Oops...I did not know about Lucky Penny Music. Apparently, I should have gone a-Googling before making the suggestion.

Okay, then: appeal to all those ukulele rebels out there and call your company Bad Penny Ukes. Bad pennies are always turning up, so yay.

Tudorp
11-15-2011, 03:20 AM
I collect real silver coins, and the Morgan Silver Dollar is my personal favorite, and IMHO the most beautiful of the US coinage. I have several, and they can get costly as they are highly collectible, (not to mention 95% silver content). But, casting one and making resin copies would be a cool "badge" of sorts to inlay (like suggested above). Those could be cast pretty easily, and poured from resin pretty cost effective, and would look awesome as an inlay. Especially the "tail" side..

http://www.govmint.com/prod_images/W222572_3.jpg

Change the name to "Silver Dollar Ukes" ...

dakamaainahaole
11-15-2011, 04:41 AM
how about Ho'omalimali Kine ... lol the Ho'omalimali part mean "to flatter"... kine meaning...well... Hawaiian kind! and everyone feels flattered and lifted when a uke is playing for them.

Tudorp
11-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Also, another cool looking silver dollar is the "Peace" Silver Dollar.

http://www.luckyfinder1.com/image/1922_1.jpg http://www.luckyfinder1.com/image/1922_2.jpg

However, a dollar might be really too big. Another cool era of smaller silver coins is the Mercury Dime is a nice looking coin, but earlier are the "Barber" coins from the 1800s.

http://www.numismaster.com/images/uploaded/60807/ArtLargImg9819.jpg These are dimes, nickels, quaters, and halfs, and might fit in the headstock or fretboard better..

Tudorp
11-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Or how about "Victory Ukes", using what I always refered to as the "Victory" Nickel. Many called them this, but the "V" is really the roman numeral for "5" as in five cents.. ;)

http://websitepicturesonly.coinauctionshelp.com/New_US_COIN_IMAGES/Nickels/1866vnickel.jpg

Gadzukes!
11-15-2011, 05:48 AM
If you still like the Hawaiian name, how about Hōkūle'a? It's the "zenith" star for Hawaii, the one the early settlers used to guide them to the island. The star as we know it is called Arcturus, but to the Hawaiians it means "star of joy."

Hōkūle'a Ukuleke has a nice sound to it, and a star could be a nice logo.

If you like the idea let me know and I'd be happy to come up with a logo and logotype for you in exchange for a uke (I have many years of design experience).

BadLands Bart
11-15-2011, 05:55 AM
I am wanting to make a name for my new ukes, and not sure what to call it. I made many three stringers and used the name copper indian guitars because I inlaid a old indian head penny in the fret board. For this new uke venture I thought it might be better to find a better name, something to fit the Hawaiian style uke. I have tried to rearrange my name to make it sound Hawaiian but nothing sounds good to me. So I thought maybe you guys would have cool names that I could pick from to use as my business name, Just to make it interesting I am going to make the winner, or the one I use one of my old style cigar box ukes. It has to be something I can use and not something already in use. Thanks.

Sounds like a contest!! You should have this moved to the contes forum, and you will get tons more "help"!

molokinirum
11-15-2011, 06:04 AM
If you are looking for a Hawaiian name how about this:

Kevin in Hawaiian is Kweina
Lee is Li
Morgan is Mokana.....

So how about Mokana Ukuleles or some other combination?

poppy
11-15-2011, 06:12 AM
i really like the coin thing ,but think you need a simpler coin one easy to aquire. I kinda ran thru the state quaters in your area my favorite would be montana's inlaid in the head stock, Ukes name
Big Sky Ukes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_State_Quarters
it is the bison head with the big sky country logo.
many others to chose from and should be able to get a supply of any of them for a resonable amount

mascompro
11-15-2011, 06:31 AM
The gold "toned" Sacagawea dollar would be a pretty cool inlay

Kem
11-15-2011, 07:47 AM
I shall keep running with coin-related names because I like them. "Lucky Penny" is out because of Lucky Penny Music, but there's always "Magic Penny"; in fact, there's a song called "Magic Penny." "Bad Penny" is ironic, "Penny Dreadful" is self-deprecating, "Thin Dime" is...er...coin-related too, "Wooden Nickel" mentions wood AND coins (bonus!), and "Pretty Penny" sounds like something a parrot might say. There are plenty of useful coin-related terms out there.

Gadzukes!
11-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Buffalo Head nickels are a dime a dozen (OK, not really). Small enough to fit in a headstock, not difficult to acquire, and pretty cool looking.

rem50
11-15-2011, 10:55 AM
How about
nickel creek ukes?
pacific coast ukes?
Mountain view ukes?
Rock bottom ukes?

I know I am getting dumb. Just trying to help. :)

ukebuilder
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Wow, you guys have helped a bunch. I have a few I like and a couple I love. I will leave this open till the weeks end and then pick one. The reason I asked for help and said free cigar box uke is because I know insensitive helps sometimes, plus people will see what I have been up to the last four years. It will be my last one unless someone orders one. I have a bunch of boxes but I am open to the winner picking a box. As long as it is pretty easy to get. Thanks to all of you that have great ideas. My dad builds cigar box guitars and his name is nickel back guitars. he calls it this because he inlays a nickel in the instrument and when you buy one you get a nickel back. I am sure I could do something similar but I love all the other ideas. This will be a hard decision.

metricfuture
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Also keeping with the coin theme:
Small Change Ukulele (ukes are pretty small instruments, change means not only currency, but that yours are different from the others)

It could also be a shout out to Tom Waits, which would be a selling point to yours truly, at least.

ukebuilder
11-16-2011, 07:49 AM
I ave it narrowed down to three names and will be posting my decision at the end of the week. Thanks for all the help and looking forward to this new venture.

OldePhart
11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
"Looking for a name"

Hmmm, I've always been partial to "John" ;)

John

11-17-2011, 04:49 AM
if it means anything, Hawaiians have been in specifically Vancouver, WA and the Northwest and California since the early 1900s. Mostly young men in the trading industry. Married into the population, so probably get plenty pinky hapa around. Kalama, WA is named after a Kanaka Maoli. Kanaka Village was an early settlement just east of Vancouver. Owhyee River in Oregon builds on the phonetic sounds of Hawai`i. IMHO, some place names were probably assumed to be Native American names when in fact, they are Hawaiian. I also heard stories from a friend who said Hawaiians were hired during the Gold Rush days to dive into rivers to bring up buckets of dirt to filter for gold. I remember in recent times (lol like the 80s and 90s), there was an agreement betw a few of the WA state schools with Hawai`i, that residents of Hawai`i could go to UW or WSU for in-state tuition. So get a large Hawaiian/Local community there still.

rem50
11-17-2011, 07:20 AM
looking forward to seeing what you picked!

Trinimon
11-17-2011, 07:40 AM
That's some pretty cool history there!

if it means anything, Hawaiians have been in specifically Vancouver, WA and the Northwest and California since the early 1900s. Mostly young men in the trading industry. Married into the population, so probably get plenty pinky hapa around. Kalama, WA is named after a Kanaka Maoli. Kanaka Village was an early settlement just east of Vancouver. Owhyee River in Oregon builds on the phonetic sounds of Hawai`i. IMHO, some place names were probably assumed to be Native American names when in fact, they are Hawaiian. I also heard stories from a friend who said Hawaiians were hired during the Gold Rush days to dive into rivers to bring up buckets of dirt to filter for gold. I remember in recent times (lol like the 80s and 90s), there was an agreement betw a few of the WA state schools with Hawai`i, that residents of Hawai`i could go to UW or WSU for in-state tuition. So get a large Hawaiian/Local community there still.

ukebuilder
11-18-2011, 05:18 PM
I think you could still use something with "Indian" in the name. It certainly sounds more mainland-y, which I think mainland builders should embrace more often. It also sounds cryptic and cool.

Copper Indian Ukuleles. You could use a feather as your headstock logo.

Ok after much thought and back and fourth I have decided to stick with the coin inlay and using my old Indian penny's. I found a new supply and the wife and daughter insist I still use them. But to change it up and am going with COPPER INDIAN UKULELE'S I love that it still says mainland and also uses what I have in the past and makes the head stock simple with one inlaid in it. I can also use a simple feather for a simpler style and the penny on a higher end. Wow am I looking into the future or what. Thanks to all for all the suggestions and congrats to zac987 for the free cigar box uke.

Hippie Dribble
11-18-2011, 05:24 PM
this has been an awesome thread...very interesting seeing inside people's heads and reading of some broader historical and social circumstances. Hmmm...wonder why this thread was given a 2 star rating...seems weird to me

Congrats Zac and all the best ukebuilder on your new venture!

zac987
11-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Oh man, that's awesome! I'm excited :)

rem50
11-19-2011, 07:01 AM
congrats! Be sure and share a pic when you get the new uke!

Trinimon
11-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Congrats and ditto rem50, post some pics! :)