Looking for a name

ukebuilder

Reaction score
Looking for a name"WINNER"

I am wanting to make a name for my new ukes, and not sure what to call it. I made many three stringers and used the name copper indian guitars because I inlaid a old indian head penny in the fret board. For this new uke venture I thought it might be better to find a better name, something to fit the Hawaiian style uke. I have tried to rearrange my name to make it sound Hawaiian but nothing sounds good to me. So I thought maybe you guys would have cool names that I could pick from to use as my business name, Just to make it interesting I am going to make the winner, or the one I use one of my old style cigar box ukes. It has to be something I can use and not something already in use. Thanks.

Last edited:
for names, I like to use something that pertains to the uke, or maybe yourself since it will be a "logo" sort of speak. I love to make "plays" on words, names that someone might not understand until it is explained to them, and then they slap their forehead and say "Ooohh... Ok, now I get it..." hahhah.. Having a hawaiian sound to me wouldn't be that important, unless of course you are from Hawaii, or building your ukes in Hawaii. For that matter, might be missleading, or "fake". Just my opinion... I am a retired "advertising" type guy. I used to do graphics design, and designed logos, company names, and other signage and stuff like that for a living. I had a small graphics shop, and have had pretty cool success coming up with names, or "images" for companies. But, I contribute that success to knowing the customers (business owners), their business, and their target audience. PM me if you would like some more help, because I would like to know more about you, what you build, and how you started etc, and we might be able to come up with something cool for ya..

The uke is from Hawaii...so I thought of.. Nanea
Means relax, enjoyable, have fun and fascinating....

Do a search on the net for female or male Hawaiian names. You will get the names and the meaning behind each name. Then pick the name that has a special meaning to you.

How about "Vancouver Island Ukuleles" and your headstock logo could be VI, or perhaps just a fancy V

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
You have all given me something to think about. I was just thinking that using a Hawaiian name would be cool but your right it would be misleading to someone that did not know. I was only thinking about a local company that has a Hawaiian sounding name and they are here is Washington like me. Just so most of you know I live in Vancouver Washington not Canada. I am still willing to make a cigarbox uke for the person that either gives me the insight or idea that leads to a name. I suck at it and want something that is cool. My name is Kevin Lee Morgan for the ones that asked. I am from the Portland Oregon area but have lived in Washington sense 1997. I have been into working with wood all my life and I am a machinist by trade. My instruments have all been top notch. I have made cigar box everything and also made a number of fan tail type three string dulcimers. I have played with bent side bodies a little with steaming but never like a uke. I feel a calling to stick with one type of instrument and I feel strongly that it is a uke. I am on my way with my first and will post pics as soon as I can. I just know from past experience that one sells more then more and I want a new name due to changing to a complete different style. I am also wanting to stop using the indian head penny as my stash is really low. I had collected them for years and now I am down to the ones I don't want to loose. Anyway thanks for the help and I hope I find the name soon.

Funny story, I was mixing up my name to make a cool sounding word and the wife said I need to make sure it is not offensive or means something weird. She laughed and said my luck it will end up meaning like, "DEAD CHICKEN UKES" or something. LOL Had to share.

You could simply use your name "Morgan" sounds good to me. You could use your initials "KLM". A variation from your name "Kevlee" or "KL Morgan". You can use geographical features from your region "Columbia river" or " Mount Vista". If you want more of an island flare, you could use an animal like "Gecko" with the animal as a logo.

I think you could still use something with "Indian" in the name. It certainly sounds more mainland-y, which I think mainland builders should embrace more often. It also sounds cryptic and cool.

Copper Indian Ukuleles. You could use a feather as your headstock logo.

Cascadia Ukuleles---headstock logo could be the proud silhouette of Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Hood.

Columbia Ukueles---a stars & stripes logo would be cool for this, or a salmon leaping up stream

I looked up some Chinook words since they were supposedly native to Vancouver, found a few:

Kalakala - bird
Sopen Inapoo - Jumping flea
Melakwa - mosquito

Maybe it's the influence of living in Germany and its often strange words, but I would go with "Morganland" which is a play on your name and "Morgenland" which means literally "Tomorrow Land" but is, in this sense the "Orient". See:http://www.dict.cc/?s=Morgenland

Dict.cc also translates it as "Levant" which is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levant

Of course, it might be a stretch for you, and it might also be really weird to create a land based on your name, so to speak, especially one that has no uke connection.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
You have all given me something to think about. I was just thinking that using a Hawaiian name would be cool but your right it would be misleading to someone that did not know. I was only thinking about a local company that has a Hawaiian sounding name and they are here is Washington like me. Just so most of you know I live in Vancouver Washington not Canada. I am still willing to make a cigarbox uke for the person that either gives me the insight or idea that leads to a name. I suck at it and want something that is cool. My name is Kevin Lee Morgan for the ones that asked. I am from the Portland Oregon area but have lived in Washington sense 1997. I have been into working with wood all my life and I am a machinist by trade. My instruments have all been top notch. I have made cigar box everything and also made a number of fan tail type three string dulcimers. I have played with bent side bodies a little with steaming but never like a uke. I feel a calling to stick with one type of instrument and I feel strongly that it is a uke. I am on my way with my first and will post pics as soon as I can. I just know from past experience that one sells more then more and I want a new name due to changing to a complete different style. I am also wanting to stop using the indian head penny as my stash is really low. I had collected them for years and now I am down to the ones I don't want to loose. Anyway thanks for the help and I hope I find the name soon.

How about Evergreen Ukes...as Evergreen is Washington State's nickname...

"Goldfinch Ukes", Uke the Carduelis tristis (bird) as a logo.

You might know this is the Washington State bird.. ;)

Some version of this would be a cool logo..
thumbnail.aspx

The state bird with the state flower..

Top Bottom