Ukulele Player Issue 24 is online

Pippin

Reaction score
We just went live with the latest issue. Lots of good stuff and another great article by Austin Kaiser (Byron Yasui is featured this time around).

We have a great Ohana uke proto-type in review.

http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm

Thanks again Mickey! Looks like another great issue.

Thanks for this Mickey, always makes my heart jump when a new issue comes out. Now I know what I will be reading as soon as I get home!

Mahalo Mickey.....Awesome dude...wow lots of work you do to put out a fine magazine..much appriciated...

Excellent article on the state of music and sound quality. One of the things that I find interesting is that as the radio rose in popularity, it did two different things. One, it introduced folks to lots of different music and that is a good thing. The other, seemed to have a more negative impact. It made folks passive listeners of music, instead of active participants. People started laying down their instruments and listening to the radio instead of actively making music. Wouldn't it be great if you came home from work and your family and/or the neighbors had gathered out on their porches and everyone was playing music?

Love the magazine. I had just check the web site yesterday hoping for the latest edition. Very glad it's out now!

Thanks again for all your hard work.

I loved that article about sound quality and such. As a (more or less) former head-fi member, totally preaching to the choir! I still have my proper redbook setup... next to the ipod, and a few different headphones depending on need. In the portable world, the Koss portapros are still a safe bet, as are newer Senn px100-ii's, or the ones I love are the Aiaiai Tracks. Then there are these two companies in China trying to tap into how you make an audiophile earbud, and they pretty much figured it out, Yuin, and M2C.

It's like with ukes, there are gems at all the price points.

It's also amazing how behind the times the record labels really are. They put out formed act after formed act, while people use Youtube to make something real out of those songs. Instead of recruiting actual talent, they'd rather waste their time shutting down those channels and pretending they don't understand what fair use means.

By the time they figure it out, it may not even matter.

Last edited:
Excellent article on the state of music and sound quality. One of the things that I find interesting is that as the radio rose in popularity, it did two different things. One, it introduced folks to lots of different music and that is a good thing. The other, seemed to have a more negative impact. It made folks passive listeners of music, instead of active participants. People started laying down their instruments and listening to the radio instead of actively making music. Wouldn't it be great if you came home from work and your family and/or the neighbors had gathered out on their porches and everyone was playing music?

Absolutely! I would love that. Every family gathering, when I was growing up, involved music. To this day, we still play a lot of music together.

I loved that article about sound quality and such. As a (more or less) former head-fi member, totally preaching to the choir! I still have my proper redbook setup... next to the ipod, and a few different headphones depending on need. In the portable world, the Koss portapros are still a safe bet, as are newer Senn px100-ii's, or the ones I love are the Aiaiai Tracks. Then there are these two companies in China trying to tap into how you make an audiophile earbud, and they pretty much figured it out, Yuin, and M2C.

It's like with ukes, there are gems at all the price points.

It's also amazing how behind the times the record labels really are. They put out formed act after formed act, while people use Youtube to make something real out of those songs. Instead of recruiting actual talent, they'd rather waste their time shutting down those channels and pretending they don't understand what fair use means.

By the time they figure it out, it may not even matter.

All good points. The labels are hurting themselves more than they know. I am a member of ASCAP, and still, I think the whole industry has gone over the top on this one (enforcing copyright laws the way they do). The original copyright law was great, but the state of things today can be attributed to Mickey Mouse... literally.

I moved to England in 1999. One of the first things I discovered was BBC Radio 2. You CAN still hear the Beatles, followed by Dean Martin, followed by Amy Winehouse, followed by Biffy Clyro, followed by KC and the Sunshine Band. And they still do documentaries, and long interviews, and quizzes. And live guest spots.

They do a few terrible chat shows and things like that, but on the whole, it's great.

Some English person is reading this and screaming, "Radio 2?! That rubbish?!" I make no apologies :)

Thanks a lot for the magazine i really enjoy reading them.

All good points. The labels are hurting themselves more than they know. I am a member of ASCAP, and still, I think the whole industry has gone over the top on this one (enforcing copyright laws the way they do). The original copyright law was great, but the state of things today can be attributed to Mickey Mouse... literally.

And thanks for the great magazine. I lost the link back when logged out of the forums, and my google fu failed me. Its great to have it back! :D

Top Bottom