Best American Luthier?

FPK

Reaction score
As I said in one of my earlier posts, I am looking to get a secong real ukulele; but something that contrasts highly with my current instrument in its tone. I know what I want in terms of design, but I don't know who should (when it does happen) build it. My current considerations are: Mike DaSilva, William King, or Glyph (if he ever builds ukes again :( Does anyone have coments on the experience with each of these luthiers? Any others (that aren't exeedingly expensive....) that I might want to consider?

Thanks,

Will

hi Will
Duane Heilman, Tony Graziano, Joseph Heindel, Rick Turner, Bradford Donaldson just a few that come immediately to mind

Will, your question is so much complex, with so many variants... So, you have to put some more information:
1. What size you use/looking for?
2. What price range?
3. What sound you are looking for?
4. What music style you are thinking to play?
5. How many time you have your fist uke?
6. What kind of design format your are looking for?

Last edited:
FPK, there is no "best" American luthier. There are many, and I'm sure they all have their strong points.

Contact one whose work you like and see what they can do with whatever parameters you want to set. That is the joy of a custom build... you can decide on the woods, design, decoration, whatever you want out of it.

maybe worth mentioning Mya Moe too...they have a wide range of available woods and can customize the build to your specs...could possibly be a little cheaper but there is a substantial waiting list of around 6 months...just something else to consider

No one is "best". Just email one with what you want and get a price quote and information.

I'm going with a Compass Rose because Rick Turner is . . . well, he's Rick Turner!!!

So many. Along with whats been mentioned Augustino LoPrinzi and Donna LoPrinzi of LoPrinzi Guitar and Ukulele, John Kitakis and Noah Bonk of Ko'olau Guitar and Ukulele, and of course Mr Devine and Mr Moore who post here regularly. Each of these artist are wonderful in their skills.

As others have written, there are many excellent luthiers. I second the names of Rick Turner and Chuck Moore and would add Kerry Char and Bill Collings to the list. Additionally, I've never seen their personal creations up close but both Casey Kamaka and Paul Okami of Koaloha have backlogs of several years for their custom ukes. Many of these high end ukes have different looks, sound, playability and prices that it comes down to a combination of how you play, what you play, your tastes and how much you want to spend.

Last edited:
In addition to those great luthiers mentioned you might also want to consider Kevin Crossett or Mike Pereira or Peter Hurney or Pete Howlett or Ken Timms or Duane Heilman or Joel Eckhaus or Dave Talsma or Brad Donaldson or Kim Breedlove or Papa KoAloha Okami or Derek Shimizu or ........

We are blessed with such wonderful luthiers.

Chuck Moore

Best Is expensive...in the thousands, those are dream ukes...but you can't go wrong with really good luthiers too who offer good prices..
MP ukes...Mike Perriera Black Bear Ukes, Duane Hellman, Brad Donaldson.. good luck, hope you find what you want..

Bradford Donaldson. End of thread.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, I am looking to get a secong real ukulele; but something that contrasts highly with my current instrument in its tone. I know what I want in terms of design, but I don't know who should (when it does happen) build it. My current considerations are: Mike DaSilva, William King, or Glyph (if he ever builds ukes again :( Does anyone have coments on the experience with each of these luthiers? Any others (that aren't exeedingly expensive....) that I might want to consider?

Thanks,

Will

I didn't mean "best". of course there is no best American luthier.

1. What size you use/looking for?---I would say concert, but most people seem to think of a concert as a much bigger instrument than a soprano. My Tangi is (I think) quite small for a concert (though not thin--the body is pretty wide.). I'd say a small concert--like Glyph's mezzo soprano.

2. What price range?---I am not taking my parents' money at all for this possible project, so it is limited to $1500(though that is not cheap). I play violin, and am thinking that if I busk in NYC every weekend for a while, I will have enough money.

3. What sound you are looking for? ---My Tangi has a mellow, sweet and broad tone (which I love), but as you guys probably know, he was known for bad cosmetic quality. Not only is mine cosmetically challenged, but it also has an out of tune fretboard (it needs a new fingerboard). We already had a nut adjustment, along with a new bridge, but this uke still needs work. In terms of sound, I want a loud ukulele that is somewhere in the middle--a nice broad tone, but with enough clarity to be heard out. Also, I want the highs to really stand out.

4. What music style you are thinking to play?---I play classical and bluegrass violin. I also write a lot of my own stuff, which is a combo of many things. I also do a bunch of other genres (pop, Jazz, etc...). In terms of this, I don't know what to say. I know that I mostly play melodies...that's why I want a uke with a bit more of a tenor-alto range.

5. How many time you have your fist uke?---My dad got it when I 9...we got our 1st cheap uke when I was 6, but this one really got me into playing the instrument at a higher level.

6. What kind of design format your are looking for?---Something like Jake Shimabukuro's headstock, a bit of a more square lower curve (below the sound hole....the lower bout...), and of course, in a smaller size. In terms of woods, I have no clue.

(edited by fpk's father for grammar, spelling and accuracy)

Last edited:
The standard LoPrinzi concert has a somewhat smaller body than many concerts. They have a host of wood choices and do custom work. We have had them in the past make a Flamenco inspired tenor with a slotted headstock , spruce top and Spanish cypress back and sides. Worth taking a look at for sure.
Sweet and mellow? Maybe Hawaiian mango or perhaps a nice Honduran mahogany .

I didn't mean "best". of course there is no best American luthier.

1. What size you use/looking for?---I would say concert, but most people seem to think of a concert as a much bigger instrument than a soprano. My Tengi is (i think) quite small for a concert (though not thin--the body is pretty wide..). I'd say a small concert--like Glyph's mezzo soprano.

2. What price range?---I am not taking my parents money at all for this possible project, so it is limited to $1500(though that is not cheap). I play violin, and am thinking that if I busk in NYC every weekend for a while, I will have enough money.

3. What sound you are looking for?-My tengi has a mellow, sweet and broad tone (which I love), but as you guys probably know, he was known for bad cosmetic quality. Not only is mine cosmetically challenged, but it also has a out of tune fretboard (it needs a new fingerboard). We already had a nut adjustment, along with a new bridge, but this uke still needs work. In terms of sound, I want a loud ukulele that is somewhere in the middle--a nice broad tone, but with enough clarity to be heard out. Also, I want the highs to really stand out.
4. What music style you are thinking to play?---I play classical and bluegrass violin. I also write alot of my own stuff, which is a combo of many things. I also do a bunch of other genres (pop, Jazz, ext...). In terms of this, I don't know what to say. I know that I mostly play melodies...thats why I want a uke with a bit more of a tenor-alto range.
5. How many time you have your fist uke?--My dad got it when I 9...Its what got me into playing the instrument.
6. What kind of design format your are looking for?---Something like Jake Shimubukuro's headstock, a bit of a more square lower curve (below the soundhole....I don't know what to call it...), and of course, in a smaller size. In terms of woods, I have no clue.
Check the Custom Luthiers Listing and and 808 Builders Listing for more names and info.

Even if there was a "best" luthier, that would be no guarantee that the uke would be the "best". Wood is wood, and no matter how masterful the build, humidity, stress, and other factors will change it over time. What sounds good today can change over the years, for good or for evil. That is not the makers fault, and beyond his control.

$1500 for a custom uke is a bit on the lower end of the price spectrum. So even though there's a good variety of Luthier's out there that can fit something into that price range, you will probably have to shop around a bit to find one that will build one to your specs and keep you under budget. Jake's uke has a slotted headstock that will probably eat up an additional $200 or so of your budget.

I had a similar budget for my custom uke and I went with a Ko'olau through Hawaii Music Supply. Mainly because I had good experiences buying from them before and trusted their recommendations. It helps since I don't have the ability to play many higher end uke's out here.

Personally, I think the most practical method of selecting uke is to listen to it. Other than Rick Turner's compass rose, I was impressed by ukes made by Scott Wise.

Top Bottom