Kamoa's new colored ukes

Skottoman

Reaction score
So, my interest is piqued by the new Kamoa lineup.

First of all, I'll say that I have purchased from Sam at Larry's music, and visited the store a few years back when the Kamoa brand was new. But now.... things have evolved!!!

I'm finding myself wondering about a 700 series tenor in GREEN!!!

http://www.kamoastore.com/collections/700-series/products/kamoa-700-series-tenor

I think they are built in china, of tiger maple, solid wood construction, comes with pickup... But I have to wonder if $1k is worth it for this uke? I also have been eyeing up a Kanilea tenor curly koa that is $400 more with no pickup, but very nice looking... Have not played either...

So, does anyone have any opinions, experience with this new lineup? Do I have my facts straight? Would love to try one out, or hear from someone who has one.

Cheers,
Skottoman

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about Kamoa before, but that price seems high for a uke made in China.

I have always been impressed with Kamoa's sound for the price, but that tag seems a little high to me... I love the colors, but those don't even make my list of what I'm considering for my tenor upgrade really :/ I'm not blown away by the sound either. It's good, but... eh. But that's just me.

I kinda think I maybe like the aesthetics, but for the price range, I have several others in the front of the line.

Let me be clear that I'm not saying they're made in China. I read somewhere on the internet that they were. So perhaps they are made in Hawaii? I really don't know. Does it matter if they sound and play great? Maybe...

But I do think they are quite nice looking ukes, and of course Sam makes them sound so lovely. Maybe I need to go to Kauai again to play them in person.

Cheers,
Skottoman

Last edited:
Not certain I am digging the price, but the blue pineapple has me certainly all a-flutter

Yeah, those colored pineapples are pretty awesome looking. But again, how do they play/sound, and it's pretty expensive... We'll see

I kinda think I maybe like the aesthetics, but for the price range, I have several others in the front of the line.

Ditto! For $1000. I'm thinking other Hawai'ian made K brands. A KoAloha tenor can be had for $950. A Kanilea tenor K1 round around $940. and a Ko'olau tenor T1 around $1000. Then again that's MY personal preference. For others, this may not matter. Freedom of choice is a good thing.

Victor Kim from Quest Crew uses Kamoa Tenor Ukuleles, i'm not sure if it's the same model that you're looking to buy but atleast in victor kim's videos, you can hear the quality of the ukulele.

Not certain I am digging the price, but the blue pineapple has me certainly all a-flutter

With you on both points. I DO love that transparent blue finish & of course the Pineapple is a given... but... the Mya-Moe concert pineapple I've ordered isn't a huge jump from that price.

Ditto! For $1000. I'm thinking other Hawai'ian made K brands. A KoAloha tenor can be had for $950. A Kanilea tenor K1 round around $940. and a Ko'olau tenor T1 around $1000. Then again that's MY personal preference. For others, this may not matter. Freedom of choice is a good thing.

I agree 100%!! For a made in China uke...$900 is way too high. For that money I'll go with a "K" brand.

I really like the blue one, and would love to put it in my blue Kamoa case (though I'd definitely have to save up and hold off on my new iPad to get it). I'm going to be in Kauai in a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can find one in person to play and try out -- I'll report back if they have one in the Koloa or Kapa'a store that I can test drive for you.

I really like the blue one, and would love to put it in my blue Kamoa case (though I'd definitely have to save up and hold off on my new iPad to get it). I'm going to be in Kauai in a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can find one in person to play and try out -- I'll report back if they have one in the Koloa or Kapa'a store that I can test drive for you.

That would be cool. I met Sam, and understand what he's doing. I think it's pretty awesome that he's setting up a new brand for people to enjoy, and they do look awesome! I just don't know about the $ the high end ones are listed at. I wouldn't complain though if a green pineapple, or tenor appeared under my xmas tree...

Also... Jealous that you're going to kauai in a few weeks. I need to do that! Kauai rocks!

Cheers,
Skottoman

The E3 Pineapple looks tempting. Solid spruce top with solid maple back and sides and electronics for under $200.

Let me be clear that I'm not saying they're made in China. I read somewhere on the internet that they were. So perhaps they are made in Hawaii? I really don't know. Does it matter if they sound and play great? Maybe...

But I do think they are quite nice looking ukes, and of course Sam makes them sound so lovely. Maybe I need to go to Kauai again to play them in person.

Cheers,
Skottoman

After some surfing, I was able to confirm that they are Chinese made and imported from GUANGZHOU KAPOK GUITAR COMPANY LTD in China.

http://www.importgenius.com/importers/kamoa-ukulele-company

Last edited:
Evolve Electric Uke

Hi, I just returned from Kapa'a with my brand new Evolve safely in hand. Great meeting Sam and getting a chance to talk with him. It is a beautiful instrument (got the tiger stripe blue/green), and sounds incredible. I'm still playing with basic amp settings, looking forward to running it through a midi. Great craftsmanship, and very easy to play. Neck action reminds me of my Fender strat. $1k is a lot to plop down on a uke, but I have a koa uke that was $800, so ... Bottom line is if you want a quality musical instrument, it's (usually) going to cost more than decently playable one. The question is, does the overall instrument including looks, sound, and playability justify the cost? In this case, I would say yes, it does.

Top Bottom