Is this amp any good?

yushen

Reaction score
Artec RX5BK Mini Amplifier. It's selling cheap but wondering if it's any good...

Artec RX5BK Mini Amplifier. It's selling cheap but wondering if it's any good...
Hey Yushen, just IMO i really like the way ukulele sounds in many of these mini amps , i have several larger amps and still prefer the mini amps . i don't know this brand well. but my advice would be witch ever one you get make sure it also can be plugged in for power , you dont want one just to run off battery's,

The small Roland AC acoustic amps seem to get the most recommendations around here.

Personally not a fan of mini amps. Some I've used provide little more sound than a hard strummed acoustic. I do like a Pignose though!

For a decent real acoustic amp, the Marshall AS50R is hard to beat

Yeah, most of the really tiny amps don't have much to offer. Even when they sound decent they tend to have very limited EQ control and so on.

On the other hand, for Uke and Mandolin with USTs I've found you really don't want a "big" amp, either, unless you have some very good EQ either in the amp or in front of it. It seems to really be an issue of speaker size. Every amp I've used with uke or mandolin that had 12" speakers was a bear to EQ out the "thudiness" of some USTs. Amps with smaller speakers, even when there are two of them, seem to have much less of an issue in that regard.

One of the best uke amps I've found for uke is a little Danelectro "nifty fifty" guitar amp that I modified to run on gel-cel batteries. It's got a relatively small 8" speaker but decent EQ and the uke is above the midband scoop so it sounds reasonably natural. Unfortunately, they haven't made that amp for about ten years now.

Along the lines of the Roland amps, but smaller, would be the Mobile Cube. Unlike the Micro Cube, it's a catch-all amp for just about any instrument you want to plug in, since its based on being a keyboard amp. The uke does well on the acoustic setting, or the electric setting if you want that imperfect type sound. But it especially shines in keyboard mode.

And like OldePhart's theory, it's small dual speakers. It's easily the best match to a uke I've yet had, and is a bit cheaper than The Marshalls and Fenders, and AC series type higher end amps... while still not sucking.

Top Bottom