When to change out Aquila Nygut strings? / How do I know?

dakamaainahaole

Reaction score
Ive had my Lanikai NK-C for about 2 months now, and i pick it up and play around for maybe 1hr/day, mostly everyday. after numerous tunings and da "break in period", my uke mostly stays in tune now (has Aquila Nygut strings fyi). HOWEVER, i can see how tuning can eventually stretch da strings out. MY QUESTION IS: when to change out da strings, eh?

My C string is beginning to touch the nut on da tuning peg of the g string, same with the E and A strings... causing a vibrationy kine sound. This brings me to my next question: What can i do to get rid of this problem or IS new strings da answer?

MAHALOZ

Change the strings when they need chaning. Or change them when you want a different kine sound. Or change them when you get bored.

Seriously, if the strings sound dead, or if you can see some wear and tear underneath where they touch the fret, it may be time for a change.

But you can change them anytime you want. No need a reason.

Best way to tell when you need to change strings:
Feel the under-side of the strings. If you can feel tiny indentations where the frets have dented the strings, it's time to change strings.

For you other question, I'm not quite sure what you are describing. You say: "My C string is beginning to touch the nut on the tuning peg of the g string." Do you mean that your C string is touching the post of the tuner (the part that sticks up vertically out of the headstock around which the string is wrapped)? The 'nut' is the small piece of wood/bone on which the strings rest in little slots at the top of the fret board.

If you could clarify or take a picture of your problem, i think someone will be able to help you.

For you other question, I'm not quite sure what you are describing. You say: "My C string is beginning to touch the nut on the tuning peg of the g string." Do you mean that your C string is touching the post of the tuner (the part that sticks up vertically out of the headstock around which the string is wrapped)? The 'nut' is the small piece of wood/bone on which the strings rest in little slots at the top of the fret board.

i mean like a nut that goes on a bolt. but yeah on da tuning peg. the string WAS going over the actual nut that holds dakine to the headstock, and now the string is ON that nut.

i mean like a nut that goes on a bolt. but yeah on da tuning peg. the string WAS going over the actual nut that holds dakine to the headstock, and now the string is ON that nut.

Sounds like there is just too much string. You can unwind, cut the tring shorter, then re-tighten the tuner. Should have less string wound on the post.

Sounds like there is just too much string. You can unwind, cut the tring shorter, then re-tighten the tuner. Should have less string wound on the post.
I agree with PoiDog, it sounds like the strings were left a bit long when installed, just loosen them and trim a bit off. Most Ukes with Aquilas put on at the factory seem to have this problem. Usually when I install new Aquilas I put one wrap on the post and when they stretch you end up with about 3 wraps on the peg and they're about right, but sometimes I still have to loosen and trim.

Change them when tuning get hard or they sound flat... I think your strings are breaking in, is that the resonation you hear??? Hmmmm jus wondering..

Top Bottom