2 Point Tenor

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Several months back my wife found an old K-Kraft style mandolin needing lots of repair for a few $$$ so she bought it home for me as inspiration. I like the design a lot, and it got me thinking about modernising the lines and adapting the shape to the ukulele.

My most requested instrument is the tenor with 14 frets to the body, so I used that as a basis for my updates.

This is the first prototype where I was trying out several new ideas hoping to streamline some of the building process, optimise the use of material, come up with a pleasing design and one that sounds and plays well.

I wasn't sure about the way it would turn out as I was building, and at some points thought that it might just end up in the bin, but once complete I'm pretty pleased with the form. There are still things to work out with the design, and refining jigs etc. But I will continue it's development.

Body - New Guinea Rosewood
Neck - Spanish Cedar
Fret Board, Bridge - Indian Rosewood
Tuners - Grovers
Strings - Hilo low G
Finish - Satin nitro lacquer over WEST Systems Epoxy

Attachments

• DSC_4269.jpg
    DSC_4269.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_4270.jpg
    DSC_4270.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_4271.jpg
    DSC_4271.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_4276.jpg
    DSC_4276.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_4272.jpg
    DSC_4272.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
Allen, I always enjoy your posts and all the info you provide, so please don't take this the wrong way, but after seeing the pics, I felt a nod was in order to Jerry Hoffman at Boatpaddle Ukes. Specifically his M-Series. There certainly are difference in the sound hole and upper bass bout. Again, I hope you don't feel I am slighting your efforts in any way.
Mstyle_collage_web.jpg

Looks great!!! It looks similar to BP but it's the sound that's most important. It's like a Kamaka Pineapple...most pineapples look the same and there are only so many designs you can make

Nothing new under the sun as my guitar instructor used to say.. Body dimensions must be pretty different as well as the sound looks quite a bit bigger.

Looks great!!! It looks similar to BP but it's the sound that's most important. It's like a Kamaka Pineapple...most pineapples look the same and there are only so many designs you can make

I thought it was a Boat Paddle from the photo's myself, though as other have noted, there are a # of differences. I would love to own either one day.

Harmony did a similar uke design too, I've only seen one pictured in the Beloff History of Uke book.
I love this shape though and your headstock design is really striking.

Really nice work Allen!!. I checked out your website for the first time. It is really first class, very clean with great pics and easy navigation.

Thanks everyone. And yes, Jerry does some really nice work. In fact most of his designs appear to be heavily influenced by mandolin family instruments.

This is the one my wife picked up for me. Built in Australia, but no date. It's top has collapsed as some braces have let go and it's pretty much only a curiosity now. Would be more trouble to repair than just to build a new one.

DSC_4277.jpg

Top Bottom