Portuguese manufacturers

Ukelelo

Reaction score
Hi Ukers!!

I'm from Spain and I'm new in this forum. It's very exciting for me to be able to get in touch with ukulele lovers from the other side of the world!
In my first post I'd like to ask you for some help. I've just found out that there are some uke brands that have their instruments manufactured in Portugal. Lehua, for instance, claims that their instruments are made in Braga, in the north of the country. Can anybody tell me something about this ukulele factory or about any other good uke factory in Portugal?

Thanks a lot to everybody!

U.

I just traded for a solid acacia Lehua longneck soprano and have observed several things about it. Construction is decent, but not great, definately a "2nd tier" instrument. It's on the heavy side and the top is a little thicker than I think it should be. There is some odd U shaped braces inside, above and below the sound hole, different sizes, more or less facing one another. Can see no other bracing.
It has some thin black strings on it and although it has a pleasant "ring" to it, it is not very loud. I am sure this is why it's sound is inferior to larger models. IMHO, that is why Kala's sound better as they get bigger (to my ears). Also, in it's "stock" state, it does not sound half as good as my Son's solid spruce-topped, curley maple Kala longneck soprano. I hope to change that.

The action is nice and low and the intonation seems ok. Will be very careful when I do new nut and saddle to maintain, or hopefully improve the intonation.

The gold friction tuners with white buttons look decent, but I don't care for them on this uke. It has plastic nut and saddle. I knew this when I traded for it. The acacia top appears solid on very close inspection...just thick for a soprano. I plan on replacing the nut and saddle and, as soon as I determine which strings might make it sing (at least as much as it's going to), I'll change them.. I will then come up with a review on the whole upgrade. May just do Grover deluxe friction tuners with black knobs while I'm at it.

Anyone happy with the volume and sound of one of these babies, please let me know what strings you use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom