Honu vs. Big Island

mangorockfish

Reaction score
After getting my Big Island tenor from MGM, I went to the BI web site and read about the differences of the two. Seems that the differences the Honu haas to offer other than a higher price are cosmetic. They have somewhat prettier Koa, more figure. They also offer the carved Honu (sea turtle) bridge and turtle-shaped fre markers aalong with the rounded headstock. On the other hand, the Big Island offers a very nice Koa wood, three-point headstock, which I like better, fret markers in the shape of the big island. Now or the BIG difference. The web site said that the body of the Big Island model has a wider and deeper body. Thus, imo a bigger sound. Not really going anywhere with this, just making an observation. Oh, did I mention that my Big Island is a real joy to play and has a beautiful sound to it. Couldn't be happier. I have my concert and tenor mahogany Mainlands and my Koa Big Island tenor - Man, I'm livin' LARGE!!!

I have a Honu and I've got to give high praise to Big Island for their production quality. The ukes are made in Vietnam, but they are by far the best looking ukes inside and out of any I've ever seen. It has a great sound too, although I do acknowledge that it's a bit on the quiet side.

Although there are some who have stated that in their opinion Big Island ukes seem somewhat on the quiet side. Mine does not fall into that category. With Aquilas on it, it rings like a bell. I can only imagine what it will sound like when I get it dialed in with different strings. Just my $.02.

Top Bottom