ukulele weeps video, tips?

pakiboy949

Reaction score
I get asked this a lot.
Also, I get asked to cover this song as well.

I don't think I'll ever make a vid of me covering this song haha. This arrangement that Jake did was just exceptional and became the thing that exploded the ukulele on the internet. I dunno, I just don't think I can give the song justice if I ever did it.

My advice would be to listen to the original song. Listen to it enough so that you can sing along with the lyrics. What this does is that it'll help you know when to place the notes. So instead of just notes, you can plug it into the correct rhythm and make out the melody that Harrison wrote. The melody is beautiful, so if you can play the notes corresponding to the melody line, this song can really make the uke sing.

Take it slow. This is a very tough song.

Hope that helps.

-Aldrine

i still cant play the song that well, but just practice one day.

this may sound funny, but close your eyes and listen to the song carefully, then play the song with your eyes closed as much as you can so you get a better feeling for it. and just like what aldrine said, take it slow and practice

you know..

those are both really good tips actually, thanks. coming off what you said aldrine (about not being able to do the song justice because jake plays it so well), my overall goal is to mock play it, even if his ukulele is 200x's better than mine. (i know he's using a $10,000 kamaka ukulele versus my $50 costco tenor :D)

Yeah it's a hard song. I am taking it slow. I figured out how to play While my guitar gently weeps, The Beatles version in Am key, which sounds similar to Jake's, except his is in G and now I got to apply this to form the song and add all the cool dynamics and effects Jake did. I've got the introduction, the verse and the chorus completed. All i got left is the second verse, chorus, solo and ending which is still a lot of work to do. However, just take it easy. I am struggling with this song too. Follow Aldrine's advice and eventually you'll have the song figured out. Plus it really helps improve your ear and memory. You don't have to make tabs for the song unless you really need to.

i have a cover

i have a cover of the song of when i first learned it and its the full thing. its on youtube and if your bored and wanna see it or something let me know. i am also willing to put up a tutorial maybe not for the whole song but just let me know

i'd love to see a tutorial on how you pluck and strum at separate parts, that would be amazing :D
lol. That'd be a pretty intense video. I'll see what i can do for ya.

Attachments

• 2011-01-11_12-07-20_54.jpg
    2011-01-11_12-07-20_54.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011-01-11_12-01-10_694.jpg
    2011-01-11_12-01-10_694.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2011-01-11_12-03-31_140.jpg
    2011-01-11_12-03-31_140.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2011-01-11_12-03-17_288.jpg
    2011-01-11_12-03-17_288.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011-01-11_12-03-56_546.jpg
    2011-01-11_12-03-56_546.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 7
this is the song that inspired me to play.
I've been playing this song over and over with some breaks.
Its a hard song like Aldrine said, i started listening to the o0rginal and it helped heaps..
thumbs up to that aldrine sir!

Last edited:
with so much videos out there im sure you'll be able to either get help from those people or just watch their videos to see how they did it. i learned through dominator's tabs before they were pulled and sadly dont have them anymore :(

^ yeah what happened to all that.. i seen all the ones that Jake plays wern't there anymore.. Anybody know why that is??

Did u manage to copy and paste them??

I have tabs for while my guitar gently weeps :) im not sure if they r the correct 1s though

Like many others, this arrangement by Jake got me going on uke and the Dominator really helped me learn the tune. To be sure, learning Jake's version was wonderful and got me inspired to do a recording . But I also wanted to do something closer to Harrison's take, so this version in the original key of Am is more directly based on the YouTube video of Harrison playing the tune live. Jake's arrangement is so inspirational but you also might do well to figure out a way to make your own interpretation.

Last edited:
My rookieish take on the song.

Yeah first time i've ever seen the ukulele at its best in my opinion was when i stumbled upon Jake playing this song on youtube. I was amazed and I was like I gotta learn this song. so blah i tried about a month ago this is what i came up with, with help from dominator tabs and also listening to the song like 100 hundred times :eek: . Though I do feel the song is over rated, jake has way more beautiful covers and original songs that he should be gettin credit for instead of jus this one being played on Good Morning America and stuff.
VIDEO

Not that great, but gotta give me a break i've only played for a few months, haha i never really had any history with stringed instruments just trumpet and piano.

Aloha everybody,

I am new to this forum, so please bare with me.
Like so many other people, this is the song that made me really want to get good on ukulele, but sadly, two years later, and I am still a newbie:(
O well.
I was wondering, what is this dominator tabs that everone is talking about?
I probably don't have the skill yet to even attempt the harrison version, but does anyone have the tabs for either of the versions?
Mahalo, and Aloha
Acabooe:cool:

I was wondering, what is this dominator tabs that everone is talking about? I probably don't have the skill yet to even attempt the harrison version, but does anyone have the tabs for either of the versions?

acobooe, they are referring to me and my website which is dedicated to providing tabs for ukulele.

Edmund Whitehead's transcription of Weeps is really good and contains many of the elements Jake currently plays in his live shows. My tab was of his performance in Central Park, where it all started, and the arrangement has evolved over time. You can get Edmund's version here http://www.uked.eu.kz/

Top Bottom