What got you started?

How did you first get interested in the ukulele?

• Heard a uke song on the radio

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Saw a video online

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • A trip to Hawaii

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • A friend introduced me

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Saw one in a store

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Heard someone playing one live

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Tiny Tim, Jake, or other uke celebrity

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Other

Votes: 49 37.1%

• Total voters

Gadzukes!

Reaction score
What got you started playing the ukulele?

I had gotten into a rut with songwriting on guitar, so I picked up a uke. Now it's pretty much all I play these days.

I guess I was kind of inspired by George Harrison, but not really...I heard that he was nuts for the ukulele, and I loved Joe Brown's tribute to him at the Concert for George, so I figured it couldn't be that bad!

A couple of months later I see the simplicity of the ukulele as its greatest asset; I can write more complex songs and play a much wider range of sounds on uke than I can with guitar, because I worked so hard at pigeonholing myself on guitar. Uke frees me from everything I've ever worked on and I can focus on the music and what the song wants to do instead of worrying about what I'm capable of doing.

Had one as a kid, and always wanted to get another one, since it was the only thing I ever had any luck at playing. Fast forward about 30 years, I was on a business trip in Florida, and saw a Uke shop, figured it would be a cool gift to bring back to the kids, so I went in a bought 4. Next day went back and got one for myself. Got back home, found out we had a place in town that gave lessons, enrolled, and a love affair was born. Now I can't put it down. I keep that first one, that got me started, at the office, so I can strum all day, then I get home to my Paulele, and most recently my KoAloha, and I am in Heaven. And there you have it, the birth of an obsession. :music:

The seed of playing the 'ukulele for me came about 15 years ago when my wife and I lived on O'ahu, near the UH campus. Her uncle (well, not technically, but her dad's best friend from when they were kids), would either bust out a samisen or an 'ukulele to play during the daily pau-hana time. One day, after a few beers, I asked about his uke, and he showed me a couple of chords. I'd try and strum a bit, trying to accompany him when he played samisen. I sucked, but it was all about the fun. And the beer. When we left Hawai'i a couple years later, I just sort of forgot about the uke.

Fast forward to about 7 years ago when, during a return visit to Hawai'i, I saw a low-end uke, remembered how much fun it was, and got it for my dad thinking he'd like it during his retirement. He didn't, as I found out earlier this year when I saw it boxed in his garage. I asked if I could have it, and he said yes. Now armed with a uke, I figured there was no harm in at least trying it.

Happy days.

Last edited:
Yes, you forgot the whole "I learned when I was a little kid" option. I know there are a lot of people on this forum who picked the instrument up later, but some of us were introduced to the uke by our parents. Some Canadians would even have taken music classes on it in elementary school decades ago. I was probably given my first uke when I was about eight; it was a Christmas or birthday present. I was very proud of it, as I considered it the first "real" instrument I had ever owned all by myself. It's a bit scary to think that I've been playing the ukulele for nearly thirty years.

Easy...a trip to Hawaii!!!

For me it was charlieissocoollike and all his awesome uke originals.

Born and raised in Honolulu, it was a given that most kids learn it, like kids learning how to ride horses in Texas or Montana. Started in 3rd grade...........

I first picked it up in the 4th grade for my Hawaiiana class, but I wasn't as interested in it as I am now. Then in my freshman year of high school, I saw the video of Jake playing in Central Park and Aldrine jamming body surfing, and I was like "damn, I gotta learn how to play like them," and ever since then I started taking lessons and now I can't stop playing hahaha :p

I visited Hawaii around 12 times as my wife is from Hawaii and her family is still there but never had a desire to play. This being my 40th b-day, she wanted to get me something special and different so she mentioned a uke! I said sure as I couldn't think of anything besides a golf trip (hard to plan as I need 3 others to join me). Now I can't wait to go back to Hawaii so I can visit all the factories!!!

One BIG advantage Hawaii has over other states is that they have so many good priced ukes on CL!!

Nearly all of the above, for me. I had always wanted to play an instrument, but piano didn't stick, harmonica didn't stick. A bunch of friends had started playing uke, independently of one another. I had recently heard tell of the Milwaukee Uke Club, and then saw an NPR story about the uke renaissance, which led me to Jake's Gently Weeps. A couple of months later I saw a toy uke at a yard sale for 5 bucks, whcih seemed a fine investment to try it out, and taught myself some basic chords and a couple of songs, trying to keep it in tune all the while. A couple of weeks later I bought an Ohana SK-10, and a couple months later, the Kala Acacia Concert followed. Now I go to every club meeting I can, play every day, and basically spread the gospel of uke wherever I go.

One BIG advantage Hawaii has over other states is that they have so many good priced ukes on CL!!

Um, in my opinion that is just one of many, many, many BIG advantages Hawai'i has over other states.

:shaka:

I was in Hawaii for a conference and there was an ukulele vendor in the lobby. My wife went over and started inquiring about the instrument. She bought the ukulele and started playing. And, well, then I started playing. I bought a Mya-Moe about two months later at the Denver Ukulele Festival.

It's a long story. Short version, Doris Day.

I watched the local Yorkshire BBC news, they were commenting on how popular the uke had became, and a local music shop had been given free lessons that had become extremelly popular. As i have a guitar that i am not that keen on i decided to buy a ukulele. I havn't looked back and coming along just nicely.

It looks like Hawaii is a major factor in people playing the uke!

Top Bottom