$200-300 Tenor Suggestions

arturo7

Reaction score
Looking to buy a tenor in the $200-300 range. Which models/manufacturers should I consider? Any to stay away from?

Thanks!

You could consider Koa Pili Koko. Their solid acacia tenor is about $225 or so I think ...

Can't go wrong with a Fluke!

Just tried a spruce top. Nice volume but the tone was a bit sharp. Played 3 or 4 mahogs which were fine.

I think the leader right now is an Alani (?) mahogany. The only issue was the lack of position markers/inlays on the neck.

Been to 4 LMS so far. Plenty more in SoCal to visit.

Last edited:
My best advice would be to go to the high end of that, or even a little over. If you get up around the 300-350 mark you're getting into decent mid-range tenor uke territory. Anything you get up there should be decent, especially if set up by a real ukulele shop (NOT Guitar Center, etc.). At the low end of your range you're kind of playing ukulele roulette - there are some decent ukes there but variableness even within a single model can be pretty wide. I wouldn't even consider one without playing it first.

It's all Greek to me. What are the advantages/differences of one type versus another?
Generally speaking from my own experience, but none of this is set in stone.

Spruce - loud but bright
Cedar - loud but a bit darker sounding than spruce
Koa - not as loud as cedar or spruce, but is very clear and resonant. Rings like a bell.
Mahogany - sort of like koa, but not as resonant or clear.

Spruce and Cedar will generally be louder than Koa or Mahogany and have more sustain, but Koa and Mahogany will give you more of that classic uke sound.

There are a lot of other woods out there and each have their own sonic characteristics, but generally, the big difference is between having a softwood (cedar/spruce) or hardwood (koa/mahogany) top.

If you can, stick with solid tops for optimum sound quality.

The owner of the Ukulele Source store here in San Jose and who really knows his ukes is very impressed by the affordable Islander line from Kanile'a.

I second the recommendation of checking out the Islander by Kanile'a. I think best sound for your buck, I think.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Lanikai CK-T today. Price was $199. Figure I'll check out one of these Islanders first.

Anybody know of a store that has one in SoCal?

Almost pulled the trigger on a Lanikai CK-T today. Price was $199. Figure I'll check out one of these Islanders first.

Anybody know of a store that has one in SoCal?

Don't go with the Lanikai. IMO. I've played the NK-C, which has a solid koa top where I believe the CK series is all laminate koa, and I'm not even that impressed with that. I haven't played the tenor size, but at that price range you can get a solid that will sound worlds better. Don't settle until you've played quite a few. But just from personal experience, as an upgrade, I'd stay away from Lanikai, because I think in that price range there's better places to look :)

I have to second Philpot. The low-end Lanikai ukes are good for beginners (if they're set up) on a budget - but if you're going to spend $200 to $300 I think you can do better than a Lanikai.

I had a Lanikai acoustic-electric tenor and it actually sounded pretty good plugged in and came with the best drop-shipped out-of-the-box-straight-off-the-boat setup I've seen on an inexpensive ukulele. The catch? Acoustically it was like playing a wet dog.

John

Thanks for the link, mds. I was in Buffalo Bros. today, no Islands. I suspect that's just a list of Kanile's dealers. I'll make a few phone calls tomorrow.

I contacted Island Bazaar and the lady said she'd never heard of Island ukes.

Sent an email directly to Kanile'a and they said there are none in stock anywhere in SoCal. He offered to sell one from his stock. Unfortunately, I don't want to commit to an instrument until I've had a chance to play it.

I have an Islander Laminate and it is super. I paid $109 shipped from HMS setup perfectly and I gotta say, best $109 I have ever spent on a uke.(And I have spent a lot of $109's). I have had around 45-55 ukes and I am still impressed for the money. There are much better ukes for sure but that is a super deal for sure.

Top Bottom