NEW!!! Ohana SK-38 A

Is Ohana still making the regular SK-38 with the profiled end fretboard?

They are still making the regular 38 but the next arrival won't be until late December 2011. Ohana really did a fine job with the 38 series.

Looks great Mike, sorry I decided to go the KoAloha route in the end. When the 38 comes back, I'll still need a solid mahogany soprano...

The 38 looks nice, but I don't like the A model. Definitely takes away from the vintage feel.

I also think the squared fingerboard definitely takes away the vintage feel. It's still a nice uke, but it's not the SK-38 we've all been eagerly anticipating. That said, though. If the original SK-38 never existed, I'd be all over this in a heartbeat.

The SK-38 is intended to look very much like the c.1930 Martin 2M that we based it on and, like the Martin, it has 12 frets. The SK-38A has 3 extra frets. For some people those extra notes are important. There are, for instance, pieces by John King and others that are not playable without those few higher notes. Although John King's Da Silva soprano had 17 frets (I think), pretty much anything is playable on a uke with 15 frets.

And yes, Mike is absolutely right, we are going to be still making the original SK-38 and it should be available before the end of the year.

Bear in mind that, for most people (including me), 12 frets on a soprano are all that is needed.

Last edited:
It's a neat idea of Ohana to offer more options, but I'm betting folks that are still waiting for the Sk38 would wish they'd just make those first. ;)

Have any Sk38 owners browned the tuners? I've been thinking of doing it, but since it makes not one bit of difference to the sound, I keep procrastinating.

Have any Sk38 owners browned the tuners? I've been thinking of doing it, but since it makes not one bit of difference to the sound, I keep procrastinating.

I thought of having off-white or yellowed tuners when we were making the prototype. We decided against it because of the cost of having them specially made. In any case, the tuners on the real Martin that this was modelled on had white tuners which hadn't discoloured much. Also, I didn't realise at the time just how big the demand would be for this uke.

It's a neat idea of Ohana to offer more options, but I'm betting folks that are still waiting for the Sk38 would wish they'd just make those first. ;)

Yeah...I don't even notice 'em. It's all about the sound.

Incidentally, I've been keeping my SK-38 tuned unusually low for reasons of my own (i.e., laziness and a song I need to perform that sounds better in Bb than C), and the resulting sound is surprisingly sweet and resonant. Any lower and the strings would be too slack, but they're right on the edge at the moment, and they make very pretty noises indeed.

One of the things I liked the most about the SK-38 I reviewed was the short scalloped fingerboard. It was easier to strum that way than my beloved SK-35, and looked so right. I also noticed in Ken's latest Arkansas Traveler YT video the comment says he is playing a prototype SK-80? Google doesn't seem to know what that one is. What is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WMUaYLWYQ&feature=g-all

Last edited:
If you see the latest issue of Ukulele Player, we reviewed the TK-80 and I suspect that the SK-80 is essentially the same instrument in the soprano size, rather than tenor.

The uke has solid myrtle back and sides with solid Port Orford cedar top trimmed in maple. It is a lovely instrument and sounds great. The TK-80 I reviewed was a proto-type and my recommendation is "Don't change a thing!" I love it!

Last edited:
You are correct! We have a couple in stock and all the ones sold have gone to extremely happy players. Ohana scores again...GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you say the latest issue of Ukulele Player, we reviewed the TK-80 and I suspect that the SK-80 is essentially the same instrument in the soprano size, rather than tenor.

The uke has solid myrtle back and sides with solid Port Orford cedar top trimmed in maple. It is a lovely instrument and sounds great. The TK-80 I reviewed was a proto-type and my recommendation is "Don't change a thing!" I love it!

Top Bottom