PDA

View Full Version : which is better uke or guitar?

ukeoustic
09-15-2008, 07:37 PM
which is a better instrument? a uke or a guitar? can someone tell me advantages and disadvantages of both..or like the level or difficulty and the variety of songs i could play with both..

NukeDOC
09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
neither and both. thats the simple answer.

thesoobz
09-15-2008, 08:04 PM
preference bro! =) haha i like both but i probably like the ukulele more.. aah

UkeNinja
09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Definitely the guitar.
Bigger
Heavier
Manlier
More strings
More tuning pegs
Can be seen when put on your back seat just for cool
"It's the size of your stick, not the way you use it"

Other than that: don't get upset when people mistake you for a troll.

Guting
09-15-2008, 09:15 PM
which is a better instrument? a uke or a guitar? can someone tell me advantages and disadvantages of both..or like the level or difficulty and the variety of songs i could play with both..

yes .

fxmatador
09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Very interesting question to ask on a ukulele forum. :D

ricdoug
09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
They're kinda' the same. I play both, often. VERY often. I keep two ukes in the car at all times. Compact and cheap. I can play the Carter Scratch on a guitar. NukeDoc summed it up pretty well "neither and both". Ric

tad
09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Jim as Dwight: Question: What kind of bear is best?
Dwight: That's a ridiculous question.
Jim as Dwight: False. Black Bear.
Dwight: Well that's debatable, there are basically two schools of thought..
Jim as Dwight: Fact: Bears eat beets.
Dwight: Oh..
Jim as Dwight: Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica!

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-15-2008, 11:05 PM
being a member of a ukulele forum... better at uke than i am at guitar...
im gunna say the ukulele

gat iz awesome dohsz

Esy
09-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Comparte this two instrument as lite a compare blond girl with perfect ass oposite sweet black hair woman with perfect boobs...

Its demagogic.. Everyone love somhing else..

Kaneohe til the end
09-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Comparte this two instrument as lite a compare blond girl with perfect ass oposite sweet black hair woman with perfect boobs...

i honestly dont care either way:D also what?

Poi Dog
09-15-2008, 11:41 PM

Yup - I don't even care if the carpet doesn't match the drapes! :D

rayan
09-15-2008, 11:46 PM
You can learn both at the same time. Playing the Ukulele is relatively easy to learn if you already know guitar and only slightly harder to go the other way. Basically the ukulele is the bottom 4 strings of a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret.

I've always said the uke is the perfect gateway instrument, because its easy to learn and you can branch out to other instruments once you got it down.

UKISOCIETY
09-16-2008, 12:57 AM
You can learn both at the same time. Playing the Ukulele is relatively easy to learn if you already know guitar and only slightly harder to go the other way. Basically the ukulele is the bottom 4 strings of a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret.

I've always said the uke is the perfect gateway instrument, because its easy to learn and you can branch out to other instruments once you got it down.

Gateway instrument/Gateway drug. Same thing! :cool:

uke142464
09-16-2008, 01:27 AM
i like ukulele 10 times better than guitar but I still like guitar, I just dont like calises:D

ukeoustic
09-16-2008, 07:28 AM
hahaha lols ok u guys r funny..lols!:nana:

HI@heart
09-16-2008, 07:35 AM
I like both. Played guitar for a bit when I was a youth. Tried it again in my late 20's. Dropped it again. Picked up the ukulele a little over a year ago and love it for it's sound, four strings and portability. Still like guitar though. Especially some good slack key :D

My son wants to learn to play ukulele and then probably guitar. A great gateway instrument as Rayan said.

LoMa
09-16-2008, 07:43 AM
I Love the uke, but I am definitely guitar oriented, even though I play the uke much more often than I do the guitar nowadays. And generally speaking, I like ukes that have a more guitar sound, i.e, lots of sustain with rich overtones, a broad tonal palette, and great dynamics. That's why I love my Larrivee spruce top, and my LoPrinzi cedar top the most of my ukes...

Don't worry my dear ones, mama loves each and every one of you...

tripl3thr33
09-16-2008, 10:15 AM

haha office, awesome. but everything is based on preferences. try both out and you decide.

SnakeOiler
09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm gonna take a lot of heat for saying this but......

The Uke is a guitar

That being said, back when I was teaching myself guitar after playing bass for 15 years, the bottom strings were easy but I never could quite get the nack of the wierd relationship of the upper strings. Then my GF gave me a Uke and a book. After learning that, my guitar playing soared, as I finally could look at the upper 4 and not be confused.

So short answer......yes.

lovemissheather
09-17-2008, 01:07 PM

heart the office. :)

j312311
09-17-2008, 01:28 PM
it depends on what you want. The guitar is bigger, more complex, mellow sounding and it has that deeper 'cool' sound. The uke is portable, has a twangy sound to it, and much more simple imo. Like rayan said, the learning the uke first will make learning guitar much more easier.

Pete Howlett
09-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Picked up my guitar at the weekend - Hmmm - I've been away too long:music:

hoosierhiver
09-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Just try fitting a guitar on the dashboard of your pickup.

UkeNinja
09-17-2008, 04:45 PM
You, my friend, need a bigger truck. Mine fits fine.

Ukulele JJ
09-17-2008, 05:07 PM
By my calculations, the ukulele is about eight times easier to learn to strum than the guitar, since it only has four strings to deal with. Easier to tune and restring too.

It's lighter and smaller, which makes it more portable. You can just pick it up and play. No need for a strap, even when standing up. You never need a pick either. You can play the uke in your car, while stopped at a red light, without having to roll down the window so the neck can stick out (this advantage doesn't apply in the UK).

A ukulele will nearly always cost less than a guitar of comparable quality. You can get a decent, entry-level uke for under $100. You can get a very good, "next step up" uke for the price of an entry-level guitar.

When you whip out a ukulele, you're pretty much guaranteed to beat your audience's expectations, simply because they're so low to being with. :p With a guitar, you better be good if you plan on impressing anyone.

The ukulele is a good "gateway" to playing a guitar. Unfortunately, it's also a possible gateway to playing the banjo. Proceed with extreme caution.

The guitar is generally louder, which might be a plus or minus, depending on the situation.

A guitar is more versatile, with a much wider range of notes it can play (especially when compared to a high-G uke). It's also far more common in popular music, so you'll be able to "sound like the record" for a larger number of songs.

There's also much more instructional material, songbooks, DVDs, etc., for the guitar. In most places, it's easier to find a guitar teacher than a ukulele teacher. You're more likely to find a wide variety of guitars in your average music store.

If it's winter, and your heat goes out, a guitar will burn longer.

Above all else, when I pick up a uke, it makes me happy. The guitar does too, but not as much. Your mileage may vary.

JJ

Misguided Musician
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
I believe it's a draw. Like rayan said, "gateway instruemnt". I actually learned uke before guitar and it made guitar seem so easy, but I believe both are awesome. The uke and guitar are similar: they can be complex depending on the music, play different genres, and are just so versatile in different ways. I wouldn't be able to choose one over the other.

deach
09-18-2008, 12:05 AM

If It's Winter, And Your Heat Goes Out, A Guitar Will Burn Longer.

Lol !

benmealer
09-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Ever since I started playing the uke, my guitar and guitars in general for that matter look like harps to me and they just look comically big on people.

deach
09-18-2008, 01:15 AM
....the uke is the perfect gateway instrument,...

8-9 years ago, I tried to play the guitar for about 3 months. I got frustrated and decided to try the bass. That lasted for a month. After playing the uke for 5 months now, I went out and got a guitar and a bass and I'm having more success with it.

upskydowncloud
09-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Ever since I started playing the uke, my guitar and guitars in general for that matter look like harps to me and they just look comically big on people.

Yeah I agree. I'm so used to watching uke videos and playing mine that when I see anyone on TV or youtube playing a guitar (especially an acoustic) it looks as if they are midget people, it's very amusing.

I played the guitar when I was young and have been playing the uke a few months. Apart from the tone of the uke it's the fact it's so small and portable that is a real draw for me. You can take it anywhere and practice whenever you want.

As another person said it's impossible to compare such different instruments. I'd always favour a uke anyway, it reminds me of Hawaii which guitars don't and they look beautiful.

NukeDOC
09-18-2008, 06:00 AM
ive been playing guitar for about 15 years now. been playing the uke for 13 months now. while i love how guitars sound and how much more "room to groove" you have on the fretboard, if i didnt pick up the uke a year ago, and you saw me playing guitar... you would never believe how bad i sucked at it for having 15 years experience. learning the uke has opened up so much for me when it comes to my guitar skills. i basically took what i know from guitar and applied it to the uke. then things started to make sense to me. i took the new stuff i learned from the uke and applied it to the guitar.

so in the last 13 months, i went from a back yard guitar jammer who couldnt hold a tempo to save his life... to a band member/guitar teacher who still cant hold a tempo to save his life! hahaha.

ukeoustic
09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
ic so basically both instruments could compliment each other coz it helps on ur skills. cool!