Type of glue for fixing a crack ?

ghardy

Reaction score
I'm aiming to fix a small crack in the back of my uke, but I'm relatively new at this. I called my local uke shop, and they said I should cover it with "Yellow Carpenter's Glue," also stating that they could repair it themselves, using the same methods, but it would be cheaper for me to do it myself.

After some research, I found this article:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7685695_fix-crack-ukulele.html
It seems to be a good guide, but they use hide glue instead of yellow.

Is the guide good? Also, what kind of glue should I be using to repair the crack?

I wouldn't recommend the yellow carpenters glue for instrument repair. My first choice would be hide glue, but it has a bit of a learning curve to use. Next best IMO would be Titebond (red label). Those can be fairly easily removed if needed in the future while the yellow glues are pretty much forever.

Last edited:
Depending on the depth and severity of the crack you may want to wick in the glue. If you can't get the glue all the way into the crack, take some yellow wood glue and water it down a bit so it will move into the crack. Then follw it up with 3 or 4 consecutive applications of slightly thicker (less water in the mix) to the crack till you get to full strength glue (no water mixed in). Then clamp as necessary.

Ahhh, folks, "Titebond Original", aka sometimes known as Titebond #1, is the virtual definition of "yellow carpenter's glue".

LMI white glue is better. It dries harder and will have less "cold creep" which is a real issue.

Hot Hide Glue may be even better...if you know what you're doing with it. There is a learning curve.

I was watching a video basically decribing the process outlined in the guide. It seemed pretty simple, so I think I'll go with the hide glue. thanks for your help!

Depending on the depth and severity of the crack you may want to wick in the glue. If you can't get the glue all the way into the crack, take some yellow wood glue and water it down a bit so it will move into the crack. Then follw it up with 3 or 4 consecutive applications of slightly thicker (less water in the mix) to the crack till you get to full strength glue (no water mixed in). Then clamp as necessary.
Sometimes a syringe is helpful as well to get glue into cracks. You can buy them from LMI or Stewmac as well. Hide glue isn't all that hard to work with. Just heat it up in a tin can and keep it warm.

Top Bottom