What size strings for a super concert?

DeVineGuitars

Reaction score
I haven't done many super concerts (long neck 16" scale) Last few I did I used concert strings, but thought they where a bit tight and thin sounding.
Just wondering what others use?

dunno Eric, I guess with a neck to tenor scale you'd be using tenor strings to reduce that tension maybe...

I use Worth CT-LG on my KoAloha Superconcert and they sound and play great.

Yup, tenor strings for me too, with my Kanilea superconcert. But I couldn't tell you the scale length. It's not on their website and the tape measure has wandered to drawers unknown. Is it standard tenor 17" or a little smaller at 16"? I know that it just fits into an Oahu concert case, with the headstock cutting into the padding.

Great question. Do you buy the strings for the neck or for the body? My current uke is an Ohana tenor-neck concert (CK-35L). Just because I don't know any better, I buy tenor strings because I would think they are better suited for the scale length. However I've read a few things that suggest the strings should match the body size. I like the tone and playability of the tenor strings, but wonder if I'm overdriving the top.

I'd say put whatever feels and sounds good to you and don't worry about it. For example I have a set of soprano strings on one of my tenors and they sound great.....and intonation is dead on.

You are a bit between things with these instruments. We've built them for quite some time, and a lot depends on how they're built.

A longer scale needs a little more tension, but not much more. Most Concerts are built pretty light, and if you follow that road, you don't need the tension you do on a bigger Tenor soundboard.

We use our Soft Lights - they have a bit more volume than standard Lights. Mediums would work too - they're more typical of Tenor gauges, but we just feel our instruments respond better with less tension.

Last edited:
Top Bottom