PDA

View Full Version : What size strings for a super concert?

DeVineGuitars
11-17-2011, 06:37 PM
I haven't done many super concerts (long neck 16" scale) Last few I did I used concert strings, but thought they where a bit tight and thin sounding.
Just wondering what others use?

Hippie Dribble
11-17-2011, 06:39 PM
dunno Eric, I guess with a neck to tenor scale you'd be using tenor strings to reduce that tension maybe...

SailingUke
11-17-2011, 07:37 PM
I use tenors on my KoAloha super concert.

Uncle Leroy
11-17-2011, 08:03 PM
I use Worth CT-LG on my KoAloha Superconcert and they sound and play great.

sukie
11-18-2011, 04:16 AM
I use D'Addaerio T2s on my MB super-concert.

Tenor strings for sure.

Plainsong
11-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Yup, tenor strings for me too, with my Kanilea superconcert. But I couldn't tell you the scale length. It's not on their website and the tape measure has wandered to drawers unknown. Is it standard tenor 17" or a little smaller at 16"? I know that it just fits into an Oahu concert case, with the headstock cutting into the padding.

Scott S.
11-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Great question. Do you buy the strings for the neck or for the body? My current uke is an Ohana tenor-neck concert (CK-35L). Just because I don't know any better, I buy tenor strings because I would think they are better suited for the scale length. However I've read a few things that suggest the strings should match the body size. I like the tone and playability of the tenor strings, but wonder if I'm overdriving the top.

v30
11-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I'd say put whatever feels and sounds good to you and don't worry about it. For example I have a set of soprano strings on one of my tenors and they sound great.....and intonation is dead on.

haolejohn
11-18-2011, 07:38 AM
I use tenor strings on my super concert. My low g sounds a little muddy but not terrible. I want to get a set of worths for it since I currently have it strung with freemonts.

southcoastukes
11-18-2011, 12:02 PM
You are a bit between things with these instruments. We've built them for quite some time, and a lot depends on how they're built.

A longer scale needs a little more tension, but not much more. Most Concerts are built pretty light, and if you follow that road, you don't need the tension you do on a bigger Tenor soundboard.

We use our Soft Lights - they have a bit more volume than standard Lights. Mediums would work too - they're more typical of Tenor gauges, but we just feel our instruments respond better with less tension.