Anyway to tell string size w/o electron microscope?

Kimosabe

Reaction score
`Okay....I was a bad boy. I let strings get mixed up. I've got four different sizes for ukes. Yes, I can tell the thicker from the thinner. Any solutions? Watashiwa baka mono desu.

I'm no expert, but if you can tell relative string sizes, just arrange them by size:

G string: Second thinnest.
C string: Fattest.
E string: Second Fattest.
A string: Thinnest.

And when I say I'm no expert, I mean it. I strung my first ukulele yesterday. My strings were labeled, though.

Last edited:
In general the only two strings that ought to give you trouble are G and A (the 4th and 1st strings). But that's fine, because they are functionably interchangable.

Consider some diameters for tenor going A-E-C-G:

Fremont Blackline | 0.022 | 0.027 | 0.031 | 0.023
Worth Brown | 0.022 | 0.026 | 0.029 | 0.024
Aquila Nylgut | 0.026 | 0.032 | 0.038 | 0.028
Orcas Black | 0.019 | 0.027 | 0.031 | 0.022

You see that G and A strings are pretty close, so you could use them in either place. There would just be a bit more or less tension on each (respectively) if you used them in the wrong spot.

Last edited:
`Okay....I was a bad boy. I let strings get mixed up. I've got four different sizes for ukes. Yes, I can tell the thicker from the thinner. Any solutions? Watashiwa baka mono desu.

Vernier gauge is what it's called in the UK or dial calliper. Or cheaper way to increase the relative difference suspend the four strings parallel and about two inches above a clean surface about 3/8 apart and shine a reading lamp through them at an angle and look at the shadow, yarn passers trick. It won't make much difference though so why bother :)

talking about soprano strings mixed with tenors and concerts and maybe a baritone

talking about soprano strings mixed with tenors and concerts and maybe a baritone string or two. No numbers on the strings which include Aguilas, Hilos, Worths. Maybe I'll just drop 'em off somewhere and let someone else try.

You could have just opened a new endless thread:

I used a Worth BM A string with a Ko'olau gold E and a Fremont black C and an Aquila Bionylon G on my Kamaka concert. It has a nice sounding tone with great resonance.

Think of the possibilities!

talking about soprano strings mixed with tenors and concerts and maybe a baritone string or two. No numbers on the strings which include Aguilas, Hilos, Worths. Maybe I'll just drop 'em off somewhere and let someone else try.

Oh. Well. That's like totally different.

I suppose you could start by organizing by size and maker (color, etc) and then move on from there.

Soprano/Concert strings are shorter than tenors.
Baritone longer than tenors.

I would start sorting by length, then thickness.

Top Bottom