PDA

View Full Version : OT... One Year and Cancer-FREE

Pippin
11-18-2011, 08:25 AM
I just had the colonoscopy today and after one year, I am still cancer free. We will do the next procedure in another three years. The doctor is that confident and so am I.

Mickey

Trinimon
11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Good to hear! Congrats man. Doesn't get better than that.

mm stan
11-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Aloha Mickey,
That is certainly good news brother.....well I guess you need to celebrate and get a new ukulele then...do it man...MM Stan

raecarter
11-18-2011, 08:45 AM
This is amazing pippin I'm so pleased for you well done. I've had two friends be diagnosed with cancer this week so its lovely to hear someone has beaten it!

Pippin
11-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Rae, I hope your friends detected it early and have a chance at complete recovery.

In my case, they remove it all. I never needed chemo and never needed radiation treatments. I dodged a bullet and I am thrilled to tell people that early detection can make all the difference in the world.

Mickey

raecarter
11-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Rae, I hope your friends detected it early and have a chance at complete recovery.

In my case, they remove it all. I never needed chemo and never needed radiation treatments. I dodged a bullet and I am thrilled to tell people that early detection can make all the difference in the world.

Mickey

That's brilliant. Unfortunately one had a biopsy to remove some from his throat but its grown back since larger and the other has a rare brain tumour. Being in the prison service we are quite open about things due to the stuff we've seen over the years so they aren't confident. We are all rallying round them though

nix
11-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Pippin - colon cancer took my grandfather so we are pretty serious about it in my family. I drive my dad to the doctor for his colonoscopy every three years and it is an anxious time but we've been lucky so far. His brothers and sisters all get them done too and they call each other with congratulations every time their colons get a clean bill of health.

Congratulations! I hope you do something fun to celebrate.

Nix

Pippin
11-18-2011, 09:13 AM
That's brilliant. Unfortunately one had a biopsy to remove some from his throat but its grown back since larger and the other has a rare brain tumour. Being in the prison service we are quite open about things due to the stuff we've seen over the years so they aren't confident. We are all rallying round them though

I'm so sorry to hear about your friends. In something like that, I always recommend that people spend as much quality time with they as they can and try to remember all the best times.

I had a friend who died of cancer many years ago. I donated a watercolor painting to the American Cancer Society to be auctioned off during the Cancer Telethon in Mary Lou's name. She was a dear friend, a loving mother, and a devoted fly-tyer. I'll never forget her.

Pippin
11-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Pippin - colon cancer took my grandfather so we are pretty serious about it in my family. I drive my dad to the doctor for his colonoscopy every three years and it is an anxious time but we've been lucky so far. His brothers and sisters all get them done too and they call each other with congratulations every time their colons get a clean bill of health.

Congratulations! I hope you do something fun to celebrate.

Nix

I'll play some music and talk with family and friends, then retire for the evening and snuggle with my wife-- maybe watch a good movie.

Big_e
11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
That's fantastic to hear Pippin! I'm gonna have a shot of bourbon to your good health!
Ernest

PhilUSAFRet
11-18-2011, 11:40 AM
New ukes are great, but that is really something special to celebrate. Congratulations.

joeybug
11-18-2011, 11:51 AM
That's great, Pippin! Here's to another three years cancer free! :D :music:

RyanMFT
11-18-2011, 11:52 AM
What really great news Mickey! Glad you updated us! Here's to your health and happiness!

arpie
11-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Well done, Pippin. You were lucky to not need chemo & radiation! Keep attending those checkups! My husband is 18 months in the clear & will have endoscopes yearly & 'checkups' every 4 months til the 5 years is up!

Stay fit & well

Roberta

v30
11-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Wow, that's awesome. Best wishes for continued good health.

ItsMrPitchy
11-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Brilliant news im so pleased for you. This is to more good health for you.

Pippin
11-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks everyone. When I was in the hospital awaiting surgery last December, the ukulele community out-pouring of genuine concern and encouragement really helped my wife through the situation. I'll never forget that. At that time, a colonoscopy saved my life.

dkcrown
11-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Congratulations on the great news, Mickey. Going another three years before you have to drink that colonoscopy cocktail again is reason enough to celebrate.

itsme
11-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Good to hear, Mickey! I remember you posting about it and we were all pulling for you. :)

olgoat52
11-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Can't believe it has been a year. Congrats. All the best.

I just had the colonoscopy today and after one year, I am still cancer free. We will do the next procedure in another three years. The doctor is that confident and so am I.

Mickey

Nickie
11-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Pippin, this is fantastic! I think it's cause for a celebration! :D

sukie
11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
That is terrific news. I'm happy for you -- and your family.

didgeridoo2
11-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Way to go, Mickey!

pithaya9
11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Thats great news, heres :cheers: to many more for you. Myself I'm 5 days and counting.

TCK
11-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Bless up all these affected by this, and Pippin, so happy to hear the news!
I have lost many friends to the big "C", but nothing is more humbling than driving my dad to his appointments- we have grown closer than ever over this. Can't wait till a year has passed for us.

Caboose66
11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Nice to hear good news like this... Here's to forty more!!

Cheers, Dean

Pippin
11-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Congratulations on the great news, Mickey. Going another three years before you have to drink that colonoscopy cocktail again is reason enough to celebrate.

I told them that the bartender should be fired. lol

Pippin
11-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Thats great news, heres :cheers: to many more for you. Myself I'm 5 days and counting.

5 days? I hope that turns into 5 decades.

I count my blessings and they are many. Music is one of the greatest joys of my life, but having an affectionate wife who encourages my creative pursuits and is dedicated to me is my greatest blessing. I am also very proud of my son. He has served the country for six years and will be at my doorstep in a few more days and I can't wait to see him.

Pippin
11-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Bless up all these affected by this, and Pippin, so happy to hear the news!
I have lost many friends to the big "C", but nothing is more humbling than driving my dad to his appointments- we have grown closer than ever over this. Can't wait till a year has passed for us.

May you and your father enjoy many more years together.

Hippie Dribble
11-19-2011, 12:33 AM
congratulations Mickey, my that year has flown by. So pleased for you and your family mate, you are much loved here and me and Fiona send our blessings from Tassie across the miles to you.

ukulelecowboy
11-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Mickey!

Fantastic news! Jesse and I wish you all the best.

Talk to you soon,

Mike

wolfybau
11-20-2011, 01:29 AM
congrats nice to hear of a positive outcome

fitncrafty
11-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Great news... Lots to be thankful for!! :)

Pippin
11-20-2011, 06:11 AM
My wife and I celebrated with a night out... a nice dinner and return home, snuggled up and watched a good movie. I was a little sore from the removal of a polyp found in the colonoscopy, but that will soon pass. Being cancer-free, though, is worth a big celebration. I have been playing uke and doing laundry this morning.

pithaya9
11-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Sounds like just a wonderful time was had. Life is good when C free.

kamaka_4_life
11-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Congrats, that's great to hear my friend :)

ricdoug
11-20-2011, 10:51 AM
That's great news, Mickey. We're glad you're here with us. Ric

Pippin
11-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Sounds like just a wonderful time was had. Life is good when C free.

Yes, it is. We had a wonderful time. My wife is a gem with a beautiful smile and a heart as big as Texas.

garyg
11-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Congrats Mickey, keep those colonoscopy's comin <g>.

hmgberg
11-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Terrific news, Mickey! It's something to celebrate...more than once.

Pippin
11-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Terrific news, Mickey! It's something to celebrate...more than once.

Yes, it is. I am so fortunate that we caught the cancer very early and it had never had a chance to spread at all. This exam was expected to be routine based on the fact that they were able to remove everything last December and I needed no chemo and no radiation treatments. Now, it is a confirmation that all looks good so far and they'll check again in three years rather than two. So, they are very confident. I feel great about that. We'll be doing a couple more videos about early detection and sharing more about the complete story over the next couple of weeks. We are looking for a few days of sunshine to do the video recordings.

Of course, I am going to celebrate by playing more music over the holidays and enjoying time with my son. He is coming home on leave (US Army). When he leaves the army and returns to civilian life late next summer, we will really whoop it up!

joekulele
11-21-2011, 02:45 AM
Mickey,
That is truly something to be thankful for. Continued good health to you!
Joe

Jason Paul
11-21-2011, 05:09 AM
Holy cow, it's been a year already?

That's great news, and here's to many more!

Jason

UkuEroll
11-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Way to go Pippin, stay well and keep Uking.

ricksan66
11-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Congratulations! That is fantastic news. I got the one year cancer free news last Tuesday and did some celebrating over the weekend. Go back in a year.

Rick

Pippin
11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Congratulations! That is fantastic news. I got the one year cancer free news last Tuesday and did some celebrating over the weekend. Go back in a year.

Rick

Rick, that's great! I hope you have more good news a year from now.

Jnobianchi
11-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Great news, Pippin and Rick, and my good wishes to you both. :)

Tootler
11-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes, it is. I am so fortunate that we caught the cancer very early and it had never had a chance to spread at all. This exam was expected to be routine based on the fact that they were able to remove everything last December and I needed no chemo and no radiation treatments. Now, it is a confirmation that all looks good so far and they'll check again in three years rather than two. So, they are very confident. I feel great about that. We'll be doing a couple more videos about early detection and sharing more about the complete story over the next couple of weeks. We are looking for a few days of sunshine to do the video recordings.

Like you, mine was caught early and was dealt with by surgery, no chemo or radiotherapy. I was at my daughter's wedding three months later, though I was a bit sore at the end of the day.

Six years later and still clear. I was discharged from the surgeon's care a year ago.

I now have a two year old granddaughter who is an absolute delight and life is looking good, but I take nothing for granted. I do get tired more easily and seem to be more susceptible to minor gut infections.

Pippin
11-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Like you, mine was caught early and was dealt with by surgery, no chemo or radiotherapy. I was at my daughter's wedding three months later, though I was a bit sore at the end of the day.

Six years later and still clear. I was discharged from the surgeon's care a year ago.

I now have a two year old granddaughter who is an absolute delight and life is looking good, but I take nothing for granted. I do get tired more easily and seem to be more susceptible to minor gut infections.

Blessings to You and Yours... and thanks for sharing that information. Not enough is said about the successes like yours. I look forward to many years shared with my wife and family. I, too, take nothing for granted. Every day is a blessing.