PDA

View Full Version : Hello Kitty Uke

mm stan
11-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Did anybody see the Hello Kitty Uke on sale at toysrus for $17.50
I was planning to get a few for xmas...they look soooo cool:)
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11904685&prodFindSrc=search

Hippie Dribble
11-18-2011, 10:21 AM
hey Stan, they look great don't they! And a nice price to boot...looks like my present for my daughter's friend is taken care of... :)

mm stan
11-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Aloha Eugene,
Might look kinda girly, but I want one too..I hope I get them playable.. ...sorry you cant see the better pictures..I have in the Newspaper, they look awesome..the sale is a 2 day sale and they have a Hello Kitty guitar too...for $31.50

Hippie Dribble
11-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Aloha Eugene,
Might look kinda girly, but I want one too..

he he...girly stuff is just fine by me Bruddah...oops, did I neglect to mention I'd also be getting one for the Duncan household... :o

mm stan
11-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Looks like they even come with open geared tuners too..just looked at the pictures as the tuning knobs are on the side..

Trinimon
11-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Aloha Stan. You mean they don't sell these at the ABC stores? lol

You'll look good chilling busking on Kapiolani Blvd. :)

If I see 'em up here, I'll get one for my niece.

PhilUSAFRet
11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for sharing. My son was looking a uke for his 5 year old neice.....I don't think he can beat this one.

Mouthy1
11-18-2011, 11:39 AM
I like that the spelled Ukulele wrong! Really sets the tone.

Trinimon
11-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Funny enough, I figured I'd search the Canadian Toys R Us and while we don't have any Hello Kitty ukes, we got these instead:

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3522671&prodFindSrc=search&foreSeeBrowseSampling=15&foreSeeBrowseLoyalty=1&foreSeeEnabled=true

mm stan
11-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Aloha Mon,
I have the picture of the hello kitty uke and it looks way better and cheaper...I know you can order one....

salukulady
11-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Did this to a couple of Dolphins.

mm stan
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow Sally...Nice....wish I could show the picture in the newspaper ad here..

PhilUSAFRet
11-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Saw and played the one my Son got his neice yesterday. It is very cool and very playable. Could use the action lowered, and new strings, but to a 6 year old, it's plenty good. Intonation not too bad either. Certainly worth what they are asking and then some.

darrendiablo
11-25-2011, 05:40 AM
we've not got them in the uk toy r us :(
infact theyve not got any ukulele's which in itself is poor imo :(
daz

redheadedali
11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Saw and played the one my Son got his neice yesterday. It is very cool and very playable. Could use the action lowered, and new strings, but to a 6 year old, it's plenty good. Intonation not too bad either. Certainly worth what they are asking and then some.

Sadly, this was not my experience at all :(.

I wasn't expecting the uke to sound great, considering the price, but I thought it would be fun to keep at work with my Washburn (I am a school librarian, and the kids love it when I play my uke, plus they think my Hello Kitty obsession is pretty funny, so I thought something that brought those two things together would be a sure hit). The first thing I did upon taking it out of the box was swap the strings out for Aquilas, and even with that, it's almost unplayable - the intonation is really bad. My only hope is that adjusting the action - which is crazy high at the moment - might help. I was already planning on taking my Lanikai in to have the action adjusted (it sounds fine - I just want to see if lower action will help make it easier to play chords on the first fret *cough*B-flat*cough*), so I'll take this one along, too. If that doesn't work, though, I think I'm going to have to content myself with using it a decoration and calling it a day.

Phil, did the one you played have the same HK design as the one in the original link? After the fact, I noticed that the design on mine was different (and not as cute, IMHO). Maybe they're using multiple suppliers and that has something to do with the variable quality?

KamakOzzie
11-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I picked up one of these for my granddaughter for Christmas this past Sunday. It is as playable as the two cheapies I have around for the other grandkids. The intonation goes a little bit sharp, hardly noticable on he basic chords where she will be playing. The action can stand some lowering, but I think I'll wait until the first string change. The ones that came on it are o.k. for now. She's only 5.

Ali, the pattern is slightly different from the OP. The box is rectangular instead of tapered like the picture, and the fingerboard is genuine rosewood (brown paint) !! I think it is o.k. for $22.50.

Bill

ukulelecowboy
11-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Here's another option. Alot more expensive but owning a Vox ukulele would be pretty cool as well! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-rare-400-amounts-ONLY-Hello-kitty-x-VOX-VU-33HK-Ukulele-Limited-Japan-/110785757274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cb58805a#ht_4147wt_922

wolfybau
11-30-2011, 12:17 AM
I like my kitty , she is lovely <3 yes like all new cheepies, it does have to be set up and has its challenges. I lowered the action on mine, the nut was realy glued in and a bit difficult to lift, but once the action was lowered it was quite nice. It does have a slight intonation issue that lowering the actiona bit mroe might help also I may recut a saddle so it sits back father and increces the string lenth a bit thats realy all it needs. the tuners are nice geared ones , the sound is a bit quite but not bad, but then I havent swapped strings.
all in all I'd say it is very nice for a cheepy and a decent value. and as was said , kids love it and that is worth a million ;)

I just got 2 cheepies one for my daughter for christmas with a surfer on it (she loves surfing) something she can stow in her car and take to the beach wthout having to worry about , instead of taking her good ones and risk them getting damaged, and another just to transfer the geared tuners to that one because it was cheeper to buy the whole uke than cheep tuners alone. So I will see how this campare lol. also going to try to fix the intonation on her Rouge. Gee mabee there needs to be a cheepy review thread lol or is there one already?

Chris Tarman
11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
This might actually make my wife willing to learn a few chords. She's 45, but she's an unabashed Hello Kitty junkie.

Tudorp
11-30-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd play one...

;)

mm stan
11-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Still Waitng for mine in the mail...shoots...it must be coming by boat....and I paid the 24.95 shoots...missed out on the sale...when I called for 17.50 sale price, they said it was sold out
it was a two day sale...they said that they would email me when they got them in...the next day the sale was over and they they didn't honor the sale price..hmm so I paid the 24.95
they must be several makers, because some of the ones I seen...are decent playable ukes...waiting to see which one I get....here is a video to fix the problem.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjMD0bGfNKQ Good Luck and let us know if you tried and accomplished your goal..Happy Strummings..

mm stan
11-30-2011, 10:07 PM
The Kitty has arrived about an hour ago.....Woo hoo.....
Let me say this....It came in a retangular box...while first inspecting it I noticed it was painted nicely with a few finish flaws..(someone said they got a decal) mine is clearly painted kitty..
I looked inside and it had cross bracing..a good sign....Then I strummed it....it sounded really muted and the strings were breaking in..they were some fat fishing line...I took a strum and it
was not good...I quickly pulled off the strings and looked in my string box to see what I had...oh goodie, some Martin M600(would have wanted some Aquila for this particular uke) ....
I started to measure the scale...because the intonation was off...it was 6 and 12.5/16 from the nut to the 12th fret...and the same for the 12th fret to the saddle...will work on the that later..
I ripped off the factory sh*t strings, and grinded down the saddle and filed the nut deeper...and put the new M600 strings on....while I was trying to attach the strings to the tuners..I noticed it
was slipping so I tightened the screw, also the screws to headstock was loose..small phillips...didn't have that small screwdriver..used a metal nail file and it did the trick....After tuning the
strings...on perfect pitch, it had a nice bell sound..although the strings were breaking in so it still wasn't as loud as I wanted...as the strings broke in more, the volume improved to my liking..still
breaking in so it will get louder...As Phil said it sounds decent and I am having fun with it...good for a first uke for a child....if mine was a regular, they all do need some work and setup...
but it came out fine and I am happy with it....fun to work on and such a big improvement from right out of the box...oh yeah I used a drop tuning..F+30, A#+30, D+30, G +20/+30......
yes I got the action to where I want it to be..nice.. also the neck is on the thin side/ med with a rounded back...not as thin as my martin or rogue, just a hint thicker than a Kamaka...
Last thoughts...I am happy with it.....I just strummed it now and had the strings rest.. and it has the volume and a nice above average tone..I like it... although the tuners are cheap, they work
and the uke tunes easily...too now I think I made the right choice on the strings...

wolfybau
12-01-2011, 03:57 AM
hmm mabee I should try changing out the strings on mine too? I did notice how stiff these factory strings on it feel. but I love my kitty , play it all the time now :) the intonation is not bad. just needs a little tweaking for action.

that a bummer you missed the sale and awful they wouldnt honor the price! >:( thats a corporate chain store for you. but it is still a good value for $25 definately worth it for a starter for a child if the action is lowered.

I was wondering too about the variations I've seen in photos. A decal? mine is painted too. But the design is different than any photo Ive seen and it looks like the white color failed to print on it. which is ok with me if it is a misprint, that just makes it more unique ;) I didnt notice any loose screws...perhaps it is hit and miss what you get!

I had a problem with the site too, I tryed ordering one of thier $14 aloha ukes (for the geared tuners because it was cheeper to buy the whole uke than tuners seperatly!) and it wouldnt let the transaction go through, I tryed logging on the next day and he price went up to $19! luckily it was still in the cart at $14 so I got it at the lower price :cool:

PureGouldUke
12-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Me want!

I'm a guy too...:-(

mm stan
12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Me want!

I'm a guy too...:-(
I know they got them in the UK too because they sent me a service card too for there
Sakar UK
2D Siskin Parkway East
CV3 4PE, UK

mm stan
12-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Aloha Wolfybau,
Get some martin M600 from elderly...for $4.65 in is not even in the same uke afterwards...great great improvement.. yes the stock sounds dead and dull....let me know..and use my tuning..

KamakOzzie
12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Stan, I think we got the same ones. Mine has blue knobs on the tuners. I got mine from the store. There were only two, and both boxes were opened. They didn't have any more in the back, so she gave me 10% off and I picked the best one for $22.50.
I tried your lowered tuning, but with the original strings it did not sound good. Felt loose. too. I also tried D tuning, and that sounds pretty good! I am leaving it there for a few days. I also went ahead and lowered the nut a little bit.
I'll put Aquilas on after my granddaughter beats on it at Christmas.

Bill

mm stan
12-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Aloha Bill,
Yes we have the same one..I'd go with the Martins M600...they sound nice...and for the tuning try the one above I listed with the new strings, the factory ones don't do it, i just ripped them off...it is less tension and does a great job..yes lowering the action will make it more playable do the saddle too...and I like to do those things...like getting a model car kit when I was a kid...just as fun building or fixing...sense of accomplishment and big improvement.. tons of fun both ways..remember when I did it with my first uke, the rogue..Let me know how it comes out....happy strummings... If you just play first position chords, you can get away from fixing the intonation.. Stan

mm stan
12-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Worked on kitty number two..had a loose shaft and alot of play A tuner....I called them back and they wanted me to pack it and return it back...at the UPS ...seems like alot so I told them to forget it. I would buy new tuners.... I took apart the tuners and saw the tuner shaft had alot of play in the main assembly so got my pliers and crinched the opening for the shaft while it was in it.. and it worked...all the play was gone...reassembled and snug as a bug...got lucky...only took me about 10 minuetes..