Look what I got to play today :) :) :)

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Photo085.jpg

Photo084.jpg

:)

Wow wee!! That's a new one, I presume? Thoughts and impressions?

Not mine, haha...that's an original Martin 5K, which is worth about $20,000 more than I am. I got to play one that the owner of one of my shops back home owns, it's in his personal collection. He doesn't know how to play good uke, so he asked me if I would play it for a couple of hours. Me, being the nice guy I am, jumped all over that chance.

I don't know when the next time I'll be able to play one of these is, so I'm really grateful for the opportunity.

Last edited:
I should also mention he has the original case, original case candy and the uke is in perfect condition. It was awesome.

Yeah, I had some suspicion that it is an older one from the 1920's since the inlay is a bit lower on the headstock than it is on the newer models. It's a good stater instrument! No, seriously, that's one great ukulele. Please send it to me so that I can play it. I'd be happy to let you know what I think about tone, fit and finish, all of that stuff.

Yup vintage martin 5K...looks sweet...you lucky guy....ask him if he will part with it for um um um..:drool::drool::iwant:

My goodness, she's beautiful!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

That is one pretty Uke! And expensive to boot!! How did it sound? Lucky guy! :D

OMG!! $20,000!!! Glad he didn't charge you by the hour to play it!! Beautiful looking uke - any sound samples??

Roberta

Alas, no sound samples, but it sounded ok. Granted, it had very old gut strings on it that are probably about 70 years too old, but they look original and the string packaging was in the case as well. Amazingly we were able to tune it up so it would stay in tune for about an hour, and it sounded pretty spectacular even with those old strings. I can't imagine how good it would have sounded with a new set of flourocarbon strings...that would have been awesome.

More than anything it was a really cool piece of playable art. The fine detailing was perfect, someone spent a good deal of time to make sure it left the shop looking like a long term investment. Ridiculous attention to detail on this one.

Can you imagine dropping it or perhaps a belt buckle or button putting a big old scratch on it.......then what?

How did it sound? I bet as good as it looks. OMG, I can't even imagine puttimng a scratch on it. What the hell for, LOL!?

Not mine, haha...that's an original Martin 5K, which is worth about $20,000 more than I am. I got to play one that the owner of one of my shops back home owns, it's in his personal collection. He doesn't know how to play good uke, so he asked me if I would play it for a couple of hours. Me, being the nice guy I am, jumped all over that chance.

PARENTAL GUIDANCE WARNING!
...reminds me of a foreign film where an old impotent husband pays a young guy to satisfy his beautiful young wife since he cannot.

He was remarkably calm about the whole thing, but then again he has lots of expensive guitars filling that shop so the most valuable uke in the world is probably no biggie.

I was a little concerned though, so every little crack on the floor seemed enormous...I was super conscious of everything.

Man would I love to knock the finish off the face of that Uke...absolutely stunning, some Worth browns and a bunch of old 78 RPM's and that is heaven to me. Nice Uke

I don't know when the next time I'll be able to play one of these is, so I'm really grateful for the opportunity.

sad i know but i thought it was just some new chinese uke with bling on it. Boy was I wrong.lol

Top Bottom