Amanda Palmer, Is This Cool?

rook

Reaction score
I'm Thinkin It Is although I'm baffled by the context...looks like she was on a tour of a warehouse...dunno but I was riveted :cool:

ROTFL! omg that was epic haha but how does she remember all those words? or was she maling it up as she went along?

I liked the song. It looks funny holding that little uke like it was a big ole guitar.

Most of the time, I absolutely hate self-referential ukulele songs. This however is pretty great

The short answer...

Yes.

She's not making it up - the words are on her website, and you can download the mp3 too

I LOVE this! (and Amanda Palmer rocks anyway) I especially like the line "You’ll minimize some stranger’s sadness with a piece of wood and plastic".

Mousie

She rocks.

You know, this song inspires me a lot.. you know why?

Because my best friend's son died last wednesday... he OD'd at 25, and I cannot help but think that had he played the Uke, his heart would not have ached so much.

And so now I grieve for my buddy cause I feel his deep pain at the loss of his son, and I play my Uke. In fact I played it at his house during our visit for the wake, and his 10 year old daughter wants me to teach her... and so with any luck... the Uke will bring a ray of sunshine to their life.

Thank you so much for sharing this video!

ivan

You know, this song inspires me a lot.. you know why?

Because my best friend's son died last wednesday... he OD'd at 25, and I cannot help but think that had he played the Uke, his heart would not have ached so much.

And so now I grieve for my buddy cause I feel his deep pain at the loss of his son, and I play my Uke. In fact I played it at his house during our visit for the wake, and his 10 year old daughter wants me to teach her... and so with any luck... the Uke will bring a ray of sunshine to their life.

Thank you so much for sharing this video!

ivan

I'm really sorry to hear about this. :( I can empathize, as my brother killed himself many years ago. I don't know if an ukulele would've helped him back then. But I'm so glad you're able to bring some comfort to the family with your ukulele.

Mousie

Thank you Mousie, yes it's pretty tough. My sister too killed herself back in 2007... and so I too can empathise with my friend.

And yes I know that my friendship and the support from his family and friends, (as well as the love for his little girl) will help him heal in due time.

While the Uke will not solve many things, as you know making music with it, certainly can brighten any given moment.

Have a wonderful day.

Peace, Love & Ukulele!

Thank you Mousie, yes it's pretty tough. My sister too killed herself back in 2007... and so I too can empathise with my friend.

And yes I know that my friendship and the support from his family and friends, (as well as the love for his little girl) will help him heal in due time.

While the Uke will not solve many things, as you know making music with it, certainly can brighten any given moment.

Have a wonderful day.

Peace, Love & Ukulele!

Oh, I'm *really* sorry to hear that! It really does take time...Anyway, I'm very glad your friend has a good support network.

Peace.

Mousie

:confused: Am I the only one who doesn't get it here?
Sorry, I find her untalented and basically annoying.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

BUT lots of folks pay attention to her, and she is doing a lot to spread the uke love!

Mousie

Unfortunately it seems, to me at least, she puts little-to-no effort in playing the instrument. She isn't content to be "different" by playing one, she needs to be mockingly bad at it as well. I'm guessing it is very intentional.

Unfortunately it seems, to me at least, she puts little-to-no effort in playing the instrument. She isn't content to be "different" by playing one, she needs to be mockingly bad at it as well. I'm guessing it is very intentional.

Okay, Amanda Palmer is a performer you either love or hate. I totally adore her. :)

Mousie

Good stuff, who cares if she isn't doing some fancy finger picking and only using a few frets. It's this kind of simple music that makes ukulele assessable to the millions of folks who want to play music but aren't naturally gifted.
Rock on Amanda Palmer!

Top Bottom