PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Palmer, Is This Cool?

rook
11-19-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm Thinkin It Is although I'm baffled by the context...looks like she was on a tour of a warehouse...dunno but I was riveted :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8IKGA-C4WCE

brucemoffatt
11-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, I loved it, it's cool in Bruceland

bazmaz
11-19-2011, 10:46 PM
As a huge Amanda Palmer fan for many years, the answer from me is... Yes. She's as cool as you like.

Check this performance out too - http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/11/amanda-palmer-and-stephin-merritt-on.html

wolfybau
11-20-2011, 01:05 AM
ROTFL! omg that was epic haha but how does she remember all those words? or was she maling it up as she went along?

roxhum
11-20-2011, 02:57 AM
I liked the song. It looks funny holding that little uke like it was a big ole guitar.

Plainsong
11-20-2011, 04:36 AM
Yeah this is a classic uke anthem. :)

zac987
11-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Most of the time, I absolutely hate self-referential ukulele songs. This however is pretty great

allanr
11-20-2011, 04:54 AM
The short answer...

Yes.

bazmaz
11-20-2011, 04:56 AM
She's not making it up - the words are on her website, and you can download the mp3 too

CountryMouse
12-13-2011, 03:10 AM
I LOVE this! (and Amanda Palmer rocks anyway) I especially like the line "Youíll minimize some strangerís sadness with a piece of wood and plastic".

Mousie

emmaemme
12-13-2011, 04:08 AM
She rocks.

Olarte
12-13-2011, 04:30 AM
You know, this song inspires me a lot.. you know why?

Because my best friend's son died last wednesday... he OD'd at 25, and I cannot help but think that had he played the Uke, his heart would not have ached so much.

And so now I grieve for my buddy cause I feel his deep pain at the loss of his son, and I play my Uke. In fact I played it at his house during our visit for the wake, and his 10 year old daughter wants me to teach her... and so with any luck... the Uke will bring a ray of sunshine to their life.

Thank you so much for sharing this video!

ivan

CountryMouse
12-13-2011, 04:41 AM
You know, this song inspires me a lot.. you know why?

Because my best friend's son died last wednesday... he OD'd at 25, and I cannot help but think that had he played the Uke, his heart would not have ached so much.

And so now I grieve for my buddy cause I feel his deep pain at the loss of his son, and I play my Uke. In fact I played it at his house during our visit for the wake, and his 10 year old daughter wants me to teach her... and so with any luck... the Uke will bring a ray of sunshine to their life.

Thank you so much for sharing this video!

ivan

I'm really sorry to hear about this. :( I can empathize, as my brother killed himself many years ago. I don't know if an ukulele would've helped him back then. But I'm so glad you're able to bring some comfort to the family with your ukulele.

Mousie

Olarte
12-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Thank you Mousie, yes it's pretty tough. My sister too killed herself back in 2007... and so I too can empathise with my friend.

And yes I know that my friendship and the support from his family and friends, (as well as the love for his little girl) will help him heal in due time.

While the Uke will not solve many things, as you know making music with it, certainly can brighten any given moment.

Have a wonderful day.

Peace, Love & Ukulele!

CountryMouse
12-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Thank you Mousie, yes it's pretty tough. My sister too killed herself back in 2007... and so I too can empathise with my friend.

And yes I know that my friendship and the support from his family and friends, (as well as the love for his little girl) will help him heal in due time.

While the Uke will not solve many things, as you know making music with it, certainly can brighten any given moment.

Have a wonderful day.

Peace, Love & Ukulele!

Oh, I'm *really* sorry to hear that! It really does take time...Anyway, I'm very glad your friend has a good support network.

Peace.

Mousie

Paul December
12-15-2011, 05:14 AM
:confused: Am I the only one who doesn't get it here?
Sorry, I find her untalented and basically annoying.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

CountryMouse
12-15-2011, 05:19 AM

BUT lots of folks pay attention to her, and she is doing a lot to spread the uke love!

Mousie

Paul December
12-15-2011, 05:30 AM
BUT lots of folks pay attention to her, and she is doing a lot to spread the uke love!

Mousie

Unfortunately it seems, to me at least, she puts little-to-no effort in playing the instrument. She isn't content to be "different" by playing one, she needs to be mockingly bad at it as well. I'm guessing it is very intentional.

CountryMouse
12-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Unfortunately it seems, to me at least, she puts little-to-no effort in playing the instrument. She isn't content to be "different" by playing one, she needs to be mockingly bad at it as well. I'm guessing it is very intentional.

Okay, Amanda Palmer is a performer you either love or hate. I totally adore her. :)

Mousie

hoosierhiver
12-15-2011, 05:57 AM
Good stuff, who cares if she isn't doing some fancy finger picking and only using a few frets. It's this kind of simple music that makes ukulele assessable to the millions of folks who want to play music but aren't naturally gifted.
Rock on Amanda Palmer!

CountryMouse
12-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Good stuff, who cares if she isn't doing some fancy finger picking and only using a few frets. It's this kind of simple music that makes ukulele assessable to the millions of folks who want to play music but aren't naturally gifted.
Rock on Amanda Palmer!

Exactly! You said it better than I could've. :)

Mousie

Drew Bear
12-15-2011, 06:17 AM
I think you guess correctly.

you can play the ukulele too it is painfully simple
play your ukulele badly, play your ukulele loudly...
...just limit yourself to three chords
and do not practice daily
youíll minimize some strangerís sadness
with a piece of wood and plastic

That said, neither the lyrics nor performance is un-intentional. It is not easy to make a dent in the universe. My guess is she has motivated a significant number of people to find a uke and start playing; yes, badly, but such a start is better than passively sitting in front of a screen.

I'm not a fan and I don't plan on listening to her performance again, but I agree with Mike. Rock on, baby. Rock on!

Olarte
12-15-2011, 06:26 AM
And that's the point about ukes... you can start badly and get as good as your heart desires.

I am a classical guitarist and am humbled by the simplicity, and possible complexity of the uke... it's quickly becoming my 2nd love after guitar, challenging me in it's simplicity and expanding my love of music.

So play it badly, play it loudly or what not but PLAY it!

Peace, Love & Ukulele
Ivan

(the) Indigo Getdown
12-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Funny song, and I think she proved her point. I am not a huge fan of Amanda, but I enjoy some of her solo music, and she's really talented. The little uke songs she's performed definately don't show off her true musical skills like some of her studio tracks do.

Paul December
12-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Rock on Amanda Palmer!

I'll give her the benefit of doubt that she could play better if she wanted to...
...I just see someone goofing on the instrument. More laughing-at, than laughing-with.

austin1
12-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Make that two of us. I can see how people could be charmed by her, but the shouting as opposed to singing grates on my nerves. I think the lyrics are good, but that's it.

EDIT: I just watched a bunch of her other videos, and it's still not doing it for me. No worries!

costaricadave
12-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Well.......I guess she gives everyone hope that they too can be famous. I personally don't get it and really think it's pretty bad. I watched a few different videos thinking maybe I would see one I like. It's another case of "look how weird and cool I am" Whatever. She does seem to be having fun and she is putting the Uke out there for more folks. So good on her.

euchre
12-15-2011, 09:24 AM
She's cute and plays a uke.

ksiegel
12-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Wow.

I think that covers it.

ksiegel
12-15-2011, 03:00 PM

I can't do that fast strum thing she does, and while her singing isn't of the "American Idol" variety, I count that as a Plus. She was on key about 99% of the time, I could understand every word, and the song made sense to me.

It looks like she has passed the point of looking like she is putting effort into playing - I guess it is that "effortless" thing that makes it work.

-Kurt
I didn't find it mockingly bad at all.

CountryMouse
12-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I'll give her the benefit of doubt that she could play better if she wanted to...
...I just see someone goofing on the instrument. More laughing-at, than laughing-with.

Certainly NOT laughing-at! She started playing just a little, now she's doing impromptu concerts with *only* the ukulele (she usually does keyboards). She means it as a force for good! Listen to the entire lyrics to the song. :)

Mousie

rook
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
The thing that makes me like this tune is the energy of it. For sure not everyone will approve of the wailing but this tune is gold, the message alone is worth the price of admission.

CountryMouse
12-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Listen to her explanation at the beginning (that's Neil Gaiman with her, BTW). She's trying to *promote* the ukulele as the instrument for everyone, a tool for positive change!

http://youtu.be/DWygYz-as_g

Mousie

CountryMouse
12-15-2011, 05:04 PM

DH just reminded me of "laughing-at" not "laughing-with" re: ukuleles: it's that awful documentary "Rock That Uke" that DH and I watched. It managed to make all ukulele players look like the worst, craziest, fringe weirdos in the world. We were nervous about watching "The Mighty Uke", but that is totally a wonderful POSITIVE experience!

Mousie

hoosierhiver
12-16-2011, 04:41 AM
I hated "Rock that Uke" with the exception of the retro girl (Janet I think), the weirdo in the cow costume couldn't even play.

Despite numerous indigities thru the years, the ukulele remains pure as ever. You can try to make fun of the ukulele all you want, but it'll stick like water on a ducks back.

You might not like Palmers punk style during that tune, but it seemed sincere to me and consider the surroundings, it was probably a spontaneous thing at someones request.

Ambient Doughnut
12-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Well.......I guess she gives everyone hope that they too can be famous. I personally don't get it and really think it's pretty bad. I watched a few different videos thinking maybe I would see one I like. It's another case of "look how weird and cool I am" Whatever. She does seem to be having fun and she is putting the Uke out there for more folks. So good on her.

I'm with you on this. I mean all power to her and everyone who enjoys it but it does nothing for me.
I think she's an interesting person and I like some of the stuff she does with a band (check out 'Map of Tasmania'!) but I don't enjoy her uke stuff at all.

CountryMouse
12-16-2011, 07:04 AM
I hated "Rock that Uke" with the exception of the retro girl (Janet I think), the weirdo in the cow costume couldn't even play.

Despite numerous indigities thru the years, the ukulele remains pure as ever. You can try to make fun of the ukulele all you want, but it'll stick like water on a ducks back.

You might not like Palmers punk style during that tune, but it seemed sincere to me and consider the surroundings, it was probably a spontaneous thing at someones request.

DH and I felt the same way! I did a search online afterwards for Janet Klein--here is her website (http://www.janetklein.com/web/main.htm). She is very cool. :-)

But I sold my DVD of "Rock That Uke", even though I had asked for it for a Christmas present. I had no idea it was going to be so awful!

I'm just so happy that "The Mighty Uke" is such a good documentary, with lots of history and music and wonderful positive things. There are tons of extra little things on the DVD too!

Mousie

marymac
12-16-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm with you on this. I mean all power to her and everyone who enjoys it but it does nothing for me.
I think she's an interesting person and I like some of the stuff she does with a band (check out 'Map of Tasmania'!) but I don't enjoy her uke stuff at all.

Map of Tasmania was awesome enough for me to buy her new album when it came out. (Do they still call them albums these post-vinyl days, when it's only released on the internet on MP3?) Anyway - I think some of her songs suck and some are fantastic, but I love her for her energy and style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcoreV10hI8

guitarsnrotts
12-17-2011, 06:12 AM

That's Janet Klein. Another performer that is out to promote the ukulele as a fun instrument. Some of the comments that diss Amanda I think are just taking this ukulele thing too seriously. Music needs to be fun and promoted as such. It can also serve as a catharsis for some but still should be fun.
I was one of many acoustic guitarists that in the 70's worshipped at the feet of the likes of Fahey, Kottke and Lang and took far too serious and academic approach. I have been approaching the ukulele much more as a fun outlet eventhough I've been concentrating on chord soloing and some of the Lyle Ritz stuff.

marymac
12-17-2011, 06:51 AM
My nephew was burnt out on music after spending many years seriously studying the piano. After he quit piano he didn't make any music for a couple years. I gave him a Mainland mango concert for Christmas last year and it really rekindled his sense of fun. His mom tells me he plays music all the time now - uke, piano, keyboards etc - even jamming with friends. He can listen to something on youtube then go figure out how they played it using his uke and piano. His mom was just telling me yesterday that she is so grateful that the uke brought music back to him.

To me this is the greatest gift of the ukulele - it's so small and amusing and unassuming that it encourages everyone to move toward making music in their lives.