Soprano Fretboards for sale? Where to buy...

Mission Guitars

Reaction score
I was thinking of tackling another Grizzly uke, but the thought of using their plywood fretboard again makes my stomach quiver... ;)

I know I can buy a rosewood one (with neck) from Mainland Ukes, but is there anyone that supplies them (fretted) for under $20 tops? Trying to keep the cost down if possible, thanks for any info anyone can share!

This would be a perfect opportunity to learn how to do this task. You CAN do it by hand without a jig or fixture. It just takes learning how to control a hand fret-saw. Just lay out the lines...correctly...and saw. Frankly, it's not all that difficult if you just get out of your head and put your hands to work. If you're going to build instruments, you should have the level of skill required to do this even if you later choose a more fixture-guided method, either working by hand or using a table saw. Too many aspiring luthiers want to blow right past learning how to use hand tools and go right into medium-tech manufacturing.

I was going to say what Rick just said..Only less politely:eek:..Are you going to build a uke ? or just assemble one from ready made parts? :)

Last edited:
Buy a fretting saw from Stewmac. Then make yourself a simple jig that keeps your saw square and plumb to your cutting surface. Fashion yourself a little line on the side of your saw for the depth of cut. If you are going to make more than one ukulele make yourself a template for the layout of your frets. Just take your time.

A ready made fretted fingerboard for $20? I don't think so. I will probably cost you that for the materials just to do it yourself, not to mention the tools to do it.

Thanks guys, I should have thought of LMI! Just trying make the Grizzly kit a little more "palatable" than the last one I assembled (although it actually did come out ok). If I were looking to make a bunch of them, sure, I'd probably get the fretslotting blade from StewMac for my radial arm saw and knock 'em out like no tomorrow, but with wife, kids, job, etc., I just don't have the time right now, I'm more of a "paint & assemble"-guy now unfortunately... :(

Top Bottom