"Gypsy Davy"

H

Hippie Dribble

traditional. Child Ballad #200.

one of the oldest folk songs, dating back to the 1690's and first printed in 1740

It has been recorded in variant versions and verses by many, including Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger...in fact pretty much every folk singer!

This version here is a little different in terms of melody and lyrics,...it's longer, describing more details within the story, and there is an added refrain.

:stop:Gypsies were mistrusted migrants, and this version tells how Gypsy Davy lured a wife away from her husband and baby:love:, but later she rues her decision.:uhoh:

First known recording dates to 1929, by Mr and Mrs I. Greer, on vocal and dulcimer. More recently, Aaron Keim has a wonderfully dark rendition on his 2011 record, 'The Quiet American vol. 2'

fun to play and only 3 simple chords...aaaah I love folk music!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaOcSYSD4sI

thanks for taking a look!

I love folk music too. Love the stories and often they are simply enough for me to play. Thank you as always for sharing your wonderful music with us.

Great rendition!

Three simple chords? Look what you do to three simple chords. Awesome stuff, Jon.

Eugene for President

Aloha Eugene,
Wow that was another awesome hit...loved it and that Sycamore concert sounds awesome....love the big coffee cup mate....Happy Strummings, MM Stan:)

Nice one.

In the UK the version usually heard is called the "Raggle Taggle Gypsies" but the story is the same.

This version by Eliza Carthy, Norma Waterson & Martin Carthy is as good as you'll get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmtEy_2rv3Y

thanks everyone!

funny story...a couple of years ago in the dementia unit of the nursing home where I work, we had a lady come in who had lived most of her life in Romania. Normally I have a great rapport with residents generally, but this lady took an instant dislike to me and called me a 'gypsy' with spite in her tone and acid on her tongue. Found out later from a relative this woman had grown up amongst gypsies and had bad experiences with them in her community. Her daughter said it was the fact I wore beanies and sang and played the ukulele he he gotta watch out for them gypsies!

My wife visited Romania a couple of times with groups of students some years back. She said they were really down on the gypsies there.

Top Bottom