Sharing the Stage with Brittni Piava Playing Gently Weeps

Dominator

Reaction score
Last night, not only did I get the opportunity to open for Brittni and play a couple of tunes before her set, she also invited me to share the stage with her. I had not seen her perform since last November at the UGH Exhibition. It was great to see her again. She is such a precise player and such a sweet person. So smooth and effortless she makes it seem.

It was also cool to see her in such a small setting. This was a house concert that a person put on for his close friends etc. so there were approximately 25 people present. It was a small but very appreciative and enthusiastic crowd. The home owner had a nice little stage and sound system in the lower level that provided just the necessary amount of professionalism needed.

At the end of her second set she invited me to join her for a song. I asked what we might play and she suggested Canon in D. I immediately freaked out and explained of the nearly 60 songs I’ve transcribed for the site that I don’t necessarily have them all committed to memory. I know them at the time I complete them and if I don’t continue playing them they get lost in space. Although the basic chord progression for Canon in D is easy it was all the melody and harmony lines that I was not comfortable with. She immediately said “how about Gently Weeps”? I said you mean the version I know and she said yes. So we played a version of Weeps that I know in my heart was really pretty special. I don’t think anyone recorded it. Brittni’s mom said afterwards that she didn’t record it because it was Jake’s arrangement and she didn’t want to get involved with any of that.

It was so cool though. As I started the song Brittni played things in the lower position and later in the song some parts an octave lower. It sounded so good and the tempo we chose was a little slower than when I typically play it (not a lot. Just a tad) which gave it a better vibe for a duet. The fact that she was using low G made the two ukes just blend nicely. Even the crazy parts near the end sounded great the way she played lower while I was up high. It was a great life experience that I won’t soon forget. There was a guy taking photos with a good camera that is supposed to be sending some pictures in the near future. This is one I wish I had on video for the archives. As you can tell, I’m still quite excited about it.

Sounds like a great time Dom. Too bad about the lack of video on that duet. I would have loved to watch it. It must be so interesting to hear!

I wish I could hear it! That must've been crazy! :music:

What's next?! "I'm Yours?" :p

Oh man i r way to lucky! thats really awesome u got to play with her!! i wish i could hear the performance would have been unforgettable for sure! Congrats thou sounds like it was a good night!

man do i look up 2 u and her as models for playn the uke! :worship:

Hey Dom, that moment will always be priceless and I wish it could have been shared via video. I guess we'll have to settle for pics. And as deach suggested, please post your tour schedule.

Dom - can you post your tour dates? I'd love to hear/see you play in person.

Tour dates. That sounds so official. I wish I had a tour schedule. I do have a couple gigs coming up in October that I will post in the gigs section.

Tour dates. That sounds so official. I wish I had a tour schedule. I do have a couple gigs coming up in October that I will post in the gigs section.

Cool! Will you be singing at any of these?

If y'all want a Dom sonic fix, until the uke video's available:

http://www.rockslide.org/sounds.html

Dom "Back in the day":

lespaul.jpg

Hey, I wore that shirt last night. Time to go to Hawaii and get some new Aloha shirts :D.

Thanks for fixing that link Guting. It wasn't working for me either.

And yes, other than playing a few tunes before a couple gigs with my rock band (to a guitar crowd) this was my first time on stage at an ukulele event. Very nerve wracking.

Top Bottom