String qualaty

mal-c

Reaction score
At the moment I am the highest bidder for an osca schmidt OU4 tenor uke, the strings are stated as GHS Strings. Are they any good Mal (UK)

It is all a matter of opinion, but... most folks switch out the GHS strings to another brand. Aquila's are very popular. I myself like Worth clears.

Buy a set of Aquilas, Nylgut, Worth Browns and Worth Clears. Whenever the current set of strings starts sounding dead to you, (couple of months), change over to one of the others and try them out.

I used my GHS strings to tie my garbagebags, once I changed them with Aquila's I saw no other use for them.

I've switched out for the Worth Clears with a low g on my Oscar Schmidt concert. Very much better.

HAve to agree with thosw above. I bought a cheap Mahalo soprano to put in my suitcase when I went abroad and it came fitted with GHS strings. They were OK on a cheapy instrument, but swapping them out for Aquilas made a difference that was quite striking.

I don't know about other strings on an Oscar laminate, but Aquilas made my OU5 sound a much better uke and many others have found they did the same for their Oscars. I was ready to put mine away until I tried them.

Aquila or Worth Browns all the way.String Beads on the
old set and wear them for luck!

Top Bottom