PDA

View Full Version : Kala Tenor Ukuele

UkuleleUK
11-20-2011, 04:17 PM
I need a bit of help. I've been looking around at all the different Kala tenor Ukuleles but I'm having trouble choosing.

The max I'm willing to spend is about 200. Can anyone recommend one to me? The flame maple one looks nice, but I'm not sure.

allanr
11-20-2011, 05:07 PM
The Kala solid mahogany soprano, concert, or tenor, depending on your preferred size. Simple, well made, and nice sounding.

Bao
11-20-2011, 06:49 PM
The solid mahoganys will be great but in australia it's about 350 dollars. I didn't have that money so I just bought the laminate mahogany one and i was still happy with it

sweetiecino
11-20-2011, 09:32 PM
The solid mahoganys will be great but in australia it's about 350 dollars. I didn't have that money so I just bought the laminate mahogany one and i was still happy with it

Hi, you could try buying it from one of the online stores! Im based in Australia and bought something from this website (http://www.theukulelesite.com/category/shopybybrand/kala) and received it within 10 days! Service was good and they made sure the ukulele was set up properly!

Bao
11-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Ahah how coincidental, i actually upgraded my ukulele to a lanikai solid monkey pod which i bought from that site. Definitely great service and set up for my ukulele.

But back on topic, just go to a music store (if there are some around) and just try out the different types of kala tenors. If you don't have a music store near by, the site offered by sweetiecino gives a great set up and everything for a good price so you won't have to worry about getting a bad ukulele.

Ambient Doughnut
11-21-2011, 02:28 AM
IME all the kala ukuleles play great. I found a secondhand solid acacia for 220 which was bit of a result - If you can stretch to a solid wood one then great but I don't think you'll go far wrong with any of them. I have a flamed maple soprano and it's a great instrument.

dbf909
11-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Another vote for the Kala Sold Mahogany...

UkuleleUK
11-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Thank you all for your recommendations. I will go with the solid mahogany tenor.

The main music store around here doesn't have a great selection of ukuleles on offer sadly. I will be buying online.

PhilUSAFRet
11-21-2011, 03:00 PM
See if they have the solid lacewood with solid spruce top. they sound absolutely "amazing"

TCK
11-21-2011, 04:00 PM
+1 on the lacewood/spruce- love mine

Nickie
11-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I just ordered a new Concert Kala, solid mahogany. I can't wait to get it!

Bao
11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Congratulations, I know that you won't go wrong with kala. Did the place you buy it from offer a setup?

Lori
11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
I have the Kala Mango Tenor, and that one is really nice. Mellow, and works great in low g tuning. I have the long neck soprano spalted maple, and it is one of my favorites. On both the spalted maple and the spalted mango, you should see a photo of the actual uke you are buying, because there is a great variety in the wood grain.

–Lori

kaizersoza
11-22-2011, 09:01 AM
i have 2 kala's, a flamed maple concert and also a solid mahogany soprano and they are both excellent and for a reasonable price IMHO yoi cannot go wrong

ukuleleforbeginners
11-26-2011, 06:03 PM
The Islander seems to get a lot of great feedback on this site. That is just a little over a $100.