Wood Ukulele Tuner Buttons?

guitarsnrotts

Reaction score
Anyone know of a source for wood ukulele tuner buttons? Recently bought a KPK concert and am thinking about switching out the metal buttons for wood, preferably a koa or acacia type wood. Might also consider a darker rosewood or ebony.

I am thinking of commisioning someone to carve replacement old wooden tuning pegs. Seems like there are alot of wood working retirees around. Maybe that'd be a solution for you.

I am thinking of commisioning someone to carve replacement old wooden tuning pegs. Seems like there are alot of wood working retirees around. Maybe that'd be a solution for you.

You can use violin tuners, they are often quite nice and come in a ton of varieties. That is what my luthier and I used on two vintage ukuleles which needed replacement wood pegs. They are actually much nicer looking than the pretty crude original pegs most uke makers used and they are pretty cheap, much cheaper than having them carved.

Hey , no offense intended but whenever I read your name I see Guitarsnots . Maybe it's just me.

Sometimes Taisamlu on ebay has knobs in his store.

Just orderinbg any wood knob is not that easy they come in tons of sizes and the shaft hole must match some are rounded, sone have two sides flat sone have one side flat also the exact length should be the same as the old one otherwise your screw could bottom out from being too long or not tighen from being that short. Simply put it is better to get the tuner button set than just swap out wood tuner knobs. I have bought fancy inlayed tuner buttons for guitar from these asian companies and have yet found a guitar tuner that it retrofits without serious modification. probably the same case with the knobs for ukulele?

You are right Mike.....and, it is good to see you here! If you are looking at violin tuners, there are different sizes, and it is best to have them fit by a luthier, and usually guitar luthiers don't have the tools for fitting wood pegs, but if you know a luthier who does have the tapering cutters then they can do it pretty easily. I really like the look of a nice wood peg tuner.

Tuner buttons are not all interchangeable so be sure that if you do get new ones that they are compatible. It may be easier and cheaper to just purchase a new set of tuners with the style knobs you like.

You can use violin tuners, they are often quite nice and come in a ton of varieties. That is what my luthier and I used on two vintage ukuleles which needed replacement wood pegs. They are actually much nicer looking than the pretty crude original pegs most uke makers used and they are pretty cheap, much cheaper than having them carved.
Hey thanks!

Top Bottom