PDA

View Full Version : Herco Humidifier - Soak with / without case?

JT of PA
11-20-2011, 07:07 PM

ksiegel
11-21-2011, 03:25 AM
I fill the cylinder from the top, and leave it soaking for about 20 minutes. Pour off the excess, close, wipe dry, and drop it in the accessory bin in the case.

I've also made some of my own by drilling tiny holes in plastic medication bottles, and using the expanding polymer gel from the garden center. These seem to last much longer, and the transparent sides on the pill bottles make it easy to see when water needs to be added.

-Kurt

Pukulele Pete
11-21-2011, 03:29 AM
I can't say for sure , but I would think the clay would swell up with the water and be too big to fit back in the cylinder .

Reno Dave
11-21-2011, 04:16 AM
JT...
Living in Nevada, I am constantly dealing with low humidity issues. I have Herco Humidifiers and they work ok. I use them as secondary humidifiers. When "re-charging" them just place the whole unit underwater, for about 15 minutes I don't remove the clay from it's plastic cylinder then, just wipe off the outsides. I too, have homemade gizmos like the pill bottles stuffed with sponge material that are drilled with numerous holes. There are many other commercial humidifiers that work well too. On UU there are many threads regarding this subject.
I recently placed a hygrometer in a hard case. After searching the internet, calling local cigar stores looking for a small in-expensive gage I found the perfect size Hydrometer at PetSmart pet store for $7.00 of all places. These humidity gages at PetSmart are used by folks who have lizards, snakes etc. that need to monitor humidity levels. I can now monitor all my ukes humidity levels in the hard cases. If I leave home for any amount of time, I bring my ukes to a fellow uke players house to babysit and feed and care with water as required. Best Wishes.......
Reno Dave

Kanaka916
11-21-2011, 04:18 AM
I just fill a small plastic container with water, open the cover and let it sit. Pull it out, get ride of the excess water, dry the exterior and stick it in the case. Good for about a week or so.

Lori
11-21-2011, 05:41 AM
I just pour water into the open top of the canister, and let it sit 15 minutes while I refill the other humidifiers (1 per uke x many ukes). The clay cylinder has shrunk a bit, so the water has an easy time soaking into the sides as well as the top. It doesn't seem to accept as much water as my Oasis humidifiers, and I am always having to pour off a lot of excess water. I always use distilled water, by the way, to prevent mineral deposits on your uke and case.

–Lori