PDA

View Full Version : More ukes showed up (Ko'olau Kanile'a)

wearymicrobe
09-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Two more boxes showed up at my door today, well it was a trade for a guitar that I had that I simply could not play (way to high a sound)

First Ko'olau CE-1

Bitchen little uke, my new sofa player, small compact. It was made with a sister CE-3 for the NAMM show a while back. Great sound plugged in, loud enough to play unamped in a really small room. I am going to stuff the open inside cavities if I can get to them with fluff to keep the noise down and since its darn near indestructible when I travel it will come along with me.

I also got one of the slim ko'olau cases that only I think like two were made and they used to ship them in standard tenor cases.

Plugged this into my electric stack and holy living tar this could be fun.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1117199/100_2095.jpg

Kanile'a K1 S.Tenor.

Same thing I always say, joe builds a heck of a uke. Its totally my sound, bought this in the lowest gloss trim I could find it am one of the K2 Tenors I have will be going out for pickup installation within the week if I can squeeze out of work and get them in.

Now I have two ukes both tenor necks both not irreplaceable with pickups and one low one high G. SO I am set for playing out in plublic without have to pull out some of the more expensive ukes that could get damaged.

And I did not have to drill holes in anything that I own that I really really like.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1117199/100_2096.jpg

I will bring these out to the San Diego get together and let people play them see what they think.

NukeDOC
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
i hate you. i hate that you can call a kanile'a and ko'olau "sofa player" and "not have to pull out some of the more expensive ukes". and i hate that i cant be the one saying those things! hahaha

dude if i had the ukes to trade you, i woulda taken that taylor right off your hands. was it the taylor that you traded?

wearymicrobe
09-16-2008, 03:16 PM
i hate you. i hate that you can call a kanile'a and ko'olau "sofa player" and "not have to pull out some of the more expensive ukes". and i hate that i cant be the one saying those things! hahaha

dude if i had the ukes to trade you, i woulda taken that taylor right off your hands. was it the taylor that you traded?

Taylor gone, going to do a breedlove next something a little more laid back. I might commission a parlor, like 1890's small steel string style, though so I can travel with it form a local builder. You will get there, just invest wisely and work hard. Remember I have a two income household and no kids unlike you, well I have the cats but thats it.

What till you see what show up on the doorstep next months its going to be amazing. Had Joe do some really cool work, I already have the next one planned in my head but I need to get another build slot lined up.

Pictures are not showing up I will fix that. Also next time we do a meet up lets talk about "bamboo". I have no time to sit in the chair for at least three months.

Also I am down to four ukes right now everything else has been loaned out, and my 8 stringer was killed. I need to have a ko'olau specd out soon because I will be looking at 2011 if I keep putting this off.

drubin
09-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Congratulations on the new arrivals, Weary! Gorgeous. :D

jsigone
09-16-2008, 05:23 PM
looks great:rock:

Dane
09-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Do a recording of the ko'olau please :) I'd really like to know how they perform.

Guting
09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
oh wow

NukeDOC
09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
when you are done with the CE, i get first dibs when you decide to sell it.

rayan
09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Those Kanileas are beautiful but I've always wondered. Why Pegs?

wearymicrobe
09-16-2008, 06:14 PM
when you are done with the CE, i get first dibs when you decide to sell it.

I will hold you to that, you know me try the lower end then order what I want.
A CE-3 in Koa with some secret tone mods that I try out on this one will be in the works later.

As for the pegs, its a personal choice, they hold tune better, they have more gradual scale. I can get them in some pretty low ratio's when I need real control. Plus they are lighter if not sealed, which is a big deal for me on uke headstocks, I actually sold my Ogata because of the heavy headstock which made playing standing up without a strap problematic.

Now I did order the 8 string with them for a more traditional look but they are perfection pegs the ones with internal gears.

ke leo
09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I will hold you to that, you know me try the lower end then order what I want.
A CE-3 in Koa with some secret tone mods that I try out on this one will be in the works later.

As for the pegs, its a personal choice, they hold tune better, they have more gradual scale. I can get them in some pretty low ratio's when I need real control. Plus they are lighter if not geared, which is a big deal for me on uke headstocks, I actually sold my Ogata because of the heavy headstock which made playing standing up without a strap problematic.

Now I did order the 8 string with them for a more traditional look but they are perfection pegs the ones with internal gears.

I'll take dibs on the ko'olau! I don't have one yet.

experimentjon
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Haha, nothing too expensive huh? When I think nothing too expensive that I don't have to worry about, I'm thinking about my $100 Leolani Tenor that I got from Sams Club (one hell of a deal, and it makes decent sound.) My Kanilea gets babied. I play it, and I'm a sofa player too, but I keep that one very well protected. :)

Its good to have money and ~10 kanileas

Kekani
09-16-2008, 09:56 PM
. . . but I've always wondered. Why Pegs?

Good break angle over the saddle. If the action is too high, you can lower the saddle, ramp the peg holes and maintain the break angle. Probably not THE reason, but a reason just the same.

-Aaron

wearymicrobe
09-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Good break angle over the saddle. If the action is too high, you can lower the saddle, ramp the peg holes and maintain the break angle. Probably not THE reason, but a reason just the same.

-Aaron

Yes but you cannot lower it to much because you will have to cut into the channels to keep the buzzing to a minimum. Personally I find it easier to change strings. As well.