PDA

View Full Version : string diameter?

mcorso
11-21-2011, 05:03 AM
I recently bought a Mitchell mu70 uke, and went to string it backwards (lefty) and was distracted by my kids, I strung it in order (at least I think i did) and it seems odd. Odd by the strings don't go from thickest to thinnest like a guitar. the G is thinner then the C, the E is same as the G and the A being the smallest. is that correct? the string length and curls "lined" up when i reversed them to play lefty. just looks odd. any help would be appreciated. Also my uke came with Aquilla strings, how long till the stretch and stay in tune?

Kanaka916
11-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Usually the 1st (A) & 4th (G) courses are closer in diameter followed by the 3rd (E) and lastly the C.

mcorso
11-21-2011, 05:23 AM
ok, so in order of thinnest to thickest is A,G,E,C ?right? thanks

ukuhippo
11-21-2011, 05:55 AM
right.
And it took mine two weeks to settle.

Ambient Doughnut
11-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Correct - this is what is know as 're-entrant tuning' ie the G is an octave higher than you might usually expect on a stringed instrument.

This might be helpful:

http://ukulelehunt.com/new-to-uke/

Tootler
11-21-2011, 12:56 PM
right.
And it took mine two weeks to settle.

That's about what I found, even with giving them a good pull when first tuning them. For some reason the E string took noticeably longer than the others to settle.

mcorso
11-22-2011, 05:57 AM
ok, thanks. im at the point now that i can practice for a about a half hour now before having to tune it again. better then earlier this week with tuning every 10 minutes. thanks again