PDA

View Full Version : I split an alder log...

Sven
11-21-2011, 05:29 AM
... all by myself. I was pleasantly surprised when I found curl! Rick's advice about bringing it down to working thickness fast made me want to rush things more than I had initially planned. Now i just need to borrow a bigger bandsaw and slice it up.

For bigger pics, visit blog. I seem to be a bit confused when it comes to attaching.

Sven

tonewood
11-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Wow. That is some really nice looking wood. That log is going to yeild some beautiful sets.

Nixon
11-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Might have to commission a uke from you out of that, it's rather swanky.

Allen
11-21-2011, 09:16 AM
I've got a big bandsaw Sven. How about Christmas in the tropics. We can saw up wood and drink some beers.:)

Pete Howlett
11-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Take it to your local mill and get them to saw it for you. 1/2" boards stickered for a year under cover outside then 3 years in the workshop before you split them for sets. I have found a board size of 40" x 6" to be the best for resawing and yield. Is it just my eyesight or does that log have flame/ripple in it?

Sven
11-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks Pete for the input on how to do it. Trouble is there is no local mill here, but I have some leads on big saws that I might be able to hire for a couple of hours.

And it's not just your eyesight, it's rippled in the entire length! It's wavy in the split surface, "frequency" is about 7 mm, "amplitude" slightly less. Very regular.

Pete Howlett
11-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I want some!

Pete Howlett
11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
If there is no mill you can split it into wedges like a violin, stack and resaw when they are dry. Hiring anything but a proper resaw or band mill for a project like this, especially since the alder is wet would be costly. Alaskan chain mill would be too wasteful. So here is my suggestion:
Cut the half logs into back/front length of 13" and side blillets into 19" or 20". Using steel splitting wedges (get them from Dictum in Germany) split the half logs into 'violin wedges" - therer will be instructions for this on the violin forum wherever that is... Stack and store outside under cover for 12 months then, as before, bring them inside for conditioning. This will be less stressful than handling this large log in unfamiliar surroundings on unfamiliar equipment.
If I had the time and cash I'd pop over and help you with this. Looks like you have a lulu of a stack of parts there. I am very envious :drool:

Rick Turner
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Wax the ends NOW! I melt paraffin canning wax in a dedicated "CrockPot" and just use a stiff paint brush.

Rick Turner
11-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Do NOT melt wax over an open flame...like I used to do as a kid making candles. No, no accidents, but I was lucky.

If you re-split into quarters, you'll then be able to figure out how to best cut it, and yeah, wow! that flame figure is beautiful.

You're in Sweden, right? We have alder here, too, but I've never seen it with that figure.

Liam Ryan
11-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Wax the ends NOW! I melt paraffin canning wax in a dedicated "CrockPot" and just use a stiff paint brush.

I use PVC cement - the stuff plumbers use to glue PVC pipe together. It works a treat. It has a handy brush attached to the underside of the lid. Be aware that the stuff's not very good to sniff, drink or pour down your pants, unless you're into that sort of thing.

olgoat52
11-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I've got a big bandsaw Sven. How about Christmas in the tropics. We can saw up wood and drink some beers.:)

Allen, that sounds like an incredibly bad idea!! :) Maybe saw first and beers later..