PDA

View Full Version : "The 'Ukulele: A History" coming in May

Jim T.
11-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Only seven years after John and I signed the contract, the University of Hawai'i Press will be publishing "The 'Ukulele: A History" this coming May. Check out the new UHP catalog:

http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/catalogs/HP2012Web.pdf

I'm really stoked.

pulelehua
11-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Jim, fantastic news! I will DEFINITELY be picking up a copy.

:)

janeray1940
11-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Jim, fantastic news! I will DEFINITELY be picking up a copy.

:)

As will I. Really looking forward to this!

Hippie Dribble
11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
and me...not for sale to Australia but there are ways and means around these things :)

RyanMFT
11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I can't wait Jim, congrats! Only wish John were here to share this with you!

UkueBass23
11-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Wow. Can't wait.

wolfybau
11-21-2011, 09:32 AM
thats realy cool congrats

Trinimon
11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Sign me up! I can use some good reading material! Thanks for the heads up.

joeybug
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Congrats! Will have to use those other ways and means of getting a copy here in the UK!

Looks like it'll make excellent reading :D

mds725
11-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Looks like a great book! I'll be sure to get one for myself. It also looks like it would be a great gift for ukulele enthusiasts and fans of Hawaiian music.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
11-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Very cool. It's now at the top of my summer reading list.

ItsMrPitchy
11-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I will need to get a copy here in UK. Cant wait.

maclay
11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
"The 'Ukulele: A History" this coming May.
I'm really stoked.

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to reading that.

For those of you who can't wait until May, check this out.
http://www.hiveukuleles.com/unofficial-uke-history/

bigchiz
11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I just sent a recommendation to our public library to purchase a copy.

Jim T.
11-21-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm checking now to see what's up with availability outside the U.S.

RyanMFT
11-21-2011, 07:44 PM
For those of you who can't wait until May, check this out.
http://www.hiveukuleles.com/unofficial-uke-history/

OK, that was bloody awesome.....Jim, if you haven't read this, you must! It may very well change everything you ever thought you knew about ukulele! :)

maclay
11-21-2011, 08:31 PM
OK, that was bloody awesome.....Jim, if you haven't read this, you must! It may very well change everything you ever thought you knew about ukulele! :)

RyanMFT....I received this anonymous email last year, and it forever changed the way I think about ukulele history. After careful consideration, I decided to share it with the rest of ukulele community. :)

Jim T.
11-22-2011, 08:51 AM

It's suddenly become very clear that John's and my research wasn't nearly as thorough as we thought.

PedalFreak
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Just saw this on Amazon. They are taking preorders for this book :D

PAPERBACK (http://www.amazon.com/The-Ukulele-History-Jim-Tranquada/dp/0824836340/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336423167&sr=8-1)

HARDCOVER (http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-A-History-Jim-Tranquada/dp/0824835441/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1336423167&sr=8-1)

janeray1940
05-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Just saw this on Amazon. They are taking preorders for this book :D

PAPERBACK (http://www.amazon.com/The-Ukulele-History-Jim-Tranquada/dp/0824836340/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336423167&sr=8-1)

HARDCOVER (http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-A-History-Jim-Tranquada/dp/0824835441/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1336423167&sr=8-1)

Preordered mine yesterday, with a ship date of 5/30. In my experience with Amazon this usually means a few days earlier than that. I'm so looking forward to this!

PedalFreak
05-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Preordered mine yesterday, with a ship date of 5/30. In my experience with Amazon this usually means a few days earlier than that. I'm so looking forward to this!

Cool. When I preorderd mine (Hardcover) it said it's estimated "Arrival" was June 1 :D

RyanMFT
05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
I emailed with Jim T. last week to ask him about the release date of the book and he told me that he is waiting to hear himself and he will come on UU and Fleamarketmusic to let us know when he knows. I pre-ordered my copy as well.

I simply can't wait to get the book, Jim is such a quality guy and of course he and John King worked hard together to make this happen. Viva la The Ukulele: A History!!!

njukeman
05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I preordered a hardcover copy as well! Looking forward to it!!!

ksiegel
05-07-2012, 01:23 PM
The phrase "Pre-order" is Bull.

I ordered the paperback, with estimated delivery date of 9 June, 2012.

If I had "pre-ordered" it, I would have simply filled out the ordering paperwork, then waited for the item to become available, and THEN placed the order.

English is a great language. I hate seeing it eviscerated.

-Kurt

Hippie Dribble
05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
The phrase "Pre-order" is Bull.

English is a great language. I hate seeing it eviscerated.

-Kurt

aah, good point Kurt...yeah, how can you pre-order something that you've payed for and been given a delivery date? Isn't that an order? he he...nice one brother. :)

Actually I did place a pre-pre-pre-pre-order for an illustrated history of the 21st century..not expecting it for awhile though :p

kvehe
05-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I've ordered my copy!

Jim T.
05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
I've ordered my copy!

Well, we're getting close. The books are now sitting in a warehouse in Pennsylvania. I know they actually exist, because a copy arrived in the mail today. I'm on the road on business, so won't actually be able to hold a copy in my hand until late tomorrow night. I'm just so sorry that John isn't here to share this wonderful moment with me. Of course, I'm intensely curious as to what the ukulele community will think. Don't miss the footnotes: there are some great bits scattered in there that we couldn't shoehorn into the main narrative, but couldn't bear to jettison.

Olarte
05-08-2012, 02:27 AM
oh, I did not know about this one. I just put my order for the hardcover. it's 3 times as expensive but the book should be well worth it.

HEre is another one that I have on pre-order: "Ukulele Heroes by Ian Whitcomb" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1458416542/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00) That one should be quite intersting as well.

PedalFreak
05-08-2012, 03:15 AM
aah, good point Kurt...yeah, how can you pre-order something that you've payed for and been given a delivery date? Isn't that an order? he he...nice one brother. :)

Actually, Amazon doesn't charge you for their "Pre Orders" until the item ships :) You can go in and cancel it at any time prior to shipping, so technically it is still a "Pre Order" :)

Jim T.
05-08-2012, 03:35 AM
oh, I did not know about this one. I just put my order for the hardcover. it's 3 times as expensive but the book should be well worth it.

HEre is another one that I have on pre-order: "Ukulele Heroes by Ian Whitcomb" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1458416542/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00) That one should be quite intersting as well.

I recommend Ian's book as well. I've had a chance to read quite a bit of it. It takes a more personal approach to the material, which is entirely appropriate for someone who is himself a historic figure. Ian was the first rocker to appear on TV playing the uke -- long before Eddie Vedder.

Lori
05-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Any chance this book will be available as an eBook or iPad compatible book? I am sure that could be helpful for the international customers.

–Lori

Jim T.
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Any chance this book will be available as an eBook or iPad compatible book? I am sure that could be helpful for the international customers.

–Lori

Lori: University of Hawai'i Press is a small academic press, and thus far their resources limit the initial run to paper. Frankly, I'm thrilled to have it published in any form at all. But I'll ask about eBooks and let everyone know.

Thinker
05-08-2012, 04:28 PM

–Lori

I pre-odered it (or ordered it for a subsequent monetary exchange and delivery - just to keep the grammarians happy), for Kindle.

uke2020
05-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Shipped from Amazon today!

PedalFreak
05-10-2012, 09:06 AM

You get paperback or hardcover?

janeray1940
05-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Aw man, I opted for paperback and they've pushed the delivery date out to 6/19. It's gonna be a long wait.

ksiegel
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Actually, Amazon doesn't charge you for their "Pre Orders" until the item ships :) You can go in and cancel it at any time prior to shipping, so technically it is still a "Pre Order" :)

Nope - still counts as an order, as in "I ordered an item, it hasn't shipped yet".

A true pre-order is "put my name on the list, let me know when it is available, I'll place the order at that time." Just like when I ordered an Epi Les Paul ukulele from a local dealer, and it wasn't available for 4+ months. I could have cancelled at any time- I even bought another one from a dealer who had it in stock (Happened to be Randee's Music). I didn't pre-order my Epi, I ordered the thing.

I enjoy semantics. I also enjoy the proper use of language - "pre-order" doesn't fit the bill.

-Kurt

PedalFreak
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Nope - still counts as an order, as in "I ordered an item, it hasn't shipped yet".

A true pre-order is "put my name on the list, let me know when it is available, I'll place the order at that time." Just like when I ordered an Epi Les Paul ukulele from a local dealer, and it wasn't available for 4+ months. I could have cancelled at any time- I even bought another one from a dealer who had it in stock (Happened to be Randee's Music). I didn't pre-order my Epi, I ordered the thing.

I enjoy semantics. I also enjoy the proper use of language - "pre-order" doesn't fit the bill.

-Kurt

Guess I'm not following Kurt (not trying to argue, just understand the semantics :D )....

It is a preorder because it is unavailable at the time you ordered it, but you can cancel the order anytime.

Definition:

pre - a (1) : earlier than : prior to : before <Precambrian> <prehistoric> (2) : preparatory or prerequisite to <premedical>
b : in advance : beforehand <precancel> <prepay>

order - a : to give an order to : command
b : destine, ordain <so ordered by the gods>
c : to command to go or come to a specified place <ordered back to the base>
d : to give an order for <order a meal>

So by definition of our english language, if you preorder an item, you are ordering something prior to it being available. So the new book could be preordered :)

Wouldn't that be correct?

Again, not trying to argue, just further my knowledge if it is wrong http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/smilies/beer.gif

Jim T.
05-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Guess I'm not following Kurt (not trying to argue, just understand the semantics :D )....

It is a preorder because it is unavailable at the time you ordered it, but you can cancel the order anytime.

Definition:

pre - a (1) : earlier than : prior to : before <Precambrian> <prehistoric> (2) : preparatory or prerequisite to <premedical>
b : in advance : beforehand <precancel> <prepay>

order - a : to give an order to : command
b : destine, ordain <so ordered by the gods>
c : to command to go or come to a specified place <ordered back to the base>
d : to give an order for <order a meal>

So by definition of our english language, if you preorder an item, you are ordering something prior to it being available. So the new book could be preordered :)

Wouldn't that be correct?

Again, not trying to argue, just further my knowledge if it is wrong http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/smilies/beer.gif

However it's done, and whatever you call it, I'm grateful for your interest in the book. Thank you!

PedalFreak
05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
However it's done, and whatever you call it, I'm grateful for your interest in the book. Thank you!

Very excited about the book!

bynapkinart
05-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I ordered it tonight! I can't wait to read it.

uke2020
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
You get paperback or hardcover?

I got the paperback and just checked, in transit, currently in PA.

Lori
05-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Lori: University of Hawai'i Press is a small academic press, and thus far their resources limit the initial run to paper. Frankly, I'm thrilled to have it published in any form at all. But I'll ask about eBooks and let everyone know.
I am guessing that the book must have been created on a computer, so conversion to the proper format shouldn't be too hard? Anybody know? I used to work in book publishing when it was "old school"... photographic typesetting with bristol board and wax (or rubber cement:( ). These days it should be much easier. I would much prefer an eBook.... I don't have room for any more books in my apartment.
–Lori

BlueLatitude
05-11-2012, 03:23 AM
I just ordered. I admit, as a fashion history addict, it was the cover picture that pushed me over the edge to get it as quickly as I could!

wickedwahine11
05-11-2012, 04:32 AM
Hmm, that is a tough decision. I woukd prefer the paperback, as it is easier to transport and less expensive, but I am the most impatient person in the world and so that gratification is seriously delayed if it won't ship until June 19.

Does anyone know if it is available for purchase at the UH campus?

Jim T.
05-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Hmm, that is a tough decision. I woukd prefer the paperback, as it is easier to transport and less expensive, but I am the most impatient person in the world and so that gratification is seriously delayed if it won't ship until June 19.

Does anyone know if it is available for purchase at the UH campus?

Books were printed on the mainland, and have to be shipped to Hawai'i; last news was they haven't yet arrived in Honolulu.

hedgehogsontoast
05-11-2012, 05:50 AM
HUZZAH! Great news!

ksiegel
05-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Just notified by Amazon, estimated delivery date of Paperback is May 21 to Upstate NY, rather than June 19.

We'll see what happens!

-Kurt

janeray1940
05-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Just notified by Amazon, estimated delivery date of Paperback is May 21 to Upstate NY, rather than June 19.

We'll see what happens!

-Kurt

And May 18 - this Friday! - to SoCal. Here's hoping!

blue_knight_usa
05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Jim, will we be able to download it to our Kindle or Ipad?
Cheers,

AKuker
05-15-2012, 02:32 PM
My copy arrived in Alaska yesterday!

uke2020
05-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Arrived in Boston. Beautiful book. Read intro and so far so good!

bynapkinart
05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Mine should be here Friday or Monday! Can't wait!

Jim T.
05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Jim, will we be able to download it to our Kindle or Ipad?
Cheers,

Alas, UH Press has no plans for an e-edition at this point.

PedalFreak
05-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Got an email on Saturday, my hardcover copy will be here Tuesday! :D

janeray1940
05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Spent half the day yesterday reading mine on the beach and enjoying every word. Jim T., I blame my sunburn on you :)

njukeman
05-21-2012, 06:05 AM
My hardcover order still haven't shipped. :( Delivery estimate is June 4-6. I hope thats true cause amazon says it doesn't ship now for 1 to 2 months and the price went up. They must of sold out of the first hardcover printing run?

wickedwahine11
05-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Ooh, mine is out for delivery today, yay!

Jim T.
05-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Spent half the day yesterday reading mine on the beach and enjoying every word. Jim T., I blame my sunburn on you :)

Jane, it's a well known fact that the 'ukulele provides insufficient shade on the beach. :) Thanks for the kind words -- that's the first reader review I've had!

ksiegel
05-21-2012, 03:04 PM
My paperback copy arrived today in Upstate NY - I think I'll leave it at home, and read it when I get back from Wisconsin, rather than take a chance on forgetting it and leaving it somewhere.

itsme
05-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Just ordered, but it says "Usually ships within 2 to 3 weeks."

Anyway, Amazon has quite a few pages to preview now which weren't there the last time I looked. :)

mds725
05-21-2012, 09:25 PM
My softback copy (ordered through amazon.com) shipped on the 19th and will be here on the 23rd.

PedalFreak
05-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Fedex transferred my package to USPS :( Going to take an extra 2 days now :( Problem is the day it's suppose to arrive now I'm leaving for 5 days, and wont be able to take it with now :(

bynapkinart
05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Mine was at home when I came back from work! I know what I'm going to be reading for the next couple of weeks!

bynapkinart
05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
It even has a sweet full page ad from the 1920's, advertising my Johnny Marvin Tenor! Awesome stuff!

kauaijim
05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Bought a paperback copy at B&N at Ali Moana yesterday. Only a few pages in, but it is clearly a thoughtful and scholarly work. Thank you.

njukeman
05-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Finally Amazon shipped the book! Should be here on the 30th. Yippee!

Uke Whisperer
08-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I had planned to wait until I had completed reading ‘The Ukulele, A History’ before writing any comments about it but I just couldn’t wait . I have read up through the first few chapters, I did a quick review of the remaining chapters, I read the 6 page listing of Early Hawaiian Luthiers, the 6 page Annotated Checklist of Ukulele Methods and Songbooks, 1894-1920, the 73 pages of Notes, the 18 pages of the Bibliography, a very detailed Index AND “About the Authors” (Jim Tranquada and John King). This book is “plum full” of information! It took from the first of June (when my wife ordered it through Books-A Million) till this past week to get to me. It is a “great read” and so far I highly recommend it to all Uke Underground members!
Time to pick-up the Uke and practice a while.