Bach Fest!

FPK

Reaction score
I am a violinist for the most part, so when I learn a classical piece, I often try to transpose the piece to the uke. Some have too much ocatve range to be playable on the relatively un-versitile (not enough octaves) uke. But some are quite simple transpositions that end up working quite well. (Like when John King played Cello Suite 1...).

I know John King did it, so I'm interested to see what kind of classical repertoire we can all come up with here.
Just send in a video of you playing the piece. (It doesn't have to be Bach).

I did start this, so just check back later this week for my entry. (I is a excerpt from a bach partida.

Also, if you want to take the idea of a classical piece and make it in to your own thing, that would be really cool too. I'm just throwing some ideas out there.

Have Fun,

Will

Sorry, maybe in a few months.

I play classical guitar and am just starting to learn uke. I got John Kings excellent book And having already played the cello prelude 1007 on guitar I hope to do it justice in the uke.... In due time.

I look forward to following this thread in the meantime.

I did the bach intervention 4 in dm, originally done by jake. Its definitely one of my favorite things to play on the uke now. Here's an old video when I first learned it, I've gotten a lot better since then.

I too enjoy classical music and wish more people would transpose them to the uke.

Bach Prelude

I was inspired by John King's Bach Prelude so I did it for a tenor low "g" in the original key. A friend asked me to play this on the cello for their wedding, but I asked if it'd be OK to do it on uke instead.

I was inspired by John King's Bach Prelude so I did it for a tenor low "g" in the original key. A friend asked me to play this on the cello for their wedding, but I asked if it'd be OK to do it on uke instead.

Any chance there is sheet music for this somewhere? It is by far my Wife's favorite and I'd love to learn it for her. I have a low G Tenor too.

both of these videos were really inspiring!

papplehead, you say you've improved since this vid. let's see some new stuff! this vid is wonderful, i'd love to see it get even better.

i have always loved bach's prelude piece. john, if you could post a video a la aldrine's song lessons, i think that many of us would be much obliged. i envision yo yo ma every time i hear this piece. phenomenal uke-terpretation.

:shaka:

Ah, I also would be looking for transcriptions. My first music was an early music, this Lute to Uke book, because the soft sound of the uke is lute-like to my ears. I really like Bach--play a lot of the WTC on the piano. Maybe we need to collect transcriptions. I think the uke is well suited to baroque music. The prelude here is lovely.

That was awesome!

Beautiful - you got the music & not just the notes - very well played sir!

okay you two video posters...!

Christmas and new year's are past. it's 2012. we're all ready to learn those songs!

please do a tutorial for us!

:shaka:

Well, I won't be posting any vids for awhile. I just got my uke less than two weeks ago so .... I am working on Ode to Joy and love classical music so I hope this thread will continue!!

Bach is my favorite thing to listen to on ukulele. Someday I'll learn how! Great job, guys.

papplehead, you say you've improved since this vid. let's see some new stuff! this vid is wonderful, i'd love to see it get even better.

I finally did another version, this one is a bit faster and more clean.

As for a tutorial, it would be really hard to explain everything in a video but I would be happy to help out anyone who wants to learn this difficult piece. To begin, take a look at the tabs:
http://edwhitehead.atwebpages.com/invention4.pdf

go through them slowly. And by slowly, i mean slowly. Learn the first 4 measures in one day. Take your time, set your metronome to like 50 bpm and really get the hang of moving your hand around the fretboard. Dont be afraid to make that stretch to the Bb using your pinky at the end of the first measure. Once you can play the first 4 measures, move onto the next 2. The 5th and 6th measures are the most difficult to play cleanly in my opinion so dont get discouraged if it takes a really long time. I can help with the fingerings if there are any questions.
good luck :)

As for a tutorial, it would be really hard to explain everything in a video but I would be happy to help out anyone who wants to learn this difficult piece. To begin, take a look at the tabs:
http://edwhitehead.atwebpages.com/invention4.pdf

go through them slowly. And by slowly, i mean slowly. Learn the first 4 measures in one day. Take your time, set your metronome to like 50 bpm and really get the hang of moving your hand around the fretboard. Dont be afraid to make that stretch to the Bb using your pinky at the end of the first measure. Once you can play the first 4 measures, move onto the next 2. The 5th and 6th measures are the most difficult to play cleanly in my opinion so dont get discouraged if it takes a really long time. I can help with the fingerings if there are any questions.
good luck :)

Excellent advice I suspect and beautifully played too! I'm going to give this a go - be back in about 10 years I suspect ;)

Does anyone have tab/music with fingerings for this piece? I also found another Bach piece transcribed by Jake here:

http://youtu.be/6Ad39Qv3qKg

Any info would be awesome, thanks!

Chris

Top Bottom