New Uke Day (I really have it bad!)

DougNC

Reaction score
Been playing for 3 months and just got my 5th uke! I have a very indulgent wife.

Got my Mainland Mango Soprano. Classical shape, gold-tone friction tuners with amber buttons, gloss finish.

I haven't put it down long enough to take pictures yet.

Fantastic sound. Loud, but responsive enough to be able to play it with great sensitivity.

Been going back and forth between it and my Kala Acacia Concert. Finally decided there is no favorite here...I love them both and would choose one over the other simply on the basis of feeling like one might be better suited for a particular song. For that matter, I love my Oscar Schmidt just as much.

Someone should have told me this is more addictive than when I first took up guitar 6-7 years ago.

But ain't we havin' fun!!!

Pix will be coming in a couple of days when I have some actual vacation days from work.

Doug

Congratulations on the new uke! You may have UAS, but you have good taste in ukes! Just out of curiosity, and aside from the differences relating to scale (soprano vs. concert), how would you describe the differences (sound, tone, playability, etc.) between your Mainland mango soprano and Kala acacia concert?

Congrats on the new Uke! Yup, sounds like UAS, but as mds said, at least you have good taste in Ukuleles!! Glad the wife is okay about it all as well..I've been playing 15 months and I'm saving up for number 9, so it does slow down, or at least it did for me! Good Luck!

Also, looking forward to pics and maybe a sound sample? :music:

Five ukes in three months, you got it bad my friend, Congrats on your Mainland. You know when I first started I went threw so many ukes, and loved most all of them. My UAS has settled now that I have found the few that I love best. I look at the marketplace and I am not "too" tempted to buy because I have what I want, love and need. I sure do miss those new uke days though so I have to live vicariously threw everyone else's new uke day. Woo Hoo congratulations. I really need to get myself a Mainland though.

Congratulations, and welcome to the support group!

Congratulations on the new uke! You may have UAS, but you have good taste in ukes! Just out of curiosity, and aside from the differences relating to scale (soprano vs. concert), how would you describe the differences (sound, tone, playability, etc.) between your Mainland mango soprano and Kala acacia concert?

I really want to give the Mainland time to open a bit before making tonal comparisons--but of course that hasn't completely stopped me. The only comment I feel safe to make at this time is that the Kala concert definitely has a "fuller" sound to it compared to the Mainland soprano. Not surprising considering the size differences in the bodies. So far I can't distinguish differences that I can attribute to the variety of wood used in each. That may become more evident as the Mainland open up, or it may not be possible due to this being a soprano vs. concert thing.

Just home for lunch and made time to respond here, and play a little more. Back to the grind now, though. Thank goodness I have the next 5 days off.

Doug

You should post some pictureS!

Yeah, I totally feel you. I've been playing since the beginning of the year and I've already bought 5 different ukes with number 6 on its' way. I ended up returning one and just sold another so I'm sitting at 3 until the next one arrives. At that point I'll probably sell another and keep it at 3 ukes. I figure I can keep buying new ukes as long as I keep selling old ones.

Wow....5 ukes in 3 months!!!! Your wife is a keeper!!!!

Top Bottom