Baritone worth browns too loose

dezer

Reaction score
I just restrung my Mainland mahogany baritone with Worth browns and the d string feels a lot looser than I think it should and I'm pretty sure if I go up the octave(which I did) it's too tight.
Is this a common or should I go higher?

Strum the strings down and see if it sounds right....if you are one octave lower it should sound way off.. be careful going up one octave..you could break your strings, rip the bridge out or worse have neck problems....

... restrung my ... baritone with Worth browns and the d string feels a lot looser than I think it should...Is this a common or should I go higher?

This is common with a Worth Baritone set. There is really no unwound material that comes close to being adequate for that note. Worth supllies the thickest string they can without being ridiculous about it. Even with that, you'll really have to hate wound strings to be able to tolerate the loose tension.

That was my first impression but I now enjoy the strings. I think my strumming and picking style has changed--Much softer touch with right hand; sort of 'pushing' the strings rather than striking the strings. The volume is about the same. I enjoy the sound when playing with a GCEA tuned uke.

Initially I liked Hilo strings on my spruce top baritone and Aquila bionylons sound less harsh than the standard Aquila on my mahogany baritones. Over the past month I have put Worth browns on the spruce top--the uke I play most of the time. Its definitely a different sound which has required slight changes in technique because the browns are very soft and flexible. To paraphrase Eugene Ukulele a couple of pagess back, these Worth brown strings are 'more sympathetic to my voice'. Takes a lot of sympathy to do that.

Where is my like button? Exactly.
This is common with a Worth Baritone set. There is really no unwound material that comes close to being adequate for that note. Worth supllies the thickest string they can without being ridiculous about it. Even with that, you'll really have to hate wound strings to be able to tolerate the loose tension.

What are Hilo strings made of? Wound? Unwound?

Initially I liked Hilo strings on my spruce top baritone and Aquila bionylons sound less harsh than the standard Aquila on my mahogany baritones.

What are the Hilo baritone D and G strings made of? I couldn't find the answer on their site.

I use all-nylon (or Tylex, or whatever Hilo calls them) Hilo GCEA strings on my baritone and then tune down 2 steps to EAC#F# ( I think) which gives me something in between DGBE and GCEA... I love it there. Hilo strings are great on my Baritone (but not DGBE strings, I don't know about those; and I never liked wound strings).

Just giving you another option, 13.

And I felt the same way about a set of Worth Browns for Baritone, and tuned them up two half steps (E-A-C#-F#). Much more playable, but still not ideal for my taste. I have some fishing line formula strings, as well as some Hilos to try next. Dirk, save me a set of Southcoasts for early 2013

+1 on the Guadalupes, I have a low G set on my tenor, metal wound G and nylon wound CEA. Didn't like them at first because they have a very different feel, but they have plenty of tension and a very even and dry guitarish sound: not much attack, lots of sustain. I haven't tried Bari strings from them yet.

Opportunistic self promotion: here are the Guadalupe strings in action, with me sloppily backing up Janeray with some chords on the Kanilea Tenor w/ Guadalupe low G. http://youtu.be/miY5TBFSbEQ

Top Bottom