Conflict of intrest?

ukeeku

Reaction score
I trust that all of you will give me a straight answer to this question.
I love running Ukeeku.com, but it is a money losing venture. Using something like Google ads is not going to happen since I can not control what is up there. I look for sponsors all the time, and the different makers want to sponsor me, but I can't take their money since it would be a conflict of interest. All I am left with are people outside the ukulele selling world and shops like Elderly to sponsor the site, and none of them see the benifit in my site.

The question is this.
I am thinking about starting a site that just sell ukuleles cases. every size, shape, color, and material. Would this be a conflict of interest?

Please be honest.

I don't think it is a conflict at all. I wouldn't limit it to cases either. Be upfront about your review process. It might be difficult to implement but if you allow customers to post thier own ratings and reviews about products you carry, you don't have to worry so much about the effect of your reviews.

If it helps you break even, go for it.

The question is this.
I am thinking about starting a site that just sell ukuleles cases. every size, shape, color, and material. Would this be a conflict of interest?

Please be honest.

No, not at all. You have to work. If you review something that you sell, do what I do and make sure that you tell people that. If you are always fair and honest, even if it is a product you don't sell, people will still trust your judgment.

I don't see any conflict at all!

I think it'd be a good idea! I don't like you going out of pocket for this, but I see the dilemma.
It'd be like Ken giving a rave review of Ohana ukes. As great as they are (and they are!), it would come across as suspect.

Or me reviewing a Moore Bettah...

Oh, wait. I don't have one of those. Chuck, can you fix that so I can have a conflict of interest? Simply for the sake of this exercise, of course...

I really wouldn't worry about it. I surf boards for model building and they sell models, accessories,etc... I also go to camping forums and they do the same thing. Bottom line is the bills have to get paid and you gotta do what you gotta do...

Beside finding more ukes to review at NAMM, I think I will see how I can make it happen. Thanks for all hte feedback.

There's no conflict of interest when it comes to what you are doing. We all have to make money! It only becomes an issue if you started giving favorable reviews to the companies that advertise with you. If a company wants to advertise with you and you give a poor review of their instrument, they have the choice weather to pull out or not.

Specializing in selling ukulele cases might be a good idea. Selling cases has advantages and disadvantages.
On the pro-side, it's pretty easy, no set-up or worries about action, intonation, etc. Generally people don't return them either. Just pack it and ship it. No worrying about temperature or humidity.
On the con-side, you've got to be sure they fit whatever particluar ukulele the customer wants them for, this includes customs, arched backs, etc. To get them cheap, you've got to buy bulk and cases take up alot of room. If you order in bulk from an overseas supplier, you've got to be sure of the quality and fit. Most case manufacturers are luggage makers that don't necessarily see why a quarter inch makes a difference here and there. Cases are heavy and so the shipping is kind of expensive, that means if you buy from overseas, you've got to send them by sea and wait over a month to get them and you're money is tied up in the meanwhile.
Because of the cons, it seems alot of ukuele companies don't offer alot of variety, which could be a big advantage for you. Just thinking out loud. Good luck!

I trust that all of you will give me a straight answer to this question.
I love running Ukeeku.com, but it is a money losing venture. Using something like Google ads is not going to happen since I can not control what is up there. I look for sponsors all the time, and the different makers want to sponsor me, but I can't take their money since it would be a conflict of interest. All I am left with are people outside the ukulele selling world and shops like Elderly to sponsor the site, and none of them see the benifit in my site.

The question is this.

Please be honest.

Why stop at cases? Seems to me if your site mainly reviews ukes (and it appears that way), why not also offer other uke accessories like strings, straps, tuners, tuning pegs, bridge pins, humidifiers, etc.

Of course, if you are totally honest in your reviews, you could still accept sponsorship from uke manufacturers, provided they understand that you will either a) not review their products or b) will be honest in your evaluations. The only trouble there is the perception of influence and bias, and that can sometimes be as bad as actual bias.

Anyway, best of luck. I enjoy your site and think it is well worth doing what you can to keep it.

IMHO:

Selling ukes and reviewing ukes is a conflict of interest.

Accepting advertising from a company whose products you review is not necessarily a direct conflict of interest, but nonetheless would put you in a potential conflict of interest and would certainly detract from the credibility of your site.

As for reviewing ukuleles and selling a related product, like cases, there is no conflict of interest whatsoever.

Disclosing a conflict of interest is honest and ethical, but does NOT make the conflict of interest "go away".

IMHO:

Selling ukes and reviewing ukes is a conflict of interest.

Accepting advertising from a company whose products you review is not necessarily a direct conflict of interest, but nonetheless would put you in a potential conflict of interest and would certainly detract from the credibility of your site.

As for reviewing ukuleles and selling a related product, like cases, there is no conflict of interest whatsoever.

Disclosing a conflict of interest is honest and ethical, but does NOT make the conflict of interest "go away".

All I can say is "Yes"
it is tricky and I have stayed away. Maybe I can be my own spnsor in the end.

Sounds like a great idea, no conflict.

Yup, sounds like those mighty gears in your Nogin is working overtime...You have found your nitch....just don't do anything on cases and you will be fine...
how about Ukulele acesssories...now there's a thought...Good Luck and Best Wishes...

Specializing in selling ukulele cases might be a good idea. Selling cases has advantages and disadvantages.
On the pro-side, it's pretty easy, no set-up or worries about action, intonation, etc. Generally people don't return them either. Just pack it and ship it. No worrying about temperature or humidity.
On the con-side, you've got to be sure they fit whatever particluar ukulele the customer wants them for, this includes customs, arched backs, etc. To get them cheap, you've got to buy bulk and cases take up alot of room. If you order in bulk from an overseas supplier, you've got to be sure of the quality and fit. Most case manufacturers are luggage makers that don't necessarily see why a quarter inch makes a difference here and there. Cases are heavy and so the shipping is kind of expensive, that means if you buy from overseas, you've got to send them by sea and wait over a month to get them and you're money is tied up in the meanwhile.
Because of the cons, it seems alot of ukuele companies don't offer alot of variety, which could be a big advantage for you. Just thinking out loud. Good luck!

Lots of great insight there, Mike.

I use AdSense on a disc golf website. You might be surprised pleasantly surprised at how it works and your ability have some control on the ad content. Might also be surprised at the money coming once the ads are setup. And, if you try it and still don't like it then just drop them, no charge for that.

http://nebdiscforums.yuku.com/

Definitely conflict of interest. I can honestly say and I'm sure several others will agree that they bought or buying a particular brand due to your great unbiased review. (Bradford for me)

I would never buy a Koaloha because Herb Ohta Jr. says it's great or Ken Middleton saying Ohana is great. However, I would buy a Koaloha or Ohana because it sounds good and I like Herb and Ken as ukulele players. Maybe one day I buy a "XXXXX" brand because I like Ukeeku's playing.

<snip>
You bring up some good points. To be competitively priced, you'd have to do some serious volume, which would involve stocking considerable inventory.

Let's face it, many of us are pretty cheap and will buy from one of the "big box" stores just to save a buck or two. Can you really compete with Amazon or Musician's Friend, etc. based on price?

How about strings? I would love to have a reliable alternative for Worths. Elderly's shipping charges for a single pack is pretty ridiculous ($6.75 for the cheapest ground option).

I used to order Worths from MGM on ebay. He would ship for under $1 and always sold out shortly after getting them in stock.

You might also consider becoming an Amazon affiliate or an affiliate of other companies that sell uke stuff.

Customer clicks a link, Amazon sells product and fulfills the order and you get your cut.

Could add up.

Top Bottom