Kamaka HF-38 8 string Tenor

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought a Kamaka HF-38 8 string Tenor on EBay (item # 250925619438)

It just arrived today. Very full sound. Except for the wound low G string all the strings are black. The previous owner hadn't changed the lines so she doesn't know the brand that is currently installed. By the labels and decals it was built between 1969 and 2000. Someone added a clear plastic pick guard to the front of it

I tried a new Kamaka Tenor HF-3 at a dealer and thought the stock strings were pretty dull sounding. I imagine changing to to Aquila will yield a much brighter sound.

I'll post more as I learn this instrument.

Does anyone else have much experience with this model uke?

Last edited:
Congratulations!! I just played a Kamaka 8 string at the factory while on a trip in August, and fell in love with it!! Great sounding uke, gotta start saving up...again!!

Had a white label here a lady said she was cleaning out her garage...she sold it for 400.00 it went quick...wait till her son hears...he he
she probally had no idea of it's worth.....yes gold labels were till 69...then after white labels..

Had a white label here a lady said she was cleaning out her garage...she sold it for 400.00 it went quick...wait till her son hears...he he
she probally had no idea of it's worth.....yes gold labels were till 69...then after white labels..

Sounds like you got a great deal. You can tell this is an old uke, by the feel. What strings are you using on yours?

Ya gotta try the Southcoast 8 string set with the wounds. Put em on my 8 string (not a Kamaka) and it just sounds unreal. Mine's not the loudest instrument and with other strings, the sound is bright. The Southcoast set tones it down and IMO gives it clarity and more depth. There is a resounding difference when I play Fmaj7, the bass notes carry and the trebles ring making the chord quite distinct.

Have you kept the scheme G and C octave and E and A in unison? I was thinking of just putting on two low G tenor sets so that all the strings would be in unison. I thonk that might give a better sound if picking.

I used the original config from Southcoast and you can still finger pick with that setup. IMO, I feel that the purpose of the 8 string is defeated going that route. Give it a shot, if you like it it's all good.

I ordered a set from Soutcoast and should have them next week. My local shop had a set of Hilo's that I'll keep inthe case as spares.
I'm an ex-smoker. When I did smoke, I kept an extra pack in every jacket and a carton in the car. I guess I'm doing the same thing with ukes and strings.

Top Bottom