Limba (Korina) as a ukue tonewood

(the) Indigo Getdown

Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody here has ever played a ukulele that used limba (known as korina in some circles) as a tonewood. From what I understand, it's primarily a wood used in the construction of solid body electric guitars. A friend of mine who's built guitars and mandolins as a hobby for years is interested in trying his hand at a couple ukes for me and another friend. Anyway, he apparently has a lot of limba lying around that he likes to build with. I'm curious if that would work well.

He has a piece of koa that I think will end up being the top, so I'm also kind of researching what sort of wood would compliment the koa well. I've also been told that maple is a possibility for the sides and back. Anyway, figured it'd be smart to get some opinions from folks who have been around ukes for much longer than I have at this point.

Thanks!

Check on the Mya-Moe website, I believe they made a limba ukulele a while back.

Limb a is a perfectly suitable tone wood for ukes. It's similar to mahogany in weight and tone. I personally prefer the look of Black Limba over the White Limba, but that's just personal preference. (black and white limb a come from the same tree, the different name simply refers to the coloration of the grain)

I'd say if you're going to use koa for the top then I wouldn't worry too much about the tonal characteristics of what you're using for the back and sides (as long as it's not balsa or something ridiculous like that). Of the tone and volume characteristics that are due to wood the top is probably 90 or 95 percent responsible vs. the back and sides. Of course, construction details, thickness, bracing, etc. make a HUGE difference in an acoustic instrument - you can use the best wood in the world and make an absolute mess. Which I say just in passing because if you're friend has been making exclusively solid-body instruments he is almost certain to overbuild his first few acoustics - it takes a while for the brain to connect that a concert-sized acoustic ukulele should weigh in under a pound with tuners and all. :) (Oh, and for those who doubt - my KoAloha longneck soprano weighs 14 ounces and my KoAloha concert weighed 15 ounces - I'm sure most of the luthier-built instruments probably shave an ounce or two off that.)

As for Korina..."Corina, Corina, where you been so long..." (sorry, long day and I couldn't resist)

John

Delayed response much? ;)

Appreciate the input, everybody! I haven't talked to my friend in a couple weeks, but last I heard it's gonna have the koa top and limba for the back and sides. He also stumbled onto a tenor scale rosewood fretboard for pretty cheap. Not sure when he was planning on getting started on this, but probably won't be until after the holidays. Good things come to those who wait, right?

And Phart, he's built both acoustic and electric instruments, solid and hollow body. It'll be interesting to see how this particular project turns out. I'll keep the UUers posted, of course.

Top Bottom