PDA

View Full Version : Poor man's Luthier's Friend....

Pete Howlett
11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
45 minutes and less than $5 worth of materials using stuff alrerady in workshop you can make yourself one of these....

http://youtu.be/Q4ZKygG3XqU

mketom
11-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Thank you!! I was just thinking of buying a Luthier's Friend. You are a true luthier's friend!

Pete Howlett
11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
There are 2 advantages to the commercial Luthier's Friend - the sander drum which runs on a simple lower bearing and the fine adjustment. If you are using it for light work then the former is not need . The latter is doable but only necessary if you need fine tolerances. I'm only using this for thicknessing headstocks with the fence set up using guages of the correct thickness.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2011, 12:37 PM
What...You and Ken having a contest?
If it's just for thicknessing headstocks, I cut a notch in the cover of my drum sander to allow me to do that. With the feed belt off of course.
I like what you've done here but if I had one more tool or jig the walls of my shop would burst. I bought some jewelers saw blades the other day and spent an hour trying to decide what to throw out to make room for them..

dave g
11-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm gonna be copying that! The new thickness sander (with it's pinch rollers) won't be able to do headstocks like the old home-made one.

tonewood
11-22-2011, 10:19 PM
That is really sweet. Thanks Pete.

Timbuck
11-22-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm gonna be copying that! The new thickness sander (with it's pinch rollers) won't be able to do headstocks like the old home-made one.I've been removing the pinch roller assembly to do this job on the Jet..It only takes 5 minutes to remove the dust cover and undo the 4 capscrews holding the roller frame :)..But it is a pain to do co's I have to put it all back again afterwards and adjust....and the screws are not easy to get at:(

Pete Howlett
11-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Hence my solution. It was eithert that or spend 200 making a similar one to that used at the Gibson factory.... a sort of mini thickness sander running on linnear bearings with a dedicated drum.

Pukulele Pete
11-23-2011, 03:09 AM
So Bob's your uncle .

Pete Howlett
11-23-2011, 04:44 AM
And Fanny's your aunt :)

Pete Howlett
11-23-2011, 05:05 AM
It's why I won't break down that sander Ken - it is a very compact build. In my experience, if a fiddle around with stuff I can never restore it to its original settings... just like my phone :(

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Hence my solution. It was eithert that or spend 200 making a similar one to that used at the Gibson factory.... a sort of mini thickness sander running on linnear bearings with a dedicated drum.

And hence my solution. By removing a very small part of the cowling of your drum sander, a headstock will easily fit under the pinch rollers. At least on the Performax 16/32.

Timbuck
11-23-2011, 06:54 AM
And hence my solution. By removing a very small part of the cowling of your drum sander, a headstock will easily fit under the pinch rollers. At least on the Performax 16/32. On the Jet 10-20 the pinch rollers rise up the uke neck and hit the drum as the headstock is fed in....Not Nice :mad:..I'm looking for a simple mod to make the front roller quickly detatchable...I'll see what I can come up with :)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-23-2011, 06:59 AM
On the Jet 10-20 the pinch rollers rise up the uke neck and hit the drum as the headstock is fed in....Not Nice :mad:
Just another reason to get the bigger model....

olgoat52
11-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Do you thickness nuts and saddle blanks with this too? Doing them veritically seems like it would be a pain. (ie tape it a board, pull it off, test and tape it back on again, etc etc.) Neat idea.

Timbuck
11-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Do you thickness nuts and saddle blanks with this too? Doing them veritically seems like it would be a pain. (ie tape it a board, pull it off, test and tape it back on again, etc etc.) Neat idea. if you know the thickness of the board and tape, you dont have to pull it off to test you just measure the "whole thickness" and deduct the "board plus tape" thickness.

Pete Howlett
11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Nuts and saddles are done on the drum sander no problem in a simple 'carrier'...

olgoat52
11-23-2011, 09:40 AM
if you know the thickness of the board and tape, you dont have to pull it off to test you just measure the "whole thickness" and deduct the "board plus tape" thickness.

The tape and gap never seem that uniform so when you want a snug fit for the saddle, it is pretty hard to measure it. Usually I would try to sneak up in it. Thanks Ken.

Tarhead
11-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Looks good Pete. I would use this bottom bearing sanding drum buried in a hole in the deck instead of pushing laterally on the unsupported Drillpress quill if this is something being used frequently:

http://www.luthiersfriend.com/robosander/robosander.html
$20 for a 2" is cheap insurance against potential damage..

Pete Howlett
11-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Good point. Problem with those drums is that they loadings are sleeved and don't have the flexibility of the Carroll. With this is in mind, I take care over feed and cut rates to reduce the wear issue. Like all of my processes I aim at complete efficiency in this case, getting the saw to do all the work and the sander just to trim and finish.

olgoat52
11-25-2011, 04:06 AM
I don't understand the comment "the loading are sleeved". Thanks for the link. I have been lookins for something like that.

Good point. Problem with those drums is that they loadings are sleeved and don't have the flexibility of the Carroll. With this is in mind, I take care over feed and cut rates to reduce the wear issue. Like all of my processes I aim at complete efficiency in this case, getting the saw to do all the work and the sander just to trim and finish.

Pete Howlett
11-25-2011, 06:24 AM
The carroll sander has a patented cam system for holding a regular piece of sandpaper. The drum is foam backed giving it a little 'ease'when sanding. Items like the Robo sander have a sanding sleeve or loading that is secured by expanding the hard rubber core ever so slightly. The harfd rubber backing is what I don't like and the expense of having to buy proprietry sleeves...

Timbuck
11-25-2011, 06:57 AM
The carroll sander has a patented cam system for holding a regular piece of sandpaper. The drum is foam backed giving it a little 'ease'when sanding. Items like the Robo sander have a sanding sleeve or loading that is secured by expanding the hard rubber core ever so slightly. The harfd rubber backing is what I don't like and the expense of having to buy proprietry sleeves...
I glue fresh loading over the old sleeves on my spindle sander co's I cant find a supplier for Boss/Delta in the UK.

Vic D
12-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I've had this same idea in my mind and the drum sander in my list on ebay. Now that I see it in action I think I'll copy yours. Thanks, Pete.

Wildestcat
12-30-2012, 01:06 AM

I'm having trouble finding anyone in the UK with the 50mm Carroll drums in stock. Axminster, Tonetech & Rocking Horse Shop all out and don't know if/when supplies will be available. In fact Axminster have stopped listing them due to supply issues. The Axminster own brand large drum sanders have a pretty poor abrasive retaining system, and I always seem to end up with raised folds at the slot. So ... looks as if I need to make my own. Can anyone describe in words or pictures how the Carroll "cam action" abrasive retaining system works please?

Cheers
Paul

DPO
12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm having trouble finding anyone in the UK with the 50mm Carroll drums in stock. Axminster, Tonetech & Rocking Horse Shop all out and don't know if/when supplies will be available. In fact Axminster have stopped listing them due to supply issues. The Axminster own brand large drum sanders have a pretty poor abrasive retaining system, and I always seem to end up with raised folds at the slot. So ... looks as if I need to make my own. Can anyone describe in words or pictures how the Carroll "cam action" abrasive retaining system works please?

Cheers
Paul
I have lost count of the number of times I have emailed Carroll's and never yet have I had a reply!
These people may be happy to ship worldwide.
http://www.carbatec.co.nz/sanding-drums-individual-sizes_c1020

Pete Howlett
12-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I guess Carroll ran out of money maintaining their worldwide patents... I had dealings with them about 15 years ago trying to interest them in my SafeT sander idea and a large portion of their profits was being wasted on their patents. Only if you are a multi million dollar company can you afford to enforce patent protection through litigation. Sad, because the prduct is absoluterly second to none in the marketplace.

The soft core sanders in the link above are good but the cam clamp for the ends of the paper often needs taping with masking tape on grits 180 and above.

Also, I was contacted by the inventor of the Luthier's Friend and asked to take down my video of my device which I have done. I can send images of it if you pm me but no video.

Wildestcat
01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks chaps. I have emailed carbatec for a shipping quote.
Incidentally, I have been told that the guy who makes/supplies the Carroll drums is ill, so I wish him the best and hope he recovers OK.

Cheers
Paul