Korg Clip on Uke Tuner

willisoften

Reaction score
Korg AW-2U

Bought one of these recently to go in the case of uke #2.

It's grand and in some ways I like it better than my Snark SN2, however for anyone considering one I've noticed the following: every now and again it will suddenly decide to read (almost) flat. e.g for A it reads G# and a wee bit !!

The workaround seems to be to remove the battery for ten seconds or so and then start it up again. When it works it's sweet but it is still annoying.

Other points to note:
The Chromatic G (guitar) version is a better deal, the uke tunings are limited. So if you want to tune your sopranino to say D then tough.

The virtual needle will often hunt even when the string is in good tune.
Not something to worry about exactly, but again slightly annoying.

The stem seems fragile between the two ball and socket joints on the swivel arm.
================

If anyone is wondering why I didn't just buy another Snark:
Sometimes mine won't register a plucked string at all and has to be switched on and off continually. Until it starts properly.
I was just trying something different. Hoping for an improvement. :(

Last edited:
I have found clip on tuners sometimes read funny and waiver when the battery is weak.
I know it is a new tuner, but who knows how old or good the battery is.
It may also be your strings if they are old. They lose some of the harmonics over time, we may not hear it, but the tuners do.
When my tuners jump, I check both batteries and strings.

Thanks,

I've replaced the battery in the Snark quite recently and the strings on both ukes are pretty new, less than 8 weeks and seem in good condition. I'll replace the battery in the Korg and see what happens. The other points with Korg still stand.

I had a GoGo TT1 (?) tuner a while ago which read a steady C on a Banjo when plucked close to the bridge and B when plucked close to the fretboard it was rock-steady in both instances. I left it in the car on the only hot day of our summer, and it read A no-matter what, ever after.

I'm new to clip-on tuners and recently purchased an Intelli IMT-500, but its completely dead to the low-E string - nobody home. So I went and looked at published reviews out there and found many others who experienced the very same thing. I then looked around the web at some other clip-on models and found the new Meisel MST-10 (about $21), so I purchased a couple of those. Unlike the IMT-500, it tunes the low-E without issue and has the added bonus of a built-in mike for use with tuning by sound (rather than vibrations) which can comes in handy if there's another musician playing another instrument along side of you.

Top Bottom