Cordoba UP110 - anyone have one? Like it?

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
OK - so I left my old job for new one, and my co-workers and boss presented me with a going away present - a concert Cordoba UP110, which they all signed. Yikes! Best going away present ever, right?

Well, I'm happy to have ANOTHER ukulele, but not expecting much from this instrument, which has laminated sides and back - and maybe a laminate top, for all I know. Fast forward two months and I keep picking this one up more often than my other ukes and I'm finding it's got a great tone, better than I thought you'd get from a uke with laminated sides and back. The neck feels great, and it's even got an abalone roseate on it, which makes it look pretty elegant for a cheaper ukulele.

Is anyone else playing a Cordoba UP110 and enjoying it as much as I seem to be?

I've got the TM20 (20TM??), mahogany tenor, and like it. Mine came well set up from the factory, and has a wonderful sound. The first modern ukulele I bought, just about a year ago.

-Kurt​

According to Guitar Center, the uke is quarter-sawn Sapele - solid wood. It might be better than you expected. Although Cordoba quality can be very poor at times, it is hit and miss. Some of their instruments are good players and some are dogs.

Thanks, Kurt and Mickey.

Interesting to hear from both of you. The Guitar Center down the street from me here has a fancier Cordoba concert with white binding, and it didn't resonate like this one, and I found that quality wasn't there. So yes, I guess they inconsistent. Re: laminate vs. solid wood. I saw the UP110 Concert listed as both laminate and solid Sapele. Maybe they've produced a few of each? The grain on the inside of the use's sides is going widthwise instead of lengthwise, so I'm pretty sure mine has laminate sides. :) Doesn't matter though; it sounds pretty sweet.

According to Guitar Center, the uke is quarter-sawn Sapele - solid wood. It might be better than you expected. Although Cordoba quality can be very poor at times, it is hit and miss. Some of their instruments are good players and some are dogs.

The UP110 is an all-laminate uke, despite what you may read on vendor websites. I think the reason for this is that Cordoba's wesite originally had erroneous information (they also claimed a bone nut & saddle) and the vendors just copied it.

I've had one of these for about a year. The setup was good, the tone is quite nice, but I just don't find myself playing it very often. Not sure why, I just feel ambivalent about it. I think it's going to have to move along pretty soon to the home of someone who will love it and give it the playing it deserves.

The Cordoba websites states specifically when a uke is solid, and it doesn't on this one.

Those are great ukes and ukeeku reviewed it very well as well. I had the next step up and it was nice as too. I don't know why I abhor trim but it sounded pretty darn good. I gave it away but respect those cordoba ukes a lot. They sound better than the typical kala lanikais for sure.

Those are great ukes and ukeeku reviewed it very well as well. I had the next step up and it was nice as too. I don't know why I abhor trim but it sounded pretty darn good. I gave it away but respect those cordoba ukes a lot. They sound better than the typical kala lanikais for sure.

I think so too - my daughter has a concert Lanikai 21 and I think they're comparably priced, but the Cordoba just sounds nicer, fuller. But again, the next model up I played didn't sound as good, so my mileage definitely varied from yours. :)

Top Bottom