were to start

camac

Reaction score
ok i have been playing the uku now for about 6mth and am really enjoying it.
Recently as i live in Thailand and have not been able to get out the house because of the floods,i have spent a lot of time on line,and i came across some sites about building a ukulele from scratch. So now i have this idea that i would like to try this
The problem is i have no tools and have never built anything before,and the last time i did any woodwork was back at school.(long time ago now) So the first question is can it be done,and secondly what tools should i look to start collecting.
I am in no rush and understand that i have a steep learning curve to go through, but i have the time and would really like to build a uku preferably from scratch..
Also does anybody have any ideas of wood avialable in Thailand that would be suitable.

Anything that you have that is mahogany-like will do.

Can you get access to a school shop? Is there an adult education system in place with woodworking? Do you know any cabinet or furniture makers who would give you access to their shops.

It is expensive to set up to make instruments...there are shortcuts you just can't take unless you are really good with hand tools. There is no difference between what it takes to make ukes and what it takes to make guitars, and smaller instruments does not mean proportionately less tooling required.

You could do what I did - find some wood to recycle, go at it with hand tools, and learn by your mistakes. You'll throw about half the wood away, spoilt.

The minimum you need is (1) panel saw, (2) cross-cut saw, (3) saw to cut frets, (4) 2 chisels (one broad, one narrow), (5) half-round file, (6) cabinet scraper, (7) drill, (8) lots of sandpaper. To make a mould you need a jigsaw or coping saw, but you can make a peg mould using only a drill. I forgot the hammer to tap the frets in, but you could saw a mallet from your wood.

It's very hard labour using only these tools, but it can be done. Then you will want planes, spokeshaves, power tools to make the tedious thinning easier, and so on.

I've done very well out of an old wardrobe, and no 12 (below) turned out quite nicely (the top isn't wardrobe, but a wood-turning block I bought via eBay).

Yew Top 1890s (front).JPG

My guess is that in Thailand you have lots of teak - I've not heard of anyone making a teak uke, but it might work.

Top Bottom