Never Question Mike At UR.

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
He told me to try Fremont Blacklines on my Makai soprano, I did and I am in love. Just put them on my Ohana SK-22Z... also amazing. I am about to throw a set on my kala travel tenor.

I have worth browns and clears to test drive on my acacia and monkeypod tenors when they arrive. I think I am about done with aquilas.

Mike is very cool. I haven't had the opportunity to buy anything from him yet, but there's always the possibility that a Sailor Brand ukulele is in my future....

My strings of choice are Orca's & Worth Browns.
Aquilas are great on some instruments though.

I just dropped a set of the blacklines on on kala travels tenor. Deff less volume than the aquilas but such a warm and crisp even tone I don't even care. I did not get the high tensions for the tenor but the tension is still noticeably higher than the aqulias. Hope that does not cause structure issues, but it is a rather cheap uke so I am not too worried.

I have the worth browns and clears just waiting for the acacia and monkeypod tenors to come in from MIM. I am chomping at the bit.

On a side note. Got the strings from elderly. Uber fast shipping and decent prices.

I came within a hair of getting a sailor brand tenor, but that one is on hold for the moment.

Thanks for sharing your love for the Fremonts.
I've been wondering what uke to try the Fremonts on. I'll just find the uke that needs and change and give it a whirl.

Fremont Blackline mediums did wonders for a Kala Mighty Uke. I don't usually see such a night and day change.

But no matter the string, it's generally best to never question Mike. Not unless you need a 3am Uke wake up call. He just seems crazy enough to do it too. :)

I asked him a question once. Is that bad?

Update. Had to take them off my kala travel tenor. They sounded fantastic but the C buzzed soooo bad. I am just not willing to adjust the uke for the strings. I am going to try them on another uke because I do love the tone. The sopranos are working out great.

Try some Ko'olau Alohis on that Monkeypod

I agree, Mike is a great guy.....Yes as Phil stated, Koolau Alohi might do the trick...If the buzz is coming from the nut, those strings are a little thicker..

Top Bottom