PDA

View Full Version : Never Question Mike At UR.

AC Baltimore
11-23-2011, 10:11 AM
He told me to try Fremont Blacklines on my Makai soprano, I did and I am in love. Just put them on my Ohana SK-22Z... also amazing. I am about to throw a set on my kala travel tenor.

I have worth browns and clears to test drive on my acacia and monkeypod tenors when they arrive. I think I am about done with aquilas.

mds725
11-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Mike is very cool. I haven't had the opportunity to buy anything from him yet, but there's always the possibility that a Sailor Brand ukulele is in my future....

SailingUke
11-23-2011, 12:13 PM
My strings of choice are Orca's & Worth Browns.
Aquilas are great on some instruments though.

AC Baltimore
11-23-2011, 07:22 PM
I just dropped a set of the blacklines on on kala travels tenor. Deff less volume than the aquilas but such a warm and crisp even tone I don't even care. I did not get the high tensions for the tenor but the tension is still noticeably higher than the aqulias. Hope that does not cause structure issues, but it is a rather cheap uke so I am not too worried.

I have the worth browns and clears just waiting for the acacia and monkeypod tenors to come in from MIM. I am chomping at the bit.

On a side note. Got the strings from elderly. Uber fast shipping and decent prices.

I came within a hair of getting a sailor brand tenor, but that one is on hold for the moment.

SuzukHammer
11-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for sharing your love for the Fremonts.
I've been wondering what uke to try the Fremonts on. I'll just find the uke that needs and change and give it a whirl.

Plainsong
11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Fremont Blackline mediums did wonders for a Kala Mighty Uke. I don't usually see such a night and day change.

But no matter the string, it's generally best to never question Mike. Not unless you need a 3am Uke wake up call. He just seems crazy enough to do it too. :)

allanr
11-24-2011, 02:31 AM
I asked him a question once. Is that bad?

SuzukHammer
11-24-2011, 02:34 AM
I asked him a question once. Is that bad?

Good luck with that Allan. Let us know how that goes.

AC Baltimore
11-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Update. Had to take them off my kala travel tenor. They sounded fantastic but the C buzzed soooo bad. I am just not willing to adjust the uke for the strings. I am going to try them on another uke because I do love the tone. The sopranos are working out great.

PhilUSAFRet
11-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Try some Ko'olau Alohis on that Monkeypod

mm stan
11-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I agree, Mike is a great guy.....Yes as Phil stated, Koolau Alohi might do the trick...If the buzz is coming from the nut, those strings are a little thicker..